Creosote

Guest Steves

I have some proper creosote that I have been keeping for my fences but want to do the loft with it coz I'm sick of using the sh** from b&q that don't last one winter

Will the fumes upset the birds or should I basket them for a few days.

I have some proper creosote that I have been keeping for my fences but want to do the loft with it coz I'm sick of using the sh** from b&q that don't last one winter

No problem to the birds Steves, fill yer boots.emoticon-0157-sun.gifemoticon-0157-sun.gif

I used to soak beer mats in old style creosote and put them under the nest pans when they were rearing and racing,it never affected those sitting or the youngsters in the nest. You never had red mite or flies hanging about either.

I personally would not use any thinning agent on creosote due to it being coal tar based with the main ingredient being Creosol which thinning down will change the composition making it less affective as a repellant. Oil based products are a different kettle of fish which can be thinned down with their composition being similar. :emoticon-0126-nerd:

Can you still buy Creosote?

I wanted some a while back for my fence and the store said it had been withdrawn from sale (permanently) for health concerns for those using it.

They tried to palm me off with something similar called, Creoseal. Which no doubt was very similar but you can bet the ingredient that was missing/changed was the thing that made the original Creosote so bloody good!

I got mine from a firm called middletons I think, had to tell them I was a professional user, whatever that means.

I had to buy quite a lot but flogged most of it to the old boys on the local allotments.