Choose An Area

Guest greegsy

Guest greegsy

Hypothetically..........If you were inclined to run a one loft race and had the pick of any County or Area in the country where would you set the loft up, and Why. ??

Hypothetically..........If you were inclined to run a one loft race and had the pick of any County or Area in the country where would you set the loft up, and Why. ??

Oban :) to see if other people and other birds make a better go of it than I have. Would be a real test for the doos for sure. And I could get involved :)

Been to a lot of OLR's and don't think area has anything to do with it as all birds are flying to same place

Honesty and integrity are the things I see missing greed takes over

You must have an avian vet on your door to keep birds healthy

As all OLR's are designed to make money for the organizers as long as they have something left for the final they think it is successful

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Been to a lot of OLR's and don't think area has anything to do with it as all birds are flying to same place

Honesty and integrity are the things I see missing greed takes over

You must have an avian vet on your door to keep birds healthy

As all OLR's are designed to make money for the organizers as long as they have something left for the final they think it is successful

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

I think location has a lot to do with it IF it is run properly. Billy Holland ran one down in the south east of Scotland but it wasn't really successful because of the hassle he had with planning etc. If one was set up in the same place without the problems he had, with a good loft, good management and 100% commitment then I think it would be a brilliant success.

I think location has a lot to do with it IF it is run properly. Billy Holland ran one down in the south east of Scotland but it wasn't really successful because of the hassle he had with planning etc. If one was set up in the same place without the problems he had, with a good loft, good management and 100% commitment then I think it would be a brilliant success.

What difference does it make where the birds fly to ?

Your only thinking on the Snfc and the chances of winning

The race would be successful anywhere

The most important word you used Derek IF

Which is not the case in a lot of races I have seen :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Got to agree with you,sorry Ian but what a way to see the Scottish birds entered in the SNFC and nobody with over or underfly or sections to play any part in the results,would be interesting omho.

What difference does it make where the birds fly to ?

Your only thinking on the Snfc and the chances of winning

The race would be successful anywhere

The most important word you used Derek IF

Which is not the case in a lot of races I have seen :emoticon-0136-giggle:

hahahaha cracker Ian, im talking about a olr and getting the birds to the final race, nothing to do with the SNFC/SNRPC.THE LOCATION IS EVERYTHING!!!! THE OLR SHOULD BE LIBERATED ITSELF ANYWAY.

As well as location I think getting birds to the final race would largely depend on the choice of hotspot races and trainers.

Saw the figures for the AV fed young bird entries and the entry for the 7th race at roughly 150 miles,was approximately 91% of the number sent to the 1st race and approx 60% of the number sent to the race which had the highest entry(the 5th race).

To get plenty in the final and make the race more attractive going forward race program is important. The race program choice was possibly one of the flaws with the Lamberton OLR,geared more at the SNFC YB national than the OLR final itself.

I agree with you rooster the more at the final race the better. If you pay a few quid to enter and end up way nothing at the final race you prob wouldn't send back the following year .so yes 100% location is prob the most important part of any OLR , along with integrity .

Think health would be one the biggest factors as well.Be very hard to keep such a big number of doos from such mixed origins healthy.

I remember a wee guy from easthouses starting up a one loft race ,sickness ended his enterprise . Can't for the life of me remember his name ,he won the snrpc inland national with heart of Midlothian .

Guest greegsy

Interesting replies but I'm inclined to agree with Rooster that getting as many as possible to the Final is paramount to long term success. With that in mind I would think that Delboy's South East location would have the best chance of getting them into the final.

I know they would face the dreaded no matter where they raced to/from but reducing this to a minimum would be the sensible way to go about it and the west side of the country is recognised as the most densely populated bop area so south east for me too.

The Somerset race is geared towards making the training and racing as hard as they can get it with no attention to numbers. No doubt the winners in that particular race are exceptional birds and the management must suit the guys who enter and re enter year on year but personally I think from the fanciers viewpoint having your bird in with a chance of the Big prize in the final event/race is most important. jmho