Dull / Ruffled Birds

We have some new birds that have been with us about three weeks now. Out of the 25 birds, 3 or 4 look (on occasion) ruffled and slightly dull.

They are eating with the others, their droppings are not watery. They roost on the floor rather than the V perches, but otherwise do not seem to be worried.

The floor is clean, their water is fresh and clean and the feeders are spotless.

In the three weeks of having them, there is no real change, that is the ones that are dull now were dull on arrival and this was assumed to be transport to a new environment.

Do you recommend group treatment with an antibiotic or wormer or just make sure they are kept warm and comfortable.

Any advice to someone who would be happy and knowledgeable with livestock but unsure about what to do with birds.

The birds should be at their best this time of the year,you're right to be concerned and it's good to see you've noticed it.Rather than giving a flock treatment you could send the suspect birds droppings for testing.In this weeks BHW page106 D.Parsons is knocking 50% off cocci & worm screen,worth a try.atb.

Thank you for the replies so far.

Dal - they have not been allowed out yet, but have plenty of apace (I think) the loft is 18ft x 8ft. The older birds (all seem fine have a half with nest boxes. The younger birds (2013 crop) have half with 18 V perches for 12 birds.

Geordie - I would happily run a screen on droppings, can you be a bit more specific on 'belgica weerd' - what is that.

I presume I get either a swab or a sample in a sterile tube for the tests.

If you point me to the right place I will definitely get the tests done.

Old Yellow - I am buying some baths tomorrow, they will be about 22" across and can be filled as needed. So if 6 litres, how much cider vinegar would you add?

Many thanks

Thank you for the replies so far.

Dal - they have not been allowed out yet, but have plenty of apace (I think) the loft is 18ft x 8ft. The older birds (all seem fine have a half with nest boxes. The younger birds (2013 crop) have half with 18 V perches for 12 birds.

Geordie - I would happily run a screen on droppings, can you be a bit more specific on 'belgica weerd' - what is that.

I presume I get either a swab or a sample in a sterile tube for the tests.

If you point me to the right place I will definitely get the tests done.

Old Yellow - I am buying some baths tomorrow, they will be about 22" across and can be filled as needed. So if 6 litres, how much cider vinegar would you add?

Many thanks

I gave you experienced advice and you ignored it ??? No room for invalids in an athletic squad expletive remove

I gave you experienced advice and you ignored it ??? No room for invalids in an athletic squad expletive remove

In my opinion Derek is right. I for one always take on delboys advice. My opinion is if they do not look good this time of year they'll never look good unfortunately.

Delboy - I am sorry, I obviously missed the terminology - you are saying euthanase already rather than investigate? Often a good way. These are fancy birds rather than racers so there is less urgency, but I will take on board your advice (if that is what you meant). I guess I am too much of a novice to even understand 'wheelie'!

Delboy - I am sorry, I obviously missed the terminology - you are saying euthanase already rather than investigate? Often a good way. These are fancy birds rather than racers so there is less urgency, but I will take on board your advice (if that is what you meant). I guess I am too much of a novice to even understand 'wheelie'!

No problem m8, in my opinion it doesn't really matter what type of pigeon you have to implement my theory, cheers m8. :emoticon-0167-beer:

never ever have baths in the loft,if you think your birds look rough now wait till the damp takes hold .your cocci and worm count will explode,then canker will rocket mate---as for deweert and the other vets,all they want is to put their hand in your pocket,why do people on this forum expect inexperienced fanciers to throw money at problems such as these,if you cannot give sensible,cost effective advice perhaps you boys should refrane from posting :emoticon-0138-thinking:

never ever have baths in the loft,if you think your birds look rough now wait till the damp takes hold .your cocci and worm count will explode,then canker will rocket mate---as for deweert and the other vets,all they want is to put their hand in your pocket,why do people on this forum expect inexperienced fanciers to throw money at problems such as these,if you cannot give sensible,cost effective advice perhaps you boys should refrane from posting :emoticon-0138-thinking:

So you are saying don't do the sensible thing and get them tested?

To be fair I would do what delboy says and have done

So you are saying don't do the sensible thing and get them tested?

To be fair I would do what delboy says and have done

do not try to put words in my mouth sunshine,i could do a stool sample test,then a swab test,and give the chap an honest view of whats wrong with the bird/or birds...deweert and other pocket emptyers will certainly be economical with the truth and find plenty of reasons to put their hands in this fanciers pocket

do not try to put words in my mouth sunshine,i could do a stool sample test,then a swab test,and give the chap an honest view of whats wrong with the bird/or birds...deweert and other pocket emptyers will certainly be economical with the truth and find plenty of reasons to put their hands in this fanciers pocket

Hey Tommy, yer points are quite correct but don't think George is trying to put words in your mouth, opinions are like ar se holes, every cants got one and we respect yours so dont disrespect others.

Guest strapper

if these birds are ruffled and not perching then i personally would get a droppings test to know what is the problem, i know where to get my medications much cheaper than a vet would cost and they are legit!

after the diagnosis then i would treat accordingly and not over do it ,giving more then is the dose in meds doesnt improve the amount of days before the birds are better.

so always keep to the dose prescribed.

anytime of year a bird can become ill , just like humans...i would be worried that these birds are

sitting nestled on the floor,.....are these birds late breds? or oldbirds.

with me if i find a bird thats ill and it doesnt respond to treatment then i will deal with it accordingly..no good repeating treatments at the cost they are today....for that bird to let you down later on. best get rid

Again, thank you all.

I will try all parts and it may end up with Derek being right!

I have got some cattle Baytril (20%) and so could dilute down in some water for them, but Peter may be right and I might just set them up for other diseases.

Its all very new to us and I don't want to disappoint my son (whose birds they are really. As far as I can tell these birds were only born in September and October so are very young. then of course we bought them about 3 weeks ago and they were stressed by a big move to a new place. No other pigeons around for them to get disease from, but stress does all sorts!

YOU WOULD NOT DO ANY HARM IN given all your birds a worming out, this time of the year

lock the sickly birds in a pen of there own give them garlic in there water and mix a tea spoon of cinnamon in there feed at a rate of 4 oz feed 1 tea spoon cinnamon for 4 days don't give them any more than 1 ounce each, 5 day fresh water 6th day fresh water 7 day

tea spoon cider vinegar to 3 pints water diluted to then to suit the water pot used.

if they are not looking lively after that don't waste your time. as they birds will never be right. hope this will help you if you choose to go down this road i would think you have a high cocci count but that is only my opinion. and most likely your birds will be the color blue purple.

Edited by bigda