Blue Tongue

sparko

Hi all

Im new to racing pigeons and 8 young birds that i got from a lincs loft champ ,now the problem is they have been doing really good eating and cleaning good.I cant let these birds out as i cannot lose them as they are my stock birds to breed from next season so i can get a group together so i can start competing in races :) so the problem i have just found was one of my birds has got a blue tip on the tongue and another two are starting to get it now.Just wondering if its something to worry about ,i live in iceland and its cold at the moment so was wondering if they could be cold ,there isnt any draught on the birds in the loft or could it be respiratory problem or something else ? they are all eating good and drinking too with fresh grit and pickstone daily any one else had the same problem ?they also have access to good size aviary

Thanks for that ,i have had them on breeder mix since they was born and they are nearly 8 weeks now and starting to body moult so ive changed to a moulting mix and give them versele laga tea and muta.will have a good look at the ventilation in there tomorrow but it smells very fresh every day i go in to clean so i might treat them with versele laga ornicure CONTAINS DOXYCYCLINE - HYCLATE what you think ?

I wouldn't bother treating for respo this time of year personally, I'd keep them in the avairy every day till just before dark and I'd keep the diet light plenty of barley. I'd also use ur tea with garlic.

thanks i will bare that in mind :)

I think cattle get blue tongue ,dont invent a prob that doesnt exsist,the cold will keep any disease at bay just now ,good feed, clean water, and grit now and then .

he just seems to be fluffed up and not like the others even though hes eating and drinking good with decent droppings and ive noticed his nest mate is the same, all the others are fine so its a bit of a mystery ,with me being new to racing ive got salmonella,worms and all sorts running through my head right now :( dont want anything to happen to these 8 as its all i have to get me on my way next season breeding with them.

Some pigeons do show a blue tip to their tongue. I spoke with an imminent vet on the subject years ago and he assured me that it was only pigment. Provided there are no obvious health problems just accept that the pigeon has a colouration on it's tongue which is probably meaningless.

Some pigeons do show a blue tip to their tongue. I spoke with an imminent vet on the subject years ago and he assured me that it was only pigment. Provided there are no obvious health problems just accept that the pigeon has a colouration on it's tongue which is probably meaningless.

The two birds are slightly thinner than the others and have fluffed up appearance and they didnt have the blue tongue a month or so ago so i would say it is some sort of problem but what i have no idea ? im not going to worry too much unless they start to lose alot of weight or dont eat and the like .

can i mix breeder mix and depurative mix 50/50 as a light mix ?

Hi matę there is no prób mixing 50/50 ,u say your birds Are moulting at the moment

I would stick to your moulting mix as there is a good preportion of barley in the mix .

No nothing about blue tounge but it dont sound to much to worry about.

You i think mentioned racing is there a few fanciers in Iceland ?its some where you dont associate pigeons with ,and where do you race from ,and just keep your eye on the pair of birds ,where did you get them from ask the guy that supplied you with them what he thinks ,good luck any way .

You i think mentioned racing is there a few fanciers in Iceland ?its some where you dont associate pigeons with ,and where do you race from ,and just keep your eye on the pair of birds ,where did you get them from ask the guy that supplied you with them what he thinks ,good luck any way .

yea im english and have lived in iceland for 15 years now,see some lofts up last year and enquired as to getting into racing them and joined the club,i think we are about 23 members and they sent up to 450 birds one week in the old birds racing up to 400km so it should be good when i finally get round to racing,i got my birds from Rod Sparkes(my cousin) who won the Federation East Section Champion Loft trophy for the 5th time this year but hes not sure either ,they could of got something off there foster parents because they was hatched in iceland and they dont seem to treat for anything here and thats why i have lots of things going round in my head about what it could be.still eating today although one of them did feel thinner than yesterday so i will check again tomorrow.

The blue tongue can mean many different things from something simple such as wrong diet to more serious like bad circulation.

Should you feed high protein right through the week, the digestive system becomes sluggish and the breast may become blue in color with a blue tip on the tongue also. Try changing your pigeons diet and giving your birds a strong dose of garlic in the water to help correct this.

However, When tissues that are normally red turn blue, this is because there is less oxygen in these tissues. This can have several reasons. For example when the tip of the tongue of a pigeon is cold, there will be less blood circulation and the tip will appear blue. It doesn’t have to mean anything. If it’s associated with blue flesh it can be a problem certainly for birds that have to perform.

Again blue tongue can be caused by multiple factors like inadequate nutrition/supplementing, inadequate training, dehydration (shock in extreme cases), bad circulation etc…Try changing their diet, giving garlic and keeping a close eye on them to see if their health declines and if you have room in your loft quarantine them as a precaution untill you are certain that they are healthy.

Well now one of the two birds with blue tongues has got a dirty pinkish wattle while the others are nice and white so could i presume this to be respiratory ?

Sounds like it sparko especially if the wattle is off colour, plenty of good respiratory products on the market that can be got from any of the pigeon suppliers. :animatedpigeons:

Sounds like it sparko especially if the wattle is off colour, plenty of good respiratory products on the market that can be got from any of the pigeon suppliers. :animatedpigeons:

Thanks Paddymac,my mate is going to england today for a week and is going to bring me some doxcy back and a few others things in case needed as its terrible getting stuff like that in the country without vet cert and all sort of paper work etc so i will stock up on things i may need like wormers, coccy,canker,and baytril but on a brigther note im going to blackpool for the first time in jan so i think my suitcase may be full of all sorts including a microscope :) thanks again