Swelling To Wing Joint

My birds are just getting over an illness and they still have swelling to there joints on each wing. I have read that it's a build up of salmonella bacteria in there joints.

They are looking much better in there selfs but wondering if this swelling will ever go away. Is this perminant damage?

My birds are just getting over an illness and they still have swelling to there joints on each wing. I have read that it's a build up of salmonella bacteria in there joints.

They are looking much better in there selfs but wondering if this swelling will ever go away. Is this perminant damage?

they would not be im my loft will be carriers and will pass it on

they would not be im my loft will be carriers and will pass it on

Had the same problem last year had half my ybs die in the nest and killed the ones with drooping wings an limp legs I have bred 60 ybs this year and not had one problem my best hen I had cannot fly due to this .the worst thing I have ever seen in pigeon .i brought in new birds last year from 4 different fanciers so that may have been the cause.hope this helps.

Had the same problem last year had half my ybs die in the nest and killed the ones with drooping wings an limp legs I have bred 60 ybs this year and not had one problem my best hen I had cannot fly due to this .the worst thing I have ever seen in pigeon .i brought in new birds last year from 4 different fanciers so that may have been the cause.hope this helps.

Terrible disease Kev have seen it wipe Lofts out and you never know where it can come from as the carriers can look the healthiest birds aswell

get rid of what shows symptons now ...and for the next few years, keep a close eye on what survived and their young...get rid when needed .....if pattern shows through young rid parents. Cruel disease and can take years to eradicate from lofts

I've spent so much money on these prisoners and all year dedicated my life to these birds, breeding and training the young. I've built up just short of 100 birds now. What am I ment to do, kill them all? I could not bring my self to do it! If I did get rid how do I know it won't happen again? I've spent 3-4 thousand pounds on my new lofts as well as birds, and all that time

Will this disease be imbedded in my loft?

I see the only alternative is to vaccinate annually against Paratyphoid proceeded by a course of Baytril.

You have to weed out the carriers so keep detailed records of your breeders e.g. youngsters bred & lost, youngsters that succumb to illness & youngsters that don't make up as well as other youngsters you house. Identify the carriers and eliminate from you loft.

you should really get a culture test done on 5 days worth of dropings and get a good pigeon vet involved the usual is 14 days on baytrill then wait a week to vaccinate you will need to vaccinate every year you should also look at if your keeping too many birds and look into getting a gas burner and do regular burn out of your lofts also be carefull that your food stuff is stored safely

you should really get a culture test done on 5 days worth of dropings and get a good pigeon vet involved the usual is 14 days on baytrill then wait a week to vaccinate you will need to vaccinate every year you should also look at if your keeping too many birds and look into getting a gas burner and do regular burn out of your lofts also be carefull that your food stuff is stored safely

Thanks for the advice all

How Do I know who is the carrier tho? They all have the swollen joint on the wing

In my personal opinion carriers of paratyphoid are the ones that show reaction to the vaccine

Would agree on that one

First encountered salmonella paratyphus many years ago very good stock birds that I had brought in suddenly had swollen wings and some could not get of the floor ,I blamed everything when in fact I was the cause of the whole problem . I had stored a pallet of feeding in my workshop / warehouse with all ok well so I thought until I got near the bottom of the pallet Mice had destroyed it ,There was the answer ,yes treat with baytril etc but they are never right

Disposed of all the birds showing symptoms then raced all the young of the remaining hard over two seasons the nests that did not produce birds were also eliminated have to be honest was just left with a select few .

Without a doubt in my mind pigeon lofts and food stores that have mice problems will never be successful

Good luck sadly there is no fast tract cure

Ps all my feeding is now kept in the spare bedroom

:emoticon-0127-lipssealed:

:emoticon-0127-lipssealed::emoticon-0127-lipssealed::emoticon-0127-lipssealed: I will say it then, nonsense , salmonella / paratyphoid can be passed through the egg so youngsters from infected old birds can definitely be infected

could you be a bit more specific lol lol

could you be a bit more specific lol lol

:emoticon-0127-lipssealed: :emoticon-0127-lipssealed: :emoticon-0127-lipssealed:

:emoticon-0127-lipssealed:

:emoticon-0127-lipssealed::emoticon-0127-lipssealed::emoticon-0127-lipssealed: I will say it then, nonsense , salmonella / paratyphoid can be passed through the egg so youngsters from infected old birds can definitely be infected

correct Davie you end up wuth dead in shell clear eggs sicko young uns etc no worth the hassle imo

It's a fact Davie and you and I both know it, think my post is specific enough , don't you think :emoticon-0136-giggle:

it sure is Davie .a very hard disease to completely eradicate but i think it can be kept in check with the correct treatment procedure jmo. Was just having a bit of a laugh before

it sure is Davie .a very hard disease to completely eradicate but i think it can be kept in check with the correct treatment procedure jmo. Was just having a bit of a laugh before

I know that Davie and that's how I took it, but it is a serious disease

I've spent so much money on these prisoners and all year dedicated my life to these birds, breeding and training the young. I've built up just short of 100 birds now. What am I ment to do, kill them all? I could not bring my self to do it! If I did get rid how do I know it won't happen again? I've spent 3-4 thousand pounds on my new lofts as well as birds, and all that time

Will this disease be imbedded in my loft?

I had it last year an was I treated with bay trail then a sent my samples to be tested an came back clear and as a said have bred the biggest team of ybs Ithis year with no problems whatsoever and old birds have been racing an not doing too bad as you said who could say you won't get it next year jmo