Salmonella

sparko

Ok here we go ,i tested my birds with a mercasystems test kit and it was positive ,so i treat with 10% baytril for ten days 1.5ml in 1 and a half litres water no grit ect just clean food and medicated water and that was finished last sunday the loft was sterilized with virkon from top to bottom beginning of treatment and again on the last day its also cleaned out every day so ive re tested today 6 days after treatment and get another positive result which is has really kicked me in the you know where,i only have 8 birds and dont really want to lose them and start again,they are looking good but im worried about this whole salmonella thing ,what do you all think i should do now treat again or what ?im really cheesed off at the moment so take it easy on me thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok here we go ,i tested my birds with a mercasystems test kit and it was positive ,so i treat with 10% baytril for ten days 1.5ml in 1 and a half litres water no grit ect just clean food and medicated water and that was finished last sunday the loft was sterilized with virkon from top to bottom beginning of treatment and again on the last day its also cleaned out every day so ive re tested today 6 days after treatment and get another positive result which is has really kicked me in the you know where,i only have 8 birds and dont really want to lose them and start again,they are looking good but im worried about this whole salmonella thing ,what do you all think i should do now treat again or what ?im really cheesed off at the moment so take it easy on me thanks

I don't know how your test works, but is there any possibility you have it wrong?

I had to take a sample of 5 days droppings and sent them to Retford for them to test. :)

im not sure as these are my first birds and dont really want to lose them as they are from good stock birds,,they came here and was put under foster parents and i think thats where i got it from ,i know bad move by me but thats history now and its what can be done ,do i let it take its cause ? do i treat again hoping it will fix things and i know its not good to keep treating ? do i kill them all ,maybe they all havent got it ? i really dont know what to do and im feeling pretty low right now and feel like quiting before i start :( im not going to do that but its how i feel right now.i had a feeling the baytrill didnt work so good because its been down well into minus here and dont think they have been taking on much water ,well i know they havent looking at the drinker every day maybe it would be better to give them 0.1 ml straight down the beak so i know they are getting there dosage is that too much im not sure ?

Billy, whats the right thing to do and what he wants to do could be two different things. I'm asking what does he think is the right thing to do! One choice could set him back a year the other 5 years plus or more.

Am more of an experienced fancier than a top one Billy :D

I don't know how your test works, but is there any possibility you have it wrong?

I had to take a sample of 5 days droppings and sent them to Retford for them to test. :)

no theres no way i have it wrong very easy to use from mercasystem ,collect droppings from birds i tested 3 birds droppings and mixed them together no white dropping just the dark put put some on stick provided them into liquid provided shake well snap top and drip 3 to 5 drops in a hole on test strip and wait ten mins for result gave me 2 pink lines which indicates positive.are the test kit i used any good ,i dont know but it say the vets use them so i donbt know

Billy, whats the right thing to do and what he wants to do could be two different things. I'm asking what does he think is the right thing to do! One choice could set him back a year the other 5 years plus or more.

Am more of an experienced fancier than a top one Billy :D

Come on Tony . ADVICE FOR NICK PLEASE :emoticon-0136-giggle: .

Ps. Ya modest cvnt :P:lol:

You never said why you tested your birds ? What symptoms were they showing that you felt they had salmonella infection? Or did you just have them tested to see if they were carrying any infection and the result came back positive for salmonella.

HI hope this helps a friend had similar prob a few years ago. He gave baytrill and still tested pos 6 days later so an old well

trusted local fancier gave him this advice and it seemed to do the trick. put 1 table spoon honey to 1 liter of water with 1 table spoon of cider vinegar to the same water for 6 days then birds will have started some of there health back after which get belgica de weerdes parastop from mercasystems and treat them for 14 days this did the trick

You never said why you tested your birds ? What symptoms were they showing that you felt they had salmonella infection? Or did you just have them tested to see if they were carrying any infection and the result came back positive for salmonella.

couple was puffed up and one of them was skinny but not anerexic with watery droppings so i just got the test kit to see if it was that and it was

PMSL. I did send Nick a pm Tony but he went with advice from somebody else . And I don't have a problem with that. And if you tried to help the guy well done old pal :P:emoticon-0136-giggle:

i did appreciate what you wrote in the pm Billy but the only thing i had was baytril as it is a nightmare getting things in this country my friend brought some stuff for me and baytril was one of them so thats why i went down that road.i will try to get what you said when im in england for the blackpool show and get what you said sent by post to a family member in england so i can bring it back with me if ever needed again ,thanks again for the pm

sparko i gave the enroflox for 14 days in one section and 21 day in another before i seen any real improvement at one ml to one liter any that did not respond in that time i put down found some take longer than others to get over it and was 4 weeks before all were 100 per cent clear but i also had paramixo at same time so vacinated them all again in the first week hope this is of help to you m8