Loft Security

Guest Basin View

Guest Basin View

I am putting this post up on the site hoping everyone reviews their loft security, not looking for comments on thieves, etc.

Yesterday I left my lofts which are at a house I own but not where I live at 13.00 hrs everything fine but when I returned at !7.30 hrs I found 2 birds on my old bird loft roof, 1 old bird and 1 young bird, I knew both these birds were inside when I left.

After checking everything over I found that most likely more than 1 person had been in my old bird loft, young bird loft and store shed and they had stolen young birds, nest bowls, food, courier type 5 bird carriers and an aviary type cage I put over my 5 bird Petron traps to allow new birds to get out up on the roof, see around then come back in through the traps.

As I had done for the last 5 years, I opened up the lofts and shed in the morning, the mesh doors behind my main lofts doors are only on a bathroom door type snib, the store shed door is on a padlock bolt after unlocking the padlock I just hang it on the lock hole.

The 2 birds I found on the old bird loft roof had probably flown out past the thieves.

The theft has been reported to the police, they are advising me to get CCTV cameras to cover the garden.

I have asked the police if they can run the theft in their column in the weekly local paper as I think this is the work of a couple of young lads.

I will now have to alter my loft secondary mesh doors to be fully lockable, etc, etc.

As I said before not looking for posts on the condemnation of the thieves but looking for everyone to review their loft security so as to avoid the same situation happening again to others.

sorry to hear this m8 hope you get back whats been taken and agree 100 percent i have cctv every where in my garden pennies to run and cheap to buy now mines has an alarm on it which goes off in the house so you can catch the bassas in the act to revenge is sweet and worth going to jail for imo

ps sucurity lights also a must or big bad dog or both so the dog can see what he is eating

Edited by walterboswell59

Sorry to hear about this, think that sometimes we become lax about loft security. This is a stark reminder that there a lot of unsavoury and opportunist individuals going about, that's putting it politely. My loft is not at my back door but the best alarm or vermin deterrent ( 4 or 2 legged) are my 2 trusty Jack Russels. It is a sad reflection on our society that we have to start looking at CCTV or alarms for our lofts. The real"doo" men of yesteryear must be turning in their graves at the thought of such goings on. I hope the culprits are found. more importantly you get your property back, lastly you know my number and if you need a "hand" don't hesitate to call AW THE BESTwink.gif

Guest Basin View

Had the police arrive late last night , they told me they thought they had found my missing birds and items, they needed me to go and identify them.

They were my missing birds, they were at the home of a 12 year old and had been taken by him and his 14 year old mate.

They had also taken a chicken from another garden, I now have the chicken as well until the owner is found.

I always thought it was the work of young lads which to a certain degree is good to know.

I just have to finalise my loft and store security changes and hope to never have this kind of incident happen again.

Thanks to all who have expressed concern and given advice.

Guest Basin View

Police back tonight at 20.00hrs they had found out where the chicken the young lad had was stolen from, my house street No 10, chicken stolen from No. 42, half way down the street.

So the other people have their chicken back, I have my young birds back. Lessons to be learned are that our back gardens are not safe from those that want to climb up very high walls to see what we have in our gardens and what they think can take from our gardens.

They caught the young lads purely by coincidence after interviewing them about another crime.....guess what....something regarding pheasants.

They obviously like birds, but are going about it in the entirely wrong way.