Buying From Noneflying Breeders

Guest MBpigeonguy

Guest MBpigeonguy

Is it a risk to buy birds from a breeder, who never fly's his birds? I know this breeder who has amazing looking birds imported but.. he never fly's any of his birds, just breeds and sells them. does this effect how good the birds are if their parents and their parents parents never left the loft? thanks

It might, it might not, is the complicated answer. :)

Some would feel that the strain had not been tested, so there was no evidence that the abilities were still there. Others would feel that "blood will out" and the abilities always remain.

If you buy from a "top" racer, you still have no guarantee that what you buy will race, so depending on the price it could be worth a "punt". :)

MB it certainly will affect the chances of finding good birds. I a racing loft poor/weak birds would have been either lost or culled. In a loft such as you describe everything will be kept and bred from and everything sold with no testing of the stock. Of course if he had bred alot of winners for others then that's one way of sanitising the results. Hope that helps

Baz

Perhaps the fella feels he is not able to race, but is having good results from others who do race his pigeons. Part of the fun in this hobby is the uncertainty. You can never be certain that what you breed will be good enough. Likewise whether they will return from the race, let alone in good enough time to win.

If your intention is to do well and win, then I feel you should buy the very best you are able to afford. Buy a proven pair and breed from them in the hope that you will be able to fly the progeny well enough to win, but don't look for, or expect "overnight success". :)

Guest MBpigeonguy

No one races his birds. He's not expensive at all but he breeds whites and I wanted to get a pair or 2 to give them a shot. I really want to try create some gay peids if that's even possible. 😊