Natural

peter pandy

Yes Jasper, I dont see the point in seperate liberations when on Natural as I dont see the point in starting at 5 miles and small increases either. If birds cannot take a 20 mile jump or unable to fly 5 hours or more then they are not much use to me. I in all probability are one of the few who put birds in a basket then transfer them 5 minutes later into another basket handling them for any decrease in body weight which determines whether they are fit to go training or racing and there are many occasions when a bird looks and handles great but 5 minutes in a basket and it has changed. Have you in the past noticed that when basketing for a race they are in fine shape yet when you hand them over to a handler at the club house they are terrible. The double or even treble handling determines if I am sending them or not. I always give the bird the benefit of doubt..

Only birds not in right/ proper condition will appear to change condition when a pigeon is good going into the basket it is good coming out the basket. Anything else the pigeon is not 100% JMHO :P

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another crappy morning and had to take a big stick to them to get them moving but once out they went quite high which surprised me and stayed up in the gloom for 30 minutes before the big retreat back into the loft where they remained for the rest of the day. Gave them a half a Savoy cabbage to entertain themselves with and that was gone in an hour then put our Jack [terrier] in to keep them occupied. It is funny how birds just know they have nothing to fear from certain animals.

Only birds not in right/ proper condition will appear to change condition when a pigeon is good going into the basket it is good coming out the basket. Anything else the pigeon is not 100% JMHO :P

Ill tell ye what I think Billy, ive heard this saying from so called top fanciers for many years and after a lot of consideration ,I think it is a load of rubbish. Heres my findings, when you put a pigeon in the basket, most will automatically tighten up with excitement and nerves hence handling better ( or tighter ) when they are re-handled shortly afterwards. However, if you handle a pigeon that has been in the basket for 1,2.3 or more nights it definitely isn't as good as it went in, that's a fact . Its common sense really, if you are put in a police cell, although you have plenty of room, your fed and watered regularly and have a bed you will still come out that cell a wee bit worse for wear and its all down to stress . Stress knocks hell out of the birds and less stress , more success. In other words, less time in the basket, more success imo.

Derek, The so called top fancier who taught me about it was Eddy Newcombe himself when he could only send 12 to the National and I was with him that day and handled the birds myself before putting them out the door or into another basket after starting off with about 100+ birds. NAW I will stick to what I learnt from the master and lose less birds into the bargain..There is a difference between tightening up and losing weight..

Derek, The so called top fancier who taught me about it was Eddy Newcombe himself when he could only send 12 to the National and I was with him that day and handled the birds myself before putting them out the door or into another basket after starting off with about 100+ birds. NAW I will stick to what I learnt from the master and lose less birds into the bargain..There is a difference between tightening up and losing weight..

Peter I think you will agree a lot depends who is handling the birds at marking night,i have seen some bumpers in my time and the only thing they should be allowed to handle is between their legs,saying that at SNFC basketing they are fine handlers of a pigeon imo.

Being aulder than you I might just pip ye fur them but being oot the gemme in Scotia fur a while ya micht pip me LOL

Don't be so daft, ive more tickets in the last 2 years than you have in yer life . Do yer homework Peter, ive won the west sect 5 times, 4 times 2nd, 2 x 3rd etc etc 5th 7th 11th 16th 17th 24th open SNFC will I go on, now put yours up.

Edited by Delboy

Don't be so daft, ive more tickets in the last 2 years than you have in yer life . Do yer homework Peter, ive won the west sect 5 times, 4 times 2nd, 2 x 3rd etc etc 5th 7th 11th 16th 17th 24th open SNFC will I go on, now put yours up.

Room for improvement :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Top class M8

You can kid some of the folk some of the time but not all of the folk all of the time. This site has got worse, it can bring the worst out in ye. People are buying into all the speal, most of which is harmless but when you start believing your own hype and having a malicious go at the guys that have actually done it then it has to be stopped.

You can kid some of the folk some of the time but not all of the folk all of the time. This site has got worse, it can bring the worst out in ye. People are buying into all the speal, most of which is harmless but when you start believing your own hype and having a malicious go at the guys that have actually done it then it has to be stopped.

And who is doing that Derek ?.

If I wanted to fly especially well at federation racing,( although they are good at all racing ) I would ask the Macaloneys what their system was and how they did it. I wouldn't tell them they were talking pi sh after they told me something that worked for them. That would be foolish, don't you think? Peter,opinions are like ar se holes, everyones got one but there are certain opinions that should maybe be listened to more than others. Eddie Newcombe was a fantastic flier, maybe not just as good as his son though ( ye see I know the results )but very good anyway. You see,almost every single flier around that area are top notch at the distance. Billy Bilslands record compares now with only being down there 4 years.

