The State Of The Local Nhs

REDCHEQHEN

As stated on another thread - my mum is 89 years young today - she has had some life threatening health problems - emergency surgery for a burst aneurism a few years ago left her with kidney failure and she has dialysis 3 times a week and also has dementia - but she seems content and still knows everybody.......

2 weeks ago she had bloods done and at 11.05pm (having been in bed for 3 hours) the out of hours doctor rang her - she then rang me, we didn't at the time know it was the out of hours doctor - I did a 1471 and rang the number back - and they then rang me at midnight...!! There was a basic conversation and then it turned to a rather inappropriate one - I will expand later - anyway her potassium level was low - but was not life threatening (so why the urgency in the phone call??)

3 days later we were seeing her nephrologist (kidney consultant) but saw the registrar (yet again)

Some mum was telling the registrar she still wanted to live to be 100 and get her birthday card from the Queen - though she felt sure that by then it would be a king (and she was hoping it would be WIlliam!!)

Having had this conversation the registrar looked at my mother and proceeded to tell my mother that they could stop her kidney dialysis with permission from relatives of course - she said (but evidently not my mother's) and she would live approximately 3 months (that,s a short fall of 11 years from the conversation a few minutes earler - do these people not listen)

Legalised murder on the NHS? It was a similar conversation on the phone with the out of hours doctor who didn't know us from Adam

Is this just my local health authority ( a few days later in the local paper - they have to cut spending by £30 million)or is there a vendetta against old people costing the NHS money - but the NHS wants to cut costs by doing away with the elderly population by with holding treatment

How come these people with MS and Motor neurone disease couldn't have assisted suicide and had to go to court?

Just thought I would bring this to your attention.

PS - I was in hospital a few weeks ago and the old dear in the bed opposite me had a leaking aneurism (same as my mum had) - she was 90 years old and her son was by her bed - they were not going to operate (sond permission given) - anyway - as one would expect she had a heart attack - but they resuscitated her - WTF, then transferred her to a side ward to die - the mind boggles

Guest Cawdy

IMO the nhs is only interested in making money....and punting the big pharma companys crap.....policy and price should never dictate traetment

IMO the nhs is only interested in making money....and punting the big pharma companys crap.....policy and price should never dictate traetment

Making money lol they run at a loss every year

I think the way elders who have worked hard all there life are treated is an absolute disgrace

RedCHEqHen,You have no idea how close your experience is to whats just happened to our family ,father inlaw had to have kidney removed (cancerous)resulting in failure of other kidney so gets dialysis 3 days per week ,has to travel 35 mls for this but anyway,while in hosp they discovered he had bone cancer but it was very slow progression and due to his other illness they didnt think he was up to the required type of treatment,he has been in hosp about 4 month ,well any way the wife gets a phone call from hosp and it went like this You know your father is very ill and maybey he would like to stop dialysis as the traveling is very hard on him ,if he stops he will have 3 weeks to live with dialysis maybey 4-5 weeks you might like to discuss this with him.Next day wife frantic spoke to his own doc he said thats not right no one can say how long he will live with treatment,so the doc phoned hosp we think because next day 8.15am a consultant from the hospital phoned and apologised profusely for the family upset .We are aware the outlook is bleak he is 86yrs old but what we dont want for him is to be cast off because someone thinks its waisting money