The Novice Ask,s " Wiley "

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, all my hens are treated exactly the same as my widowhood cocks, as both partners go to the races, only difference is the hens are expected to race the whole programme from 72miles to 510 miles. And another difference would be is that the hens are locked in their perches after flying and having their feed. Wish i could say there was any other difference but as George Baird will know there is not.

I have always wondered as my hens are fed in the trough but cocks in boxs individual. I tried roundabout and although won it was much more hassle. Have looked at hen box's but our old loft can't take a lot of Change lol.

Cocks always beat hens in my loft.....sometimes a hen but only at the distance? Opinions?

Dal, some would call my system roundabout, but personally i call it Total Widowhood, as my hens are kept probably 13ft away from my cocks, while id only consider it to be known as roundabout if they are racing to the next compartment. My hens will beat my cocks on the sprints regular, to be honest it is always a guess on what will come first as they both are competive as each other and both sexes could win on the day. All my pigeons are fed in the troughs as i like the pigeons to be competitive for food also and not to pick their favourite grains. My hen perches are not like boxes, but more like yb slope back perches but these slope forward, with a dowel door on which i go in and close when all the hens are perched after their feed.

Dal, some would call my system roundabout, but personally i call it Total Widowhood, as my hens are kept probably 13ft away from my cocks, while id only consider it to be known as roundabout if they are racing to the next compartment. My hens will beat my cocks on the sprints regular, to be honest it is always a guess on what will come first as they both are competive as each other and both sexes could win on the day. All my pigeons are fed in the troughs as i like the pigeons to be competitive for food also and not to pick their favourite grains. My hen perches are not like boxes, but more like yb slope back perches but these slope forward, with a dowel door on which i go in and close when all the hens are perched after their feed.

More of a true widow end for your hens but not a traditional way to race /feed your cocks I would guess? Many roads lead to Rome and get it right it's dynamite?

The hens are paired in the widowhood cock section prior to the season...but each and everyday they are trapped to their own loft and on a race day they have a choice of either their own loft or the widowhood cocks loft to trap to but generally they choose their own loft. i always have 3-4 dropper hens dal, and usually one or two cocks at home when racing, ive found over the years it doesnt matter what is shown to the first arrivals aslong as something is shown, untill their partner arrives. When i say fed in troughs, i just want to clarify my birds are not hopper fed(food infront of them at all times) but are fed strictly to what i feel they need

Defo imo it's not roundabout

Roundabout for me is both hens and cocks fed in the cock section or box section

Hens out cocks pushed into hens hens in cocks out then hens pushed back into there section and then finally cocks trapping back to their own section???

Tbh it disny really matter because we all have our own ways that suit us...nae need to put a label on it

Trapping the hens back on the cocks end is roundabout but the rest? ??. I think that's why I concentrate with cocks, celibate or not cos it easy

My hens dont trap back to the cocks shed as its 13ft away, the only time they can go in cocks shed is on race day, but generally they choose their own loft where they trap all week, but whatever people want to call it, it works and thats all that matters

My hens dont trap back to the cocks shed as its 13ft away, the only time they can go in cocks shed is on race day, but generally they choose their own loft where they trap all week, but whatever people want to call it, it works and thats all that matters

Thought you said they had the choice Ryan bit that dusnae matter many roads mate

The hens are paired in the widowhood cock section prior to the season...but each and everyday they are trapped to their own loft and on a race day they have a choice of either their own loft or the widowhood cocks loft to trap to but generally they choose their own loft. i always have 3-4 dropper hens dal, and usually one or two cocks at home when racing, ive found over the years it doesnt matter what is shown to the first arrivals aslong as something is shown, untill their partner arrives. When i say fed in troughs, i just want to clarify my birds are not hopper fed(food infront of them at all times) but are fed strictly to what i feel they need

good system wiley very similar to how i race my own oldbird team