Aye but you have to admit Derek the birdage was treble then than now and I dont believe birds have evolved to be faster rather the opposite. Sure, we as fanciers are more knowledgable and read about potion this and potion that but is it not market hype whilst in our day you only had Old Hand and Johnstone's Tonic LOL Aye and put a slater down their throat. Perhaps I am in a time warp but that is where I am comfortable :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Guest johnhunter

Aye but you have to admit Derek the birdage was treble then than now and I dont believe birds have evolved to be faster rather the opposite. Sure, we as fanciers are more knowledgable and read about potion this and potion that but is it not market hype whilst in our day you only had Old Hand and Johnstone's Tonic LOL Aye and put a slater down their throat. Perhaps I am in a time warp but that is where I am comfortable :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

peter you forgot keetons powder lol

Guest johnhunter

Another crappy morning and had to take a big stick to them to get them moving but once out they went quite high which surprised me and stayed up in the gloom for 30 minutes before the big retreat back into the loft where they remained for the rest of the day. Gave them a half a Savoy cabbage to entertain themselves with and that was gone in an hour then put our Jack [terrier] in to keep them occupied. It is funny how birds just know they have nothing to fear from certain animals.

peter I think you would be better eating the cabbage lol

A few questions to consider when yer talking about treblebirdage,better fliers etc. in the old days-

I’m sure things like losing yer best pigeons and/or pigeonsrelated to your best pigeons round the loft or from short tosses happened backthen, but was it as prominent as it is now?

Did fanciers often finish the season with less than half ofthe team they started with?

Were people worried about mixing their pigeons with otherfancier’s for fear of them becoming diseased?

Could they regularly toss in any direction they wanted at any sensible distanceand expect full returns and zero injuries?Or race on a beneficial line of flight and thinknothing of it?

I think I know the answers to these questions,I also thinkbefore championing the good fliers of days of yore it may be worth acknowledging how fortunate they were to race at a time when they could do what theydone with their pigeons.

I only have two right Stevie :emoticon-0136-giggle:. Must have been misinformed-most of the auld yins around here had never seen a bird of prey,let alone many of them, until 1980. They'd start most seasons wi 18 youngsters and have 19 left :emoticon-0140-rofl:

Aye ......them good old stories

Lewis,I have to agree with Stevie.

1] Yes, Birds were lost around the loft mainly to the numerous TV ariels and you could drop them in a short toss.

2] Yes, If you were left with half your team you done well as their was no line of flight or mobiles to keep in touch with the covoyer. I never heard of anyone having to dispose to make room. 1/3 of Old and Young was the normal left in the loft at the end of a season in the 60s 70s

3] No, We did not have the expertise of vets and medicines so if they were sick they went in the bucket.

4] Yes, I used to single up from the A66 South or Perth North on occasion and have them all home.

Ill tell ye what I think Billy, ive heard this saying from so called top fanciers for many years and after a lot of consideration ,I think it is a load of rubbish. Heres my findings, when you put a pigeon in the basket, most will automatically tighten up with excitement and nerves hence handling better ( or tighter ) when they are re-handled shortly afterwards. However, if you handle a pigeon that has been in the basket for 1,2.3 or more nights it definitely isn't as good as it went in, that's a fact . Its common sense really, if you are put in a police cell, although you have plenty of room, your fed and watered regularly and have a bed you will still come out that cell a wee bit worse for wear and its all down to stress . Stress knocks hell out of the birds and less stress , more success. In other words, less time in the basket, more success imo.

I kind of understand what you are saying young yin :emoticon-0136-giggle: .

But what I would add ppl that spend lots of time in a cell :emoticon-0136-giggle: .

And pigeons that spend a lot of time in a basket learn to adjust :emoticon-0136-giggle: .

For me pigeons only want to do the three F,s :emoticon-0136-giggle: .

I kind of understand what you are saying young yin :emoticon-0136-giggle: .

But what I would add ppl that spend lots of time in a cell :emoticon-0136-giggle: .

And pigeons that spend a lot of time in a basket learn to adjust :emoticon-0136-giggle: .

For me pigeons only want to do the three F,s :emoticon-0136-giggle: .

Tried to use edit function again but was refused get yir act together P/B.

Anyway wanted to add and the one S :emoticon-0136-giggle: