Mites

george49

while speaking to a fancier today he was telling me about a problem he has had it seems to be a burrowing mite at the bottom of the feather and then making itself at home under the skin he has tried everything even sending samples to various avian vets but nothing seems to be working anybody got any ideas what this could be as it is not one of the usual mite family that attack the feather

while speaking to a fancier today he was telling me about a problem he has had it seems to be a burrowing mite at the bottom of the feather and then making itself at home under the skin he has tried everything even sending samples to various avian vets but nothing seems to be working anybody got any ideas what this could be as it is not one of the usual mite family that attack the feather

Lagger pigeon powder all over the pigeon, place it in a small pigeon carrying box for 24hrs, then you'll see the difference. ;)

Let me no how you get on. :D

are the birds losing the feathers on their chest area

if so it could be they are rubbing against drinker/feeders

this has been found to be the cause in the past when mites were thought to have been to blame

are the birds losing the feathers on their chest area

if so it could be they are rubbing against drinker/feeders

this has been found to be the cause in the past when mites were thought to have been to blame

DAVE READ

THE POST AGAIN HE SAID IT WAS BURROWING INTO THE FEATHERS

AND INTO THE SKIN

Saw thead on here last year about the same subject.

I had two hens, one with small patch on front of chest the other had a completely bald neck. Solution was dabbing with a cotton bud dipped in surgical spirit. The mites live under the skin or in the quill holes.

Within two days the one with the small patch was sorted but after about a week there was no noticeable difference with the bald neck. However after about a month (this bird had been getting worse for about 18 months) the bird was completely sorted.

Surgical spirit is the quick and cheap answer.

DAVE READ

THE POST AGAIN HE SAID IT WAS BURROWING INTO THE FEATHERS

AND INTO THE SKIN

just a possible cause kev

it is possible that hes guessing /surmiseing as to the symptoms/ cause

also info to other fanciers who may experience similar symptoms in the future

after all were all here trying to help

Guest chad3646

Lagger pigeon powder all over the pigeon, place it in a small pigeon carrying box for 24hrs, then you'll see the difference. ;)

Let me no how you get on. :D

would that be tennants lager or harp lagger lol

hi mate i would use ivermectin it worked for me :animatedpigeons: :animatedpigeons:

1ins Paint Brush and bottle Surgical Spirits. Paint on liberally over entire affected area till absolutely soaked and repeat after 3 days. This method kills anything under the skin and in the Quill and I post from experience as I cured 18 birds last year which hardly had a whole feather on the back, chest, crop and under their wings. They now look magnificent.

Guest chad3646

please be very careful with these they can pass to humans

contact a vet as i said these can pass to humans and you dont need to handle them for them to passed on

jam how would you know that if we dont know what it is yet

Guest chad3646

i had that same problem years ago and i asked this old fancier for a remedy, he said chad put some sugar on them,i said will that cure it he said no, but it will rot there teeth lol