I Wonder What Colour Young Bird I Will Get

kraftykev

I have decided to mix my kirkpatricks up a bit next year and have decided for the first time to breed my stunning yellow kirkpatrick cock birds which are Louella based down the line with my black slightly pied kirkpatrick hens which are from firs loft down the line.I wonder what colors I will get. Cheers Kev

Blue x Blue = Blue cocks - Blue hens

Blue x Mealy = Mealy cocks - Blue hens

Blue x Blue Chq = Blue, Blue Cheq cocks - Blue, Blue Cheq hens

Blue x Red = Mealy, Red cocks - Blue, Blue Cheq hens

Mealy x Blue = Blue, Mealy cocks - Blue, Mealy hens

Mealy x Mealy = Mealy cocks - Blue, Mealy hens

Mealy x Blue = Mealy, Red, Blue cocks - Mealy, Red Blue hens

Chequer = Blue Cheq cocks - Blue Cheq hens

Mealy x Red = Mealy, Red cocks - Mealy, Red, Blue, Blue Cheq hens

Blue Cheq x Blue = Blue, Blue Cheq cocks - Blue, Blue Cheq hens

Blue Cheq x Mealy = Mealy, Red cocks - Blue, Blue Cheq hens

Blue Cheq x Blue Chq = Blue, Blue Cheq cocks - Blue, Blue Cheq hens

Blue Cheq x Red = Mealy, Red cocks - Blue, Blue Cheq hens

Red x Blue = Blue, Blue Cheq, Red, Mealy cocks - Blue, Blue Cheq, Red, Mealy hens

Red x Mealy = Mealy, Red cocks - Mealy, Red, Blue, Blue Cheq hens

Red x Blue Cheq = Blue, Blue Cheq, Red Mealy cocks - Blue, Blue Cheq, Mealy, Red hens

Red x Red = Mealy, Red cocks - Mealy, Red, Blue, Blue Cheq hens

I will let you all know what colors I get

As stated above, the colour of the young will depend on what the recessive yellow of the cock is masking; blue or ash-red or both. One thing is certain, all the daughters will be dilute and all the sons will be intense-coloured, but carry dilute.

There are a number of variables that will dictate the colour of the young;

Masked by the recessive yellow, the cock could be blue bar/blue chequer, red bar/red chequer, he could also be spread.

If the black hen is homozygous spread i.e. S(black)//S(black), all the young will be spread, she could also carry recessive red. If she is not homozygous spread, some of the colours listed below could be produced.

The possibilities are:

Black, dun, blue bar, blue chequer, dilute blue bar, dilute blue chequer, spread ash-red, dilute spread ash-red, red bar, yellow bar, red chequer, yellow chequer, recessive red, recessive yellow.

If, for example, the cock is pure for ash-red dilute (under the recessive red dilute) and the hen is pure for spread and not carrying recessive red, the young will be spread ash-red cocks and dilute spread ash-red hens. If the cock is blue (under the recessive red) and the hen is pure for spread and not carrying recessive red, the youngsters will be black cocks and dun hens.

Those two examples are the simplest to explain, so I hope they are of some help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hi tommy. i dont race myself anymore but i do like to breed the old kirkpatricks and race them in one loft races. this year i have a team of 5 racing north with the rpra one loft race and a team of four flying south with the mnfc. in 2009 i had a yellow kirkpatrick hen who did all her training, flow in hotspot races and flow the big final race with the rpra one loft race. i race under the name spencroftkirkpatrick if you want to follow my little team of old fashion kirkpatricks taking on the big boys with their fashionable strains lol