Breaking Birds To Your Loft

Guest Hairylayer

Guest Hairylayer

My loft Will be finished in the next day or so and I'm getting a few birds generously given to me by a member of pb, does anyone have any advise for breaking the birds to my loft?

How long will I need to keep them in?

Would I ever be able to race them if I transferred them?

Sorry for the daft questions but I'm just starting out and any help would be appreciated.

They are all yearlings or older if that's any help.

My loft Will be finished in the next day or so and I'm getting a few birds generously given to me by a member of pb, does anyone have any advise for breaking the birds to my loft?

Sorry for the daft questions but I'm just starting out and any help would be appreciated.

Hi Do you have a breaking cage that they can see their surroundings ? You won't learn

If you don't ask .there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to race them ,and I would

always transfer any bird you get as if it is reported it is you that it will be reported to and

Not the person you got it from .good luck .

Guest Hairylayer

I've built a 2x2x4ft flight onto the front of the loft (garden shed) with a ply wood floor and a clear corrugated plastic roof on it will that be enough for them? I'm just starting out small.

I've built a 2x2x4ft flight onto the front of the loft (garden shed) with a ply wood floor and a clear corrugated plastic roof on it will that be enough for them? I'm just starting out small.

Yes that should do , my advise is pair them up ,

wait till their or other youngsters are out and in then you have something for them to follow to loft when trying to break .best time IMHO to try breaking is on big youngsters , because if there too small the one parent prob won't feed them properly .

is the member who,s gifting the birds aware you will be "trying to settle them to your loft" ?? :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Going through the breaking process for some birds too at the moment, all the above is 100% correct,

I would also add, let them out singly at 1st, dont be surprised if some seem to disappear then return after a few hours or so, some sit out for a day or so hunger is a great master, and mostly be prepared to loose some they wont all break unfortunatly unless you get lucky.

so far I have broken 5 out of 6 in the last week , one has disappeared totaly .

PS as regards racing them a broken pigeon was 3rd club for me last weekend .

If you live near the guy that's giving you them, you could toss them a few times from your house and let them go back to his loft, if he doesn't mind you doing that. I seen this on a DVD. The guy reckoned it allowed them to know the area so that when he did get them down on eggs in the new loft they were more familiar with the route.

soupie

Guest Hairylayer

is the member who,s gifting the birds aware you will be "trying to settle them to your loft" ?? :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Yes I chatted with him on the phone, I'm collecting them on Sunday and will chat with him some more to check he is happy, his loft is about 50 miles away from mine.

How did it go with getting your stray back Andy? The offer is still there if you can get it closer to the A1 just let me know :D

We bought a yearling cock at blackpool many years ago! Kept him in for a year and he took to the area okay when he was paired up and eventually he came well from training with our own birds. We sent him to the first race which was 60 miles from Locharbriggs back to Cumbernauld but for some reason he decided to go home! It took him two weeks but he arrived home in Germany safe and sound! We got a letter in German from Mr Manfred Kreube telling us the bird had arrived home and did we want to send for him! If they have a mind to return home to their original home then they will.

Good luck with it mate :-)

like above when you get the birds let them settle in to new loft.make sure birds can fly in and out a big cage to see round their new home.let them pair up and raise 1 yb,each pair (would not take 2 yb.s from unproven birds).some of the yearlings should brake sooner than some of the older birds if thats thier 1st time breeding.when it comes time to start letting them out give the guy you got them from a phone to let him know your letting birds out the next day.that way he can watch for any going back and make sure any that do go back don,t get any food or water in thier old loft. he could also scare them a bit by just putting some small stones in a big tin and givng it a rattle.any that do go back go through to pick them up as soon as you can the same day if you can.bring back put back in new loft for 1 day making sure birds can fly in to cage to look around.the next day let out again if any birds go back to old loft .go through same day pick up make sure birds don,t get any feed or water and a good loud rattle with the tin with stones.bring back to new loft and same again.it might take a week and a few drives through for them.the birds will be quick to learn i broke birds in much the same way years back lucky for me thier old loft was not far away the birds where a mix of yearlings 2/3/4 year olds i then raced them and most of them raced well for me. the reason i say only keep in for 1 day after going through for any that go back to old loft 2 things in thier wee minds safe hear and unsafe thier.

Guest Hairylayer

like above when you get the birds let them settle in to new loft.make sure birds can fly in and out a big cage to see round their new home.let them pair up and raise 1 yb,each pair (would not take 2 yb.s from unproven birds).some of the yearlings should brake sooner than some of the older birds if thats thier 1st time breeding.when it comes time to start letting them out give the guy you got them from a phone to let him know your letting birds out the next day.that way he can watch for any going back and make sure any that do go back don,t get any food or water in thier old loft. he could also scare them a bit by just putting some small stones in a big tin and givng it a rattle.any that do go back go through to pick them up as soon as you can the same day if you can.bring back put back in new loft for 1 day making sure birds can fly in to cage to look around.the next day let out again if any birds go back to old loft .go through same day pick up make sure birds don,t get any feed or water and a good loud rattle with the tin with stones.bring back to new loft and same again.it might take a week and a few drives through for them.the birds will be quick to learn i broke birds in much the same way years back lucky for me thier old loft was not far away the birds where a mix of yearlings 2/3/4 year olds i then raced them and most of them raced well for me. the reason i say only keep in for 1 day after going through for any that go back to old loft 2 things in thier wee minds safe hear and unsafe thier.

Thanks for the great advice gents :animatedpigeons: