Anibiotics. Via A Medical Program

ghostrider

My father in law has been watching a medical program about antibiotics and the digestive system.

By a professor ...It appears that if all the bacteria good and bad is killed through antibiotics, the good cannot regenerate on its own, and neither can it be put back through yoghurt/probiotics. The only way, the program said, was through putting someone else's poo directly into the stomach (via endoscopy) , this donor had to have a healthy digestion themselves.

It's like if you buy a brand new fish tank you have to put a bacterial culture from another established tank before the water is suitable for fish to live in.

This is surely the same for all living things.

Don't POO POO IT :)

Interesting, however I purchased a brand new aquarium nearly 5 years ago and filled it with tap water, Put 20 fish in and still to this day have 12 left. My outside pond when it gets a little dirty I put the hose in it and leave overnight to flush it out and they are 10 years old now and yet I always let the birds drinking water sit 24 hours before filling the drinker. The idiosyncrasy of us all.

Interesting, however I purchased a brand new aquarium nearly 5 years ago and filled it with tap water, Put 20 fish in and still to this day have 12 left. My outside pond when it gets a little dirty I put the hose in it and leave overnight to flush it out and they are 10 years old now and yet I always let the birds drinking water sit 24 hours before filling the drinker. The idiosyncrasy of us all.

Few years ago I bought a 4x2 tank,power head..every thing brand new,including water tablets to take all the crap

Out of the tap water, chlorine etc

Bought to clown loaches,2 angel fish,and a few others,they all went belly up within a couple of days!

Not long after....

It was a mate of my brothers ( who had tropical/and marine aquariums )who told me to go around to his place and collect a bag of Bactria,from his tank,and to let it build up for a couple of weeks,then introduce a couple of fish at a time,after that all was ok

Suppose it all down to your water provider :animatedpigeons:

My father in law has been watching a medical program about antibiotics and the digestive system.

By a professor ...It appears that if all the bacteria good and bad is killed through antibiotics, the good cannot regenerate on its own, and neither can it be put back through yoghurt/probiotics. The only way, the program said, was through putting someone else's poo directly into the stomach (via endoscopy) , this donor had to have a healthy digestion themselves.

It's like if you buy a brand new fish tank you have to put a bacterial culture from another established tank before the water is suitable for fish to live in.

This is surely the same for all living things.

Don't POO POO IT :)

I had a big operation on my stomach years ago, after the op i took really bad diarrhoea and my stomach blew up rock hard had to get injections to stop this reason given all bacteria in my stomach killed off with being exposed to fresh air for 8 days the skits went on everytime i ate but it stopped and things came back to normal so bacteria must regenerate IMO.

It would be unlikely that any antibiotic would kill all bacteria. For example if you treat a bacterial infection with an inappropriate antibiotic then you still have a bacterial infection. That is why sensitivity tests are done before treatment.

However what you appear to say is that probiotics don't help restore good bacteria if it has been wiped out.

Therefore are probiotics a big con ( not related to pigeons but life itself) or do they work when the good bacteria has only been reduced.

It's really too big a subject for myself.

Been there done the fish pond thing without problem till the fish grew to such an extent that the waste produced was out with the capacity of the filter to convert it from ammonia to nitrate.

i have had a fish tank for years and top it up with tap water and they thrive on it , tropical that is, now my y/b on weaning goes into the y/bird loft and i dont scrape for the season apartr from the perches, not on deep litter but on grids, never had a problem with sickness and dont treat for anything,if a youngster isnt thriving its done away with sharp.thwe only thing i watch is newcomers to the dookit and they are held in a box till acclimatized to the otgher birds before released and after a week if they look iffy they are away as well, i dont beleive all the crap about bottles of this and that, if the bird has the contstusion itll thrive and do well, thwe only additive i putin to the feed once a week is mollasses and they do well on it, full o vitamens, a tip i got from wilson noble fae the broch who i beleive is still the record holder for the longest distance doo into scotland, i also think every doo is a homer therefore i only feed straight corn like beans, wheat,barley,maize,corn so they will if lost will recognize and eat off the fields, getting back to the thread, imo dont dose, do away, only my opinion mind, my finger is bust so ime off. :emoticon-0140-rofl:

Its called a faecal transplant - I didn't see the TV programme, but having suffered from an inflammatory bowel condition for many years - it is a treatment offered more in the USA (but wasn't offered here)

Someone with an inflammatory bowel condition ie Crohn's disease or Ulcerative colitis does not have the abundance of intestinal flora that a normal human being has (for some reason) - one of the treatments offered - again in the USA - is a high concentration probiotic called VSL3

And what did I get? I got an experimental course of antibiotics consisting of 3 powerful antibiotic drugs - one to treat leprosy, one to treat TB and one to treat chest infections (dapsone rifampicin and clarithromycin)

I took them for 4 months, and they made me really ill, chest infections I had never suffered from - and I got a chest infection whilst on these medications - and needed an inhaler, mouth ulcers so severe I could not eat - and moreover - it did absolutely nothing for the inflammatory bowel disease