New Loft

Guest Hairylayer

Guest Hairylayer

Got myself a bigger loft, just need to dismantle it and move it to my bit of land, going to reduce it slightly as it'd 9ft wide by 24, going to cut out the few bits of rot and replace with other solid parts of the loft but 80 per cent of it is in great condition and was orginaly a pigeon loft then turned into a shed.

I've spent tonight stripping the tin sheet off the roof.

Any comments or suggestions on lay out, where to put doors, trapping etc

very welcome.

I would keep the loft as it is, put a corridor in it and let the birds trap through the open doors :)

Yip corridor right through will give you better Control of the birds. Get it up off the ground a bit and it looks great on my opinion

just do what ,pat and dal2 said,u won.t be far out,photos of your progress please, all the best with it.

Guest Hairylayer

I'd like to be able to be able to trap the birds as the loft won't be at my house I'll be letting them out and popping away to do school run or when I have a late bird, so I'd like the doors closed for trapping

can I still do this with a corridor? I like the idea of the corridor your loft was cracking dal2.

I'd like to be able to be able to trap the birds as the loft won't be at my house I'll be letting them out and popping away to do school run or when I have a late bird, so I'd like the doors closed for trapping

can I still do this with a corridor? I like the idea of the corridor your loft was cracking dal2.

You can have a small bob wire trap on each section door at ground level and an ETS pad if thats what you are going to use on the floor of the said section where the bird would pass over when it enters the section via the open door onto the corridor.

Guest Hairylayer

Got half the roof off last night only took the one picture, got a half day at work today so hope to make a bit more progress :animatedpigeons:

Guest stb-

me too Pat , maybe a few extra windows for sunlight (heat) ,looks like it could make a great loft :animatedpigeons:

mm a dont like heat in loft mines face north east and no roof lights not tje lightest loft inside and certanly no that warm lol

mm a dont like heat in loft mines face north east and no roof lights not tje lightest loft inside and certanly no that warm lol

How closed up is yours Rab? Im coming to the conclusion its not about heat, just lack of drafts.

Guest Hairylayer

Got the roof of and most of the roof trusses off in a couple hours this afternoon, hopefully get a couple hours tonight and over the weekend and get it moved early next week :emoticon-0123-party:

Guest Hairylayer

Got a couple of mates helping me shift the panels, when its dismantled.

Looking forward to getiing it put up again!

Definitely gonna put the corridor in thought I'd put two aivarys either side at the front and a large moveable one that fixes on to the door that I can use to trap train my young birds, what do you think lads?

Guest Hairylayer

Also thought I could make two mesh doors for the front so I can close when the main ones are open for more air but also so the can be used to devide the corridor in to 3 then all th the birds can have access to an aviary during the day.

Got a couple of mates helping me shift the panels, when its dismantled.

Looking forward to getiing it put up again!

Definitely gonna put the corridor in thought I'd put two aivarys either side at the front and a large moveable one that fixes on to the door that I can use to trap train my young birds, what do you think lads?

Aviary for captive stock and young uns a must in my opinion

Guest Hairylayer

Haha, that was me starting to get the roof off.

After I get rid of the rot I'll be left with a 16x8 loft,how would you lot set out the sections? I be got a wee 4x6 loft at the moment with a aviary which I think I'll keep as a stock loft if you think that's the best way?

Haha, that was me starting to get the roof off.

After I get rid of the rot I'll be left with a 16x8 loft,how would you lot set out the sections? I be got a wee 4x6 loft at the moment with a aviary which I think I'll keep as a stock loft if you think that's the best way?

I would say all depends on the type of racing you have in mind (roundabout - widowhood - natural ECT)

6+6+4 would give you a young bird end an old bird end and a 4ft hen section for roundabout ,the same

For widowhood .or 2 / 8 ft one for 1 for YB and 1 for natural ,good luck with what you decide to do .

Important plenty of ventilation .

Guest Hairylayer

Been building the base for the loft today and the side panels of the loft are 8ft 4 the ply I've acquired for the floor is 8ft, would it work to put a 4" strip of mesh along the back to act as my low level vent? It would be under nest boxes and perches so I could box the mesh of and fit vents,drill small holes or use more mesh th keep the birds from standing on it or would it allow damp to enter the loft from the ground? The lofts at least 18" off the ground if that makes any difference?