When To Pair Widowhood

jasper24

Hi,

I know it's a while off, and people are concentrating on young bird racing but any advice would be much appreciated.

When would people advise pairing up old birds to try to have them inform during June.

I'm planning to rear a round of babies, then split when sitting 10 days on 2nd round then put on widowhood.

I only started racing old birds in 2014 and raced them on natural. I fancy giving the widowhood system a go in 2016.

Cheers

Buy yourself a copy of The Widowhood Year by Dave Allen. Take your time over the Autumn / early Winter to read it and take it all in. This will be a great reference book for your library. By the time late Winter comes around, you'll be well fixed to have formulated your own management system. OMO.

Buy yourself a copy of The Widowhood Year by Dave Allen. Take your time over the Autumn / early Winter to read it and take it all in. This will be a great reference book for your library. By the time late Winter comes around, you'll be well fixed to have formulated your own management system. OMO.

cant fault that reply :emoticon-0137-clapping:

Thanks for your advice.

I'll keep looking on Ebay & Amazon. At the moment I've seen people wanting between £45-£75 for a second hand copy.

One way to go about it is pair up in the first couple of weeks in January. When the youngsters are 12-14 days old remove the hens along with one youngster from each nest into the young bird loft, leave a youngster with the cock to rear. 18 days before your first race repair them so they're sent to the first race sitting. Remove the hens on race day before the cocks come home, let the cocks sit the eggs till they chuck them in then, they're on w/hood from then on in The benefits of doing it like this is you get a settled loft, all laying their 2nd round of eggs normally within a day of each other. Short training tosses can be given whilst driving then trained further whilst sitting.

One way to go about it is pair up in the first couple of weeks in January. When the youngsters are 12-14 days old remove the hens along with one youngster from each nest into the young bird loft, leave a youngster with the cock to rear. 18 days before your first race repair them so they're sent to the first race sitting. Remove the hens on race day before the cocks come home, let the cocks sit the eggs till they chuck them in then, they're on w/hood from then on in The benefits of doing it like this is you get a settled loft, all laying their 2nd round of eggs normally within a day of each other. Short training tosses can be given whilst driving then trained further whilst sitting.

I like the sound of your method.

Thanks