Nifuramycin

My ybs are not well

I got some birds from a chap I met over the Internet. He's been kind enough to give me about 40young birds for free. But he just had his birds tested and found they have salmonella.

Well mine are not to good. Some are skinny as whippet and all hunched up on the floor. They are off there food and some looking very ill. I've lost 4 birds over the last 2 weeks now.

Today I started treatment with Nifuramycin and I've been told this stuff will sort them out.

My problem is that I've only got 1packet that will only treat them for 3-4 days. I need to treat for 10-15 days so I need more packets!!!

Can any one on here PM me with detail were to buy some or any one can spare any for a fee.

PLEAS HELP. I don't want to loose my birds. It's my fist year and I'm afraid im going to loose the lot

• 9 months later...
Guest robscott

i had yb sickness once,rota boost 2000 put em right then i got told to use vanodine18 in drinker for 2 days every week (only tiny tiny bit needed though) never had yb sickness again ;-)

If salmonella is your problem then any vet should be able to help with an alternative medication.

I believe Baytril kills Salmonella as a last resort and I think you have reached the last resort stage.

If the cause is not Salmonella then you probably need professional help.

The problem is that there is no antibiotic that is 100% effective. Treatment of salmonella infections should be based on laboratory tests so that the appropriate antibiotic can be administered. You collect some droppings samples from the birds for several days and send them to a laboratory where, after a bacteriologic culture and an antibiogram, the right antibiotic will be prescribed. Make sure the pigeons didn’t receive antibiotics before the test for several weeks…or the test might be useless.

Treating the birds only for 4-5 days is pointless and stupid. Such a short cure will not cure Salmonella. It might just lower the symptoms and eventually put the bird in a carrier state (which is worse!).

Enrofloxacin / Baytril is usually prescribed for treating Salmonella, but only the lab test will confirm what exactly you need for your pigeons. A treatment with thrimetoprim (1 gr / 4 liters of water) takes a long time… if the weather is cold, the treatment should last 2 weeks, because the birds drink less water.DO NOT forget to give probiotics to the pigeons after the treatment because the antibiotics destroy ALL the bacteria in the intestines including beneficial bacteria. I’m amazed to see that often probiotics are forgotten, although they are extremely important in the fight against salmonella and for the well-being of the bird.