Yb Bird Racing Is It Time To Look For Alternatives?

ForestForever74

Hi All,

Is it time for people to take a serious look at yb racing? Are numbers in baskets for this weekends races and the subsequent MIA doo's surprising? What are peoples thoughts?

We are not racing young birds this season.

I think the first step to solving the problem of yb losses is honesty....i.e. Today our controller openly told everyone that on liberation our convoy was hit by 3 percy's and We knew what to expect, erratic returns and heavy losses and most importantly we knew the reason why!! What I mean is the first step to solving the problem is getting everyone singing from the same hymn sheet....there are still many fanciers who believe the BOP situation is exaggerated.....and I must admit that I leaned toward that perception but today because of our race controllers honesty my mind has been changed....and that's no the bacardi talking.

I think the first step to solving the problem of yb losses is honesty....i.e. Today our controller openly told everyone that on liberation our convoy was hit by 3 percy's and We knew what to expect, erratic returns and heavy losses and most importantly we knew the reason why!! What I mean is the first step to solving the problem is getting everyone singing from the same hymn sheet....there are still many fanciers who believe the BOP situation is exaggerated.....and I must admit that I leaned toward that perception but today because of our race controllers honesty my mind has been changed....and that's no the bacardi talking.

If the bop problem is not sorted the future of pigeon racing is finished :mad:

I have raced pigeons most of my life and this year has been the worst ybird training season I have ever experienced I know that there is a bop nest 5 miles down the coast from us and 10 miles further down so two I know of anyway this year training from same place montrose first toss scattered dropped 14 one back ripped open but will survive second toss montrose again scattered dropped 5 one reported dead from the shu and where was it found stcyrus beach bop site our birds are homing on line but are getting attacked and chased all over the sky. our first race yesterday we have 7/29 so looks like we won't be feeding percy the rest of this season. I am thinking of packing the birds in just doesn't seem to be worth the hard work

I have raced pigeons most of my life and this year has been the worst ybird training season I have ever experienced I know that there is a bop nest 5 miles down the coast from us and 10 miles further down so two I know of anyway this year training from same place montrose first toss scattered dropped 14 one back ripped open but will survive second toss montrose again scattered dropped 5 one reported dead from the shu and where was it found stcyrus beach bop site our birds are homing on line but are getting attacked and chased all over the sky. our first race yesterday we have 7/29 so looks like we won't be feeding percy the rest of this season. I am thinking of packing the birds in just doesn't seem to be worth the hard work

I think your not alone with your views, a lot of fanciers are considering packing the birds up. :(

Your right Stuart but what took you so long to realise what is happening

Pigeon men cannot agree on anything we have transporters running 60% empty but will not convoy others

We have clubs with only 2 or 3 members flying but will not join a bigger clubs

We have fanciers who cannot get into a club Clubs that cannot get into Feds

Unions that won't uphold the interests of ALL members

We have 2 National clubs in Scotland which is ridiculous ??

We have Unions that are only interested in making money and do not represent there members properly (not going to quote problems we all know them)

We seem to be governed by people only interested in there own Egos

We have some dominant people who want there own way at any cost

Why you may ask

Answer we the members don't want to do anything we are happy to leave it to others and then complain when things go wrong but we will still not do anything about it

I could go on all day but why at 68 I think I have seen it all

Greed

Profit

Spitefullness

Lack of support

Lack of interest

Unhelpfull members

And the ego trippers

And the biggest of all the RSPB and there Very powerfull lobbying of Parliment our Unions cannot and will not compete so we just keep funding charities who do not help us in any way

I do not know any other sport or organisation that has this problem and sits back and accepts it untill we get TOGETHER and all sing from the same hymn sheet we will get NOWHERE

Hope the members get there birds back but for what another slaughter next week?

Good on your driver for reporting it and Officials for not covering it up

Ian Mckay

Pigeon men cannot agree on anything we have transporters running 60% empty but will not convoy others

We have Unions that are only interested in making money and do not represent there members properly (not going to quote problems we all know them)

Why you may ask

Answer we the members don't want to do anything we are happy to leave it to others and then complain when things go wrong but we will still not do anything about it

Greed

Profit

Spitefullness

Lack of support

Lack of interest

Unhelpfull members

And the ego trippers

And the biggest of all the RSPB and there Very powerfull lobbying of Parliment our Unions cannot and will not compete so we just keep funding charities who do not help us in any way

I do not know any other sport or organisation that has this problem and sits back and accepts it untill we get TOGETHER and all sing from the same hymn sheet we will get NOWHERE

Ian Mckay

Best post on here for years

Why you may ask

Greed

Profit

Spitefullness

Lack of support

Lack of interest

Unhelpfull members

And the ego trippers

Ian Mckay

10 out of 10 top of the class :animatedpigeons:

In the early 1990's when I lived on a farm just as you enter moffat ,I had wonderful views 50/60 miles to Cumbria on a good day

The late Jocky Harrison from Leshmahagow used to phone me as he was the then race controller ,It was one Saturday the lanarkshire ybs were racing from Locharbriggs and I witnessed the convoy being dispersed all over the sky's at Beattock by 1 Peregrine Falcon ,I reported this to Jocky and told him to expect gappy returns as the birds were trying to regroup . One of the lads that I know told me then that there were 14 pairs in the moffat water valley alone ,the highest concentrated group out with Cumbria THAT WAS 1990 Gentlemen

Two years ago whilst my young birds were loft exercising and ranging the town they were attacked and put to ground by the male female and their 3 young it took them hours to make the safety of the loft

Now imagine our young birds being struck on release by family's of Falcons then by the next and next again only miles apart but miles from the safety of their lofts

Just multiply numbers from the 90's and the answer is there for All to see

No ifs or buts JUST THE TRUTH

I know we would all like to educate our youngsters properly but how the hell can we under the aforementioned Conditions

Why you may ask

Greed

Profit

Spitefullness

Lack of support

Lack of interest

Unhelpfull members

And the ego trippers

Ian Mckay

:emoticon-0137-clapping: :emoticon-0137-clapping:

I believe that yous guys who race from Thornton always get hit big time, IMO I cant understand why you always go to Thornton with either Old birds or Young birds, there is plenty other places you can also try, try and get some decent racing. YES, it dosent matter where you go, Aerial Bandits every where, but why keep on going to Thornton, come on lads, WAKE UP AND SMELL THE BREWED COFFEE. :animatedpigeons:

In the early 1990's when I lived on a farm just as you enter moffat ,I had wonderful views 50/60 miles to Cumbria on a good day

The late Jocky Harrison from Leshmahagow used to phone me as he was the then race controller ,It was one Saturday the lanarkshire ybs were racing from Locharbriggs and I witnessed the convoy being dispersed all over the sky's at Beattock by 1 Peregrine Falcon ,I reported this to Jocky and told him to expect gappy returns as the birds were trying to regroup . One of the lads that I know told me then that there were 14 pairs in the moffat water valley alone ,the highest concentrated group out with Cumbria THAT WAS 1990 Gentlemen

Two years ago whilst my young birds were loft exercising and ranging the town they were attacked and put to ground by the male female and their 3 young it took them hours to make the safety of the loft

Now imagine our young birds being struck on release by family's of Falcons then by the next and next again only miles apart but miles from the safety of their lofts

I know we would all like to educate our youngsters properly but how the hell can we under the aforementioned Conditions

mick thats the best post yet as i mentioned before in a post liberating midweek from lockerbie the birds always did it in 61miles 1 ,15 1,20 then one day i seen percy hit 4 hours for winner and only 8 on day lot did turn up over next day but that was exsperienced old birds , young birds no chance , there only getting taught to wander the hills now

maybe pigeon women are the answer? :emoticon-0138-thinking::emoticon-0136-giggle:

seen a few that would scare the kite oot the percies mind :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: get a few pics of them on top of the transporters :emoticon-0140-rofl:

well said ian but i cant undertand why any convoyer would want to hide the fact that birds are being attacked at any race point why hide it its not there fault and nothing they can do about it once the birds are in the air but if the they report it at least we can try somewhere else if the birds get hit at the lib site the race is a disaster in most cases and uneducated birds just add to the problem imo

I believe that yous guys who race from Thornton always get hit big time, IMO I cant understand why you always go to Thornton with either Old birds or Young birds, there is plenty other places you can also try, try and get some decent racing. YES, it dosent matter where you go, Aerial Bandits every where, but why keep on going to Thornton, come on lads, WAKE UP AND SMELL THE BREWED COFFEE. :animatedpigeons:

North scotland Fed were at cowdenbeath it was aberdeen that were at thornton

well said ian but i cant undertand why any convoyer would want to hide the fact that birds are being attacked at any race point why hide it its not there fault and nothing they can do about it once the birds are in the air but if the they report it at least we can try somewhere else if the birds get hit at the lib site the race is a disaster in most cases and uneducated birds just add to the problem imo

Never said anyone hid it but it's first time I have seen a race controller reporting it :emoticon-0138-thinking: :emoticon-0138-thinking: :emoticon-0138-thinking:

for me the above post says it all, the birds are being hit numerous times on their way home from both training and racing by up to 5 percies at a time, I.E. Mammy, daddy, and the 3 weans, is it any wonder returns are terrible at times

Why you may ask

Greed

Profit

Spitefullness

Lack of support

Lack of interest

Unhelpfull members

And the ego trippers

Ian Mckay