The Dordins

showman

Well, after a fair bit of searching and waiting over the past months, I finally got 5 pairs of Dordins together. It's going to take a bit of time to shape them into something, but I'm looking forward to the challenge. Put them together this morning in their own stock loft, and everything has gone really well. Have to spend a fair bit of time with them tomorrow, so I'll try to get a few pics up then.

Just a wee up-date on how they're getting on with the pairing. As reported the pairs were put together on Sunday afternoon, and were locked in their boxes for the night. The boxes in the stock loft are the widowhood type with plastic fronts.

Spent Monday letting each pair out for 30 minutes, and to be honest they all found their boxes under their own steam. When all pairs had been through this, I started the process again. Tuesday was spent the same way. The only difference made was when they were let out for the second time, I placed a nest bowl with felt in their box for their return. Over their 4 periods of 'freedom' all pairs found their own boxes, with no mix ups or fights. Sublime ! Again, all pairs were locked in their boxes on Tuesday night. Well, this morning I removed half of the widowhood fronts and gave the pairs their freedom again, this time all the birds loose at the same time. I stood outside the wire door and thought, right, this is when they're going to kick-off! I stood for 20 mins. All pairs left their boxes, fed and watered. No fighting, no problems, just the cocks crowing and chasing their hens. Just back in after checking again, and all pairs are in their own boxes, few cocks crowing and a few in their bowls calling.

So far it's been like something you'd read from a book. I remarked to Lorraine (wife) yesterday, that in 40 years of pigeons I had never personally witnessed such a smooth period of pairing up. So.......what's going to go wrong ? Blank eggs, dead in shell, dead in nest......we'll see !! LOL.

Just a wee up-date on how they're getting on with the pairing. As reported the pairs were put together on Sunday afternoon, and were locked in their boxes for the night. The boxes in the stock loft are the widowhood type with plastic fronts.

Spent Monday letting each pair out for 30 minutes, and to be honest they all found their boxes under their own steam. When all pairs had been through this, I started the process again. Tuesday was spent the same way. The only difference made was when they were let out for the second time, I placed a nest bowl with felt in their box for their return. Over their 4 periods of 'freedom' all pairs found their own boxes, with no mix ups or fights. Sublime ! Again, all pairs were locked in their boxes on Tuesday night. Well, this morning I removed half of the widowhood fronts and gave the pairs their freedom again, this time all the birds loose at the same time. I stood outside the wire door and thought, right, this is when they're going to kick-off! I stood for 20 mins. All pairs left their boxes, fed and watered. No fighting, no problems, just the cocks crowing and chasing their hens. Just back in after checking again, and all pairs are in their own boxes, few cocks crowing and a few in their bowls calling.

So far it's been like something you'd read from a book. I remarked to Lorraine (wife) yesterday, that in 40 years of pigeons I had never personally witnessed such a smooth period of pairing up. So.......what's going to go wrong ? Blank eggs, dead in shell, dead in nest......we'll see !! LOL.

have a bit more confidence in them , theyve done well so far Paul :pidge:

• 3 years later...

You've had a bit of luck there locking birds up all night that's just been put together

Sorry, but luck doesn't even come anywhere into it !!

Many years of patience and observing within itself will remove any 'luck'.

……….'we have no time to stand and stare' .....