2 Day Race

C WRIGHT

My opinion is that they are a complete nonsense that ruin the race and introduce a chaos factor that nobody should want if they have any faith in their pigeon's ability to compete in a normal race. Hours of darkness are blown out the water, the race loses all structure. Long distance races are there for the birds that can fly 14-16 hours on the shift. If it is a ten hour race one day followed ed by 6 the next day it is not the same test. A 10,000m race is 25 laps of the track consecutively, they don't step off after 16 and come back the next day to do the last 9. And if they did they certainly wouldn't all re-start at different times, some before the clock has re-started, some after.

Designed 2 day races should only be a complete last resort where we are facing several days of holdovers and its the only way to have a race.

My opinion is that they are a complete nonsense that ruin the race and introduce a chaos factor that nobody should want if they have any faith in their pigeon's ability to compete in a normal race. Hours of darkness are blown out the water, the race loses all structure. Long distance races are there for the birds that can fly 14-16 hours on the shift. If it is a ten hour race one day followed ed by 6 the next day it is not the same test. A 10,000m race is 25 laps of the track consecutively, they don't step off after 16 and come back the next day to do the last 9. And if they did they certainly wouldn't all re-start at different times, some before the clock has re-started, some after.

Designed 2 day races should only be a complete last resort where we are facing several days of holdovers and its the only way to have a race.

It would be nice if the birds Noth of the central belt got a fair chance if liberated early enough not held till 7am or later thus reducing there chances of getting home on the shift

You cannot compare track races for humans with pigeons except to put forward an argument for late liberations to suit the central belt we have been subject to late liberations for years for no apparent justifiable reason

Well said

I agree 100%. I know it won't go down well with the men in the north, who I have total admiration for the sheer distance, I think if they can't be off between 5 - 7 then dont lib

Here you have guys from the east and south saying no way to midday libs, says it all doesn't it. All pigeons lying out is not a bad thing and brings a wee bit fairness to the sport BUT that does not and will not ever happen. Selfishness is always the killing factor . The last time we had a late lib the Gold cup was won in Peterhead. Nothing beats a doo on the night from the Gold cup, I agree, but lets think of others that this thrill is not possible . Its a national, that means ALL OF SCOTLAND not just east and south.

Here you have guys from the east and south saying no way to midday libs, says it all doesn't it. All pigeons lying out is not a bad thing and brings a wee bit fairness to the sport BUT that does not and will not ever happen. Selfishness is always the killing factor . The last time we had a late lib the Gold cup was won in Peterhead. Nothing beats a doo on the night from the Gold cup, I agree, but lets think of others that this thrill is not possible . Its a national, that means ALL OF SCOTLAND not just east and south.

I stated what I would RATHER have an early lib than a midday lib. SURELY that's your opinion also?

Never having "raced" past 290 miles, but I would say early liberation and an attempt at a one day race would be best. The dogged determination of the pigeons flying for all these hours to reach home is absolutely amazing. It cannot however be denied that to rise the following morning and start to do it all again shows an equal merit of dogged determination, sore muscles and aching bones do not deter these pigeons. It is yet a different test for them.

To deliberately liberate later in the day in order to force a two day race means that a different type of pigeon is able to come to the fore. One that cannot fly for 12 to 16 hours without break, but does have the determination to rise and do it all again. Some rise earlier than others, some have the ability to fly longer than others, it all depends on the particular virtue that the fancier is seeking when he becomes the breeder of his racing pigeon. :)

U only say that because ur dads one of the controllers they got it wrong Imo the birds would have came steadier on Saturday than sunday

Definitely, but now and again the disadvantaged boys need a wee turn.

Am not gan to patronise the boys in the north Derek by throwing them a bone now and again mate. They are proud pigeon men and revel in the distance they fly. Pigeon racing is a hard mistress and so many variations over such a large area mean that at some point in some situations EVERYBODY might feel disadvantages.

Never having "raced" past 290 miles, but I would say early liberation and an attempt at a one day race would be best. The dogged determination of the pigeons flying for all these hours to reach home is absolutely amazing. It cannot however be denied that to rise the following morning and start to do it all again shows an equal merit of dogged determination, sore muscles and aching bones do not deter these pigeons. It is yet a different test for them.

To deliberately liberate later in the day in order to force a two day race means that a different type of pigeon is able to come to the fore. One that cannot fly for 12 to 16 hours without break, but does have the determination to rise and do it all again. Some rise earlier than others, some have the ability to fly longer than others, it all depends on the particular virtue that the fancier is seeking when he becomes the breeder of his racing pigeon. :)

There are different types of pigeon in every race, ones to fly 12 hours to 470 mls ( south ) and ones to fly 17 hours to 600 mls ( north )so why don't we cater for them all?

There are different types of pigeon in every race, ones to fly 12 hours to 470 mls ( south ) and ones to fly 17 hours to 600 mls ( north )so why don't we cater for them all?

Ye have tae get them up early then

Am not gan to patronise the boys in the north Derek by throwing them a bone now and again mate. They are proud pigeon men and revel in the distance they fly. Pigeon racing is a hard mistress and so many variations over such a large area mean that at some point in some situations EVERYBODY might feel disadvantages.

Ive said it on here many times Dal, the fairness in this sport is needing looked at. Anybody outside pigeons would think we were nutters racing and competing in the format we do. There shouldn't be sections,we should be pooling against each other.Think of the money that could be won then. Just needs a formula put in place to decide the best pigeon on the day. Wind, terrain, drag, location, fatigue factor etc etc. It wouldn't make it completely fair but would maybe square things up about 80-90%.ps. THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN, WHY ???

Ive said it on here many times Dal, the fairness in this sport is needing looked at. Anybody outside pigeons would think we were nutters racing and competing in the format we do. There shouldn't be sections,we should be pooling against each other.Think of the money that could be won then. Just needs a formula put in place to decide the best pigeon on the day. Wind, terrain, drag, location, fatigue factor etc etc. It wouldn't make it completely fair but would maybe square things up about 80-90%.ps. THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN, WHY ???

The formula involved has far too many variants that's why it will never work

The formula involved has far too many variants that's why it will never work

LOL , why did I know you would say that, I rest my case ma lud lol. Try it without implementing it to see what the result would look like then we could decide if its feasible. You have the weather archives for anywhere in the country so the formula could be used with this.Im only saying for this to be used at National level, not club/fed stuff.

good debate and points raised exactly as i thought they would

2 day national would show a total different result from which we see year after year

its only a fair race if every bird in the race has a chance of getting home on the night

if not its not a fair race

therefore if it has to be a later lib it would defo be fair with an afternoon lib so no birds can get home on the night

might never happen but if it did well i am sure ever guy in scotland would have the flags out win or loss

IMO racing shouild be scheduled to suit everyone

this is not a dig a winners south of the border i take my hat of to those great fliers as well

but to enter a national with birds from north of tbhe border knowing you have AN EQUAL CHANCE AS EVERYONE ELSE WITHOUT RELYING ON WIND ECT

AHHHHHHHHH SOUNDS GOOD

DEFO TWO DAY RACE WOULD BRING THIS SO WHY NOT I SAY AND SURE OTHER DO AS WELL EVEN GUYS SOUTH I WOULD IMAGINE

RANT RANT RANT LOL

BRING IT ON HAHAHA