Quill Mite

anto b

cloracarb is the only thing that kills them m8 ive tried everything else and nothing is as good a full packet in a bucket of luke warm water hold the birds wings open slightly and dip the bird in up to its eye level hold for few seconds then dip the bird in right in over the head quickly and put back in the loft does the job this season i tried putting half a packet into there bath then 2 weeks later the other half in the bath and it worked all birds spotless and saved me catching them all so will be doing the same next year

Did have some birds with them before ! Only seem to notice them on white Flights for some reason ?? I put some Garlic/vinegar solution which I make up myself and add to luke warm bath water every second or third bath (feathers get a better soaking imo ) and iv not notice them for a while

cloracarb is the only thing that kills them m8 ive tried everything else and nothing is as good a full packet in a bucket of luke warm water hold the birds wings open slightly and dip the bird in up to its eye level hold for few seconds then dip the bird in right in over the head quickly and put back in the loft does the job this season i tried putting half a packet into there bath then 2 weeks later the other half in the bath and it worked all birds spotless and saved me catching them all so will be doing the same next year

Cloracarb is banned now same as everything else that works now adays

must say ive tried most kinds of ivermectin drops and found them useless against quill mite and was told by a dutch vet over dose with ivermectin can make birds infertile so be very carefull how you use it was also told to try half a bottle of normal vinegar in the bath water have not tried this yet but if i cant get cloracarb i will try it but i use cider vinegar in the water which you would think would be in the pigeons blood and so stop the mite from feeding but it does not same with garlic it just does not stop them another problem is lots of fanciers dont know what they are and only check for lice which are easy to get rid of quill mite is much harder to get rid of imo duramitex works on them to 3rd of a bottle in a bucket of water then dip them the down side is it stinks and makes the birds feathers very dry so if your dipping them with duramitex do it 2or3 weeks before racing starts and dont let them bath for a week after dipping then plenty baths till the feathers get back to normal some oil on the feed helps to

ps i would bet 90 percent of lofts have quill mite and dont know it

Edited by walterboswell59

must say ive tried most kinds of ivermectin drops and found them useless against quill mite and was told by a dutch vet over dose with ivermectin can make birds infertile so be very carefull how you use it was also told to try half a bottle of normal vinegar in the bath water have not tried this yet but if i cant get cloracarb i will try it but i use cider vinegar in the water which you would think would be in the pigeons blood and so stop the mite from feeding but it does not same with garlic it just does not stop them another problem is lots of fanciers dont know what they are and only check for lice which are easy to get rid of quill mite is much harder to get rid of imo duramitex works on them to 3rd of a bottle in a bucket of water then dip them the down side is it stinks and makes the birds feathers very dry so if your dipping them with duramitex do it 2or3 weeks before racing starts and dont let them bath for a week after dipping then plenty baths till the feathers get back to normal some oil on the feed helps to

I have only dipped pigeons once in all the years I've kept them. Mid way through the old bird season in 1979, several members in my club had problems with depluming mite. Unfortunately, I had 4 birds with the problem too. Thinking that this would spread to every bird within my loft, I contacted a pigeon health help line, who advice to dip every pigeon with a product called "Pigeon Dip ". Old grandfather and I duly carried out the instructions. About a week later the birds were out in the rain and they were completely soaked through, as the dip had taken all the oil out the feathers, and they struggled to fly when wet. It took about a month for the feathering to come back to a decent quality to repel the rain.

The product used for dipping the birds certainly sorted out the problem, as no other birds suffered from depluming mite. I would agree with you Walter that you need to give the birds several weeks to enable the feathering to come back to a good standard.

Nae sure if yer tryin to imply that I don't know what Quill mite is Mr Boswell but I can asure ye that I do !! and going by my personnel experience garlic/vinger in luke warm bath water worked for me so ill be stickin ti that !!

Nae sure if yer tryin to imply that I don't know what Quill mite is Mr Boswell but I can asure ye that I do !! and going by my personnel experience garlic/vinger in luke warm bath water worked for me so ill be stickin ti that !!

I noticed birds I had brought in this year had quill lice, As I give quite a lot of Garlic in the drinker and vinegar in the bath their is no more lice on them. I Have in the past dipped them in Chlorocarb,Duramitex and some other I forget which, and found that, yes it cleared the feathers, but also removed the oils from them and the only way you can tell if they have recovered what you have taken out is when the tail feathers have ceased loking bedraggled after a bath. Has any one noticed that latebreds with nest feathers especially the tail take hours to dry out, so imagine what they are like when racing and get drenched in a heavy shower. Perhaps we should be aware of the chance of showers when racing / training them with the possibility they will be put down with no opportunity of rising again. JMO.

you stick with what works for you dooheed and im not implying you dont know what they are m8 i dont know you or your birds but have noticed in the past few years when judging shows 90 percent of birds have quill mite which makes me think many fanciers dont know what they are or are not treating them or what they are using is not working any kind of mite or lice on a pigeon cant be good for them as the birds cant be getting the proper rest if something is feeding on them or crawling over them jmo for the guy who asked

you stick with what works for you dooheed and im not implying you dont know what they are m8 i dont know you or your birds but have noticed in the past few years when judging shows 90 percent of birds have quill mite which makes me think many fanciers dont know what they are or are not treating them or what they are using is not working any kind of mite or lice on a pigeon cant be good for them as the birds cant be getting the proper rest if something is feeding on them or crawling over them jmo for the guy who asked

Nae Problemo Muchacho !