New Birds Not Eating

Guest samroy

Guest samroy

I got my first 6 pigeons yesterday evening. Went out to feed them this morning and they were not even interested ledt them a good 15mins still not interested. So I removed the feed from them. Is this normal for birds in new strange surroundings. Also their droppings were green this morning is this also normal.

Also make sure they are drinking,the usual first signs are blinking eyes and sitting puffed up.If they are like that,dip their beak in the water,don't be afraid you won't drown them.

Keep asking questions mate,it's the only way to learn.

Someone will try to help.

Guest samroy

Normal for new birds not to eat on the first day or two, day three they will defo be eating. Regarding droppings are they green and solid or green and wet? But birds who haven't eaten droppings will go off

Green solid not watery. I think the person I bought them off didnt give morning feed. Only gave them evening feed. Will they find the water themselves or should I dip their beak in the drinker

Any other advice gladly received as complete novice

Green solid not watery. I think the person I bought them off didnt give morning feed. Only gave them evening feed. Will they find the water themselves or should I dip their beak in the drinker

Any other advice gladly received as complete novice

lift the lid of the drinker mate, they will soon find water.

Guest samroy

I would dip their heads just to let them know where the drinker is but wouldn't leave food lying in front of them either just keep putting it down and watching them then lifting it atb with them

Took the food away from them this morning they will soon learn lol. Will dip their beaks in the water when I get home. Will try them with food again this evening. Eventually want them eating 1tbs in morning and evening after they are exercised.

make sure your drinker is on the loft floor where the birds can get to it m8 as some cant fly for a few days when there young and as someone said leave the top off the drinker for a few days bit messay but its very important they get water or they will go back very quick good luck with them

Personally, I would have done it differently.

I trust I'm right in saying these are youngsters which you've obtained.

You have to realise and understand these have suddenly been moved from their birth - place, their parents whom they had total dependence on and their home. Everything is now new to them. They are scared and hungry. Food , at this time, should not be rationed.....but should be constantly in front of them....... always available. Rationing food can come later. As someone has already said, keep monitoring their eyes which will tell you they need water, but there's no problem in 'dipping' their beaks in the drinker. They will probably only need that bit of help once, possibly twice, and they'll soon have the hang of it. Best of luck.

Took the food away from them this morning they will soon learn lol. Will dip their beaks in the water when I get home. Will try them with food again this evening. Eventually want them eating 1tbs in morning and evening after they are exercised.

Don't agree with your 1tbs that's ok for old widowhood cocks .give your YB as much as they

Want to eat , when 1/3 of them go to the drinker that's the time to remove the feeder they are

Only babies .have you jagged for para ? I personally would treat for worms ,then a multivitamin

In the water for 2 days.keep us informed,good luck.