Tic Beans Or Maple Peas

REDCHEQHEN

If you had the choice of either at a similar (lowish) price - which would you go for - and why?

This is to overwinter birds and for breeding in January

if the quality is good, and the price (low-ish) i would buy both . just a small amount during winter (especially if locked up) , more so if out flying. both in great quantity when rearing . i can understand Tony,s view, yet colder up this way during the winter, so feeding a little heavier is some times needed, in my opinion :pidge:

if the quality is good, and the price (low-ish) i would buy both . just a small amount during winter (especially if locked up) , more so if out flying. both in great quantity when rearing . i can understand Tony,s view, yet colder up this way during the winter, so feeding a little heavier is some times needed, in my opinion :pidge:

I did buy both in the end

They had offers on '3' bags (it was 4 bags last year)

So 3 of each was £44 (£20 for 3 bags of tic beans and £24 for 3 bags of maples - 20kg bags)

• 2 weeks later...

You are the ENVY of all the fanciers in Europe as you have on your doorstep the BEST Maples in the world growing in your country which we cannot get our mits on since joining the EEC. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I thought feeding to many maples in there diet was bad for there liver there are fanciers over here that do not feed maples at all

If were talking of a % in mixtures I'd go for Tic beans every time. Over the past few years I've found maples to be of a very low quality in a variety of mixes.

I have found mine leave the maples if they get a choice ,This year I used a vl mixture in the pots during breeding and beans in the hopper and the maples were being left

although when I changed to Le Souths breed and wean they eat the lot

I thought feeding to many maples in there diet was bad for there liver there are fanciers over here that do not feed maples at all

The late Alf Baker from London was the top flier for years winning all before him and fed 60% New Zealand Maples and 40% Cinquentinha Maize. "See Old Pictorials for all his methods".