Change in the Law (what Chance)

Guest Gareth Rankin

Think it would be fair to say that its not the Law that needs changing - it already allows the removal under license of troublesome birds of prey - its the past? attitude of Government, SNH and RSPB towards the issue of that license.

There was another more sympathetic Article recently that recognised the Law was being applied far too one-sided,  prosecute - yes! Address problem of specific predation - no! And that led directly to people breaking the law - and being prosecuted..

rspb,,,,,,,,"persecution of these birds is a crime the scottish public will no longer tollerate"  i dont know where the rspb get there info from ,,,,,,as certainly i know most people in my area , are downright fed up with these predetors, theve wittnessed in the last few weeks .doves been killed , young song  birds being killed, pigeons killed ,

this morning an old lady came to my house to see if i could save a young blackbird being eaten alive[in front of its mother] by a hawk ,,off course this was too late , i know for a fact that she,, and her neighbours ,would not agree with this rspb statement :( :( :( and neither would i  :(

Guest shadow

if the situation was as bad as they make out there would be very few predators flying about the numbers are increasing every year but the RSPB never tell the truth :(

report by rspb,,,,,,,"the numbers of persecution incidents reported over the last ten years remains unacceptly high"

then in the same report ,,micheal rumbles says "allthough its encouraging to see MORE birds of prey in scotland"

then we have micheal russel and p,a,w, stating," the persecution of these birds , is a crime the scottish public will no longer tollerate"

the rspb are behind this report ,, and out of this report they give us no proof of factual remarks , made by the scottish public  :( [and they will know it :(

Got ot agree with Gareth,look who we are dealing with,an organization whose vast income come directly/indirectly from the public,to care for all types of birds,and yet they openely and blatantly use these monies,to champion the cause of already overcrowded Birds of Prey exclusively,to the detriment of all other species,constantly alluding to the harassment and persecution these rare icons of the bird world has to contend with,ie Birds of Prey,yet their literature contains only friendly finches/robins etc,why not show a Perigrine ripping a racing pigeon asunder,available on Roller Discussion Board U.K Sect,under West Coast,this is an everyday occurence as regards B.O.P.and not an image thats made available to Joe Public,because to normal people its disgusting and revolting,and Joe Public should be made to realize this is where their moniies are spent,creating more of these images,no these people are masters of propaganda,with tunnel vision as regards Birds of Prey,and the laws will never be changed. Each of us have a responsibility to look after our own lofts and occupants.

Think it would be fair to say that its not the Law that needs changing - it already allows the removal under license of troublesome birds of prey - its the past? attitude of Government, SNH and RSPB towards the issue of that license.

There was another more sympathetic Article recently that recognised the Law was being applied far too one-sided,  prosecute - yes! Address problem of specific predation - no! And that led directly to people breaking the law - and being prosecuted..

How many licenses have been granted ???????????????????????

How many licenses have been granted ???????????????????????

As far as I know, only 1 license has ever been issued in Scotland, and that was to the 'Fishing Fraternity', to take cormorants creating havoc with game fish stocks on a river?

RSBP were up in arms over that one too.

maybe a eagle owl breeding centre

anybody willing to look after these birds and do this job payment will be made

we could have the biggest yb sale ever in the uk all profits to go to the breeding centre

i am not joking this is what needs to be done

there must be plenty game keepers with plenty space in some big barns

some rich estate owners willing to help as the harris hawk is quite tasty to the eagle owl as well

Fine photo Jimmy did you take it yourself. ;) ;) ;)

no i didnt take that one, :) :)[ i think it was david baillie , hell be questioned now by the rspb ;D] but i took the others , 3 pigeons in 3 weeks ,

as bart said , something can be done about eagle owls [problem is its against the law to release them :-/ ;):)] there are some arguements as to whether the eagle owl is native to britain,,,off course the rspb say no,, but the ornithologists say yes ,,,,,,who wins ... the rspb ,,why ,,money ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but if some did escape accidently?,,,,breed in the wild,? these young birds MUST? COME UNDER THE SAME LAW AS THE LAW AS THE OTHER PREDITORS  :-/  but ,as this has happened , 15 yb,s born in uk dissapeared ???

my mother 85 years old , been through the mill with ops etc ,,,,,,,,,,BLIND, but this never stops her from battling on , going to the town, shops, lunch clubs, church, etc, had her purse stolen from her shopping bag , ,  the person escaped ,,,,,,,,,,,,but would he, if caught, get as much as a fine , as , the same person killing some perigrines ,,,,,,the short answer is NO, ,,,,,

IF THE SAME MONEY WAS SPENT ON GAURDING OUR ELDERLY ????THAN SPENT ON GIVING THESE HAWKS 24 HOUR POLICE PROTECTION , I ABSOLUTELY CRAZY :o :o :o :o  

Maybe worth reminding folks that there is something being done in Scotland this autumn. A trial project has been agreed which will see troublesome sparrowhawks being trapped legally and relocated legally 30km from the target loft.

Was to have been done in the spring, but questions were raised in Parliament about the ethics of doing this during the sparrowhawk breeding season. I know what you are thinking, puir wee sparrowhawk chicks dying in the nest, but that would have given RSPB great ammo, wonderful photos of dead chicks to give to TV & newspapers, who'd be only too happy to publish, and Joe Public would have been up in arms against us.

And as you all know, TV & newspapers won't publish photos of our dead birds, but in my opinion its better to have Joe Public ignorant of our case (for now) rather than have them up in arms against us, before they are even told about our case.  

I recently spoke to a guy who has a female Eagle Owl which lays 2 clutches of eggs each year.

I had almost talked him into letting me give it a new home then let it slip I had pigeons.

He ignored my mails from then on.

On the basis of his laying female I think they would be reasonably easy to breed.

Maybe worth reminding folks that there is something being done in Scotland this autumn. A trial project has been agreed which will see troublesome sparrowhawks being trapped legally and relocated legally 30km from the target loft, dream on IB ,they can come up with some crap and this is one as soon as it is set free it will seek out another loft so were is the logic in trapping a TROUBLESOME sparrowhawk yiwould need to trap thm all then if thats the case  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

• 2 weeks later...

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED,3 pair of European Eagle Owls have been released,cannot say when but they are in the Stirling area and AS hoped they HAVE settleD and bred,if the RSPB should be looking and find these nesting birds of pray beware they are being watched and any move by them(RSPB OR SNH) to "remove them for the safety of joe public" could result in a prosecution being handed out to the perpetrators,using the present law.FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE.

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED,3 pair of European Eagle Owls have been released,cannot say when but they are in the Stirling area and AS hoped they HAVE settleD and bred,if the RSPB should be looking and find these nesting birds of pray beware they are being watched and any move by them(RSPB OR SNH) to "remove them for the safety of joe public" could result in a prosecution being handed out to the perpetrators,using the present law.FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE.

That sounds like good news. I hope they prosper and spread.

thats good not before time someone stood up and done something instead of spewing out a load of p---- good on you lads up there  ;)maybe we can do lot more now as has been said fight fire with fire well in other words let nature fight with nature  ;D ;D ;D ;D