How Bright Does The Loft Need To Be?

Stu3y

Just wondering how bright does the loft have to be? I'm having a few large windows on the front but there's a corridor between the windows and housing area (housing area will have dowel doors) will it be sifficient or should I be looking at some kind of roof window as well?

Just wondering how bright does the loft have to be? I'm having a few large windows on the front but there's a corridor between the windows and housing area (housing area will have dowel doors) will it be sifficient or should I be looking at some kind of roof window as well?

If the sunlight can penetrate I think it's a big plus ,sunlight is the best disinfectant you can get.

You haven't said what you have decided to fly(widowhood ECT) .?

Plenty fresh air good ventilation ,as for light not to much i would say remember the doos use the loft to rest and perch up,sit their eggs they need to feel in safe enviroment.If you see a doo on the nest a lot of time they spend facing back of box.With widowhood a lot of guys shut the cocks up in their box for the sake of them resting ,and dull lighting.

Sounds abit like my racing loft Pal when I first got it ! I made and Put in couple of Perspex windows on the roof of each section which lets in more light/sun (keeps loft nice n'dry) and also made them as to be abit of a ventilation aid also ! it made the world of difference in the atmosphere of the loft !! ye won't go wrong with plenty of light/sun in your loft Pal !! :emoticon-0157-sun: :emoticon-0157-sun: :emoticon-0157-sun:

Plenty fresh air good ventilation ,as for light not to much i would say remember the doos use the loft to rest and perch up,sit their eggs they need to feel in safe enviroment.If you see a doo on the nest a lot of time they spend facing back of box.With widowhood a lot of guys shut the cocks up in their box for the sake of them resting ,and dull lighting.

I have a sheet of polycarbonate Perspex on each of my 4 sections in my lofts roof my loft is also only 6 foot away from a lampost you could go in to my loft just now and pick up a doo and read its ring number .i would say as long as you have your ventilation right you are half way there JMO

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nephilim

I'm just building a new loft. And have decided on nice big windows in polycarbonate on the front and will be having the front third of the roof done in tinted polycarbonate. the roof is forward sloping pent and I'm hoping it wont spook the birds when they land. It also means that the sun will be coming in from sunrise to around 5/6 pm. and the angle should mean that it doesn't light up the nest boxes.

• 1 month later...
Guest nephilim

Hey King Tam. Loft coming on slowly!!! Weather and my health being the main culprits. I was getting a bit board on the other two forums! Sorry slow to reply, had to sort out a better form of internet using. Have problems getting to use the house PC and using my phone was proving to cause stress levels to rise. So spent some of loft money on a reasonable laptop. Loft will be up by next weekend and then just waiting for nest-boxes to be delivered. I have had to re-design the loft. So instead of building a full 24ft from scratch, to save time and money, I'm just changing the roofs on the existing two and pushing them all together to give me a 28ft loft!! I let she who must be obeyed come up with that, while I scratched my head, trying to look confused. It's good to get the other half involved now and again! From my original design I've made some slight changes and after finding out how much some secret sliders would cost, have decided the hinge windows can look just as good. With making the decision not to breed this year! I haven't had any young holding me back. I might breed a round, but by time it comes to showing they will be in bits with moulting. Anyway nice to see you on here Thomas.

Loft does not have to be bright mate,sounds like you got to much as it is,try to think as a pigeon,you may like it bright and airy,but not the birds ,no way,nice little dark corners where they can hide away whats you looking for,they need to feel safe in the loft,not seeing whats or whos walking around outside trying to get in :emoticon-0138-thinking: