Scottish Homing Union Show

andy Burgess

So if the half breed has flown 100 mile proven by a race sheet........does it get judged like the rest??? That's the question

100% yeah

Pay the entry and qualify with rules

How good a world would it be if we all just.....

Let the person appointed to judge pick there picks

Shake the hand of the winners

Accept we have opinions and won't agree

Try again the next show

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I exhibited and judged Boxer dogs for over 20 years. There was always someone unhappy with a show result. There was a written and accepted breed standard, but there were many interpretations or opinions of what that written standard meant. Most attempted to treat it as a blueprint and judged in accordance with the written plan, but human nature dictated that others disagreed.

With our canine friends there were many other types of exhibition, obedience, working trials, agility and schutzhund trials. These disciplines were practical and therefore in most cases you could see what the dog had done, so there was less opportunity for disagreement.

Pigeons are no different in many respects!!!

In exhibitions of any specie there will always be disagreement. Basic human nature is a selfish one, we are all experts, let's say, so we are never satisfied with the opinion of others. If a show pigeon has been crossed with a racer and then flown a short distance, it is eligible to compete in a flown up to 200 mile class. We then come to the beauty part. Some have taken knocks and are no longer beautiful in the accepted sense, albeit to their owner these "battle scars" are accepted as emblems of beauty. The judge must complete his task by measuring against the standard for beauty.

This is the whole ethos of Shows.

Club shows should hold little or no interest for serious "show men". They do not lead to qualification for the more important shows, but are meant to provide an opportunity for "racing men" to continue to meet on a social basis throughout the winter months. At these shows, the "battle scarred" warriors of the sky should be given their place. Their intrinsic beauty of guts and determination should be accepted not as flaws, but as signs of that valour.

Now we reach the fundamental difference between opinions. Some "out and out racing men" will never accept or understand the beauty part of exhibitions, always wishing to favour the "racer", whilst those who appreciate the beauty shows will always favour the requirements outlined by the standard. :)

for me its simple if im asked to judge a racing pigeon class anything i dont think is a racing pigeon is discarded as dell says stop giving them tickets in a racing class and they will stop putting them in keep the show birds to the show classes

That's a fair opinion to be picking what you like or dislike and no one should argue with what you pick

It's kind of the point am making regarding the fact why should any persons opinion be slated on a site? If guys don't like certain type then don't pick them when judging, but don't then jump on a computer to slag the guys who have chosen to pick a bird (not saying your slagging anyone Walter- am just in general talk)

I Helped Davie at the show yesterday some of the racers were in poor condition for a big show. What would you rather he done give tickets to racers that were in poor nick just because they are 100% racers?

On the other hand great day out and thanks to the SHU for the hospitality.

Your right Frank, some of the racers are turned out terribly and can never get a ticket in front of a well turned out dipped doo BUT as long as the well turned out racers are not getting beaten by dipped doos for major prizes in a racing class.

Your right Frank, some of the racers are turned out terribly and can never get a ticket in front of a well turned out dipped doo BUT as long as the well turned out racers are not getting beaten by dipped doos for major prizes in a racing class.

i think that was what i was trying to say last night but being a wee bit drunk didnt put it across as well as i should the spelling fkd it up lol. del when i put doos into a show they are always minted prob the same as you would do yourself and thats the way they should be .but if they were not in that condition i cant complain when the dipped doos beat me. didnt like getting beat by dipped doos myself when i was taking doos to the big shows but it happened plenty of times

i think that was what i was trying to say last night but being a wee bit drunk didnt put it across as well as i should the spelling fkd it up lol. del when i put doos into a show they are always minted prob the same as you would do yourself and thats the way they should be .but if they were not in that condition i cant complain when the dipped doos beat me. didnt like getting beat by dipped doos myself when i was taking doos to the big shows but it happened plenty of times

Your right Davy, but you know the difference between them, it's the judges that can't spot it that shouldn't be judging imo

I had the privilege of judging two classes at the show first time at the show and first time judging a class of show doos have to say some poorly presented show doos ie lice ,blood on flights,moths been at them etc I handled at least half a dozen to get the feel of them as totally different from a racer and to be honest John bells doos which I gave 1 2 3 were minted miles ahead of the rest imo just like racing those that go the extra mile gets the results as for the old hens ttw there was only a handful of racers the rest were show doos or crosses but you can only pick your fancy you can't just give it to a racer based on that if there's far better conditioned birds beside them anyway I was pleased that bells doo had won three opens this year and won best yb at the top table maybe go into showing lol well done all involved l enjoyed my day ðŸ‘

I had the privilege of judging two classes at the show first time at the show and first time judging a class of show doos have to say some poorly presented show doos ie lice ,blood on flights,moths been at them etc I handled at least half a dozen to get the feel of them as totally different from a racer and to be honest John bells doos which I gave 1 2 3 were minted miles ahead of the rest imo just like racing those that go the extra mile gets the results as for the old hens ttw there was only a handful of racers the rest were show doos or crosses but you can only pick your fancy you can't just give it to a racer based on that if there's far better conditioned birds beside them anyway I was pleased that bells doo had won three opens this year and won best yb at the top table maybe go into showing lol well done all involved l enjoyed my day ðŸ‘

Thats it in a nutshell. My old boy said the same when he put bells show doo up at symington saying it was superb but in the most they were poor

This subject has been discussed the past few years on PB and I don't think much will change,IMO the big thing I noticed was the amount of racing fanciers who had not bothered to enter birds and this will continue until we have only show pigeons and dipped pigeons at the show. :partick-thistle-Crest:

This subject has been discussed the past few years on PB and I don't think much will change,IMO the big thing I noticed was the amount of racing fanciers who had not bothered to enter birds and this will continue until we have only show pigeons and dipped pigeons at the show. :partick-thistle-Crest:

Complete ban on cross breed John or two diffo shows?

Complete ban on cross breed John or two diffo shows?

Not sure stevie but for a long number of years I competed and enjoyed the big shows ( Fauldhouse,Lothian etc) which are now no longer with us but do not enter anymore,the criteria is in place stevie ie flown certificates,the likeliest classes are very much open to abuse,not sure what the answer is but pretty soon the big shows will have no racing pigeons :partick-thistle-Crest:

Have a criteria where the qualification into the class is based on performances from racing

Olympiad style

They have classes based on distance, birds position on results, number of birds competing

Shu offer classes for any pigeon to be on any result of a Scottish fed result/snfc result/snrpc result! Then you'll see ring numbers on results and know it's racing performer your in with

Not just birds that fly A to B because I bet a few of the actual racing birds in the classes are no better racing from A to B than dipped

Have a criteria where the qualification into the class is based on performances from racing

Olympiad style

They have classes based on distance, birds position on results, number of birds competing

Shu offer classes for any pigeon to be on any result of a Scottish fed result/snfc result/snrpc result! Then you'll see ring numbers on results and know it's racing performer your in with

Not just birds that fly A to B because I bet a few of the actual racing birds in the classes are no better racing from A to B than dipped

It's a good idea Brian but again maybe a bit of organizing,me personally Like most keep a dookit of racers and enjoy the challenge of trying to pick out the ones you think at this time of year can win the big :partick-thistle-Crest: show!!

I have kept both racers and show racers I have also judged both types but it comes down to on the day judging birds on condition, however I would be able to pick out a dipped bird, maybe racing classes should be for birds that have taken a club position in a race and proof of the race result sheet to be sent with the entry form