The Novice Ask,s " Wiley "

would like to thank "Wiley" Ryan for taking the time to do this Question & Answer session .although much younger than myself and many site members he is someone ive looked up to regarding his honest and very knowledgeable posts.

1 , can you tell us how long you've flown pigeons ? apart from your Father are any other family members interested ?

2 , would you say you flew well from the start ? if not what changed ?

3 , Frank Tasker was a friend and an influence on you ,can you tell us about your relationship with the great man ?

4 , what families of birds do you keep ? if many why so ? what do you look for in selection ?

5 , tell us about your widow-hood system ,is it based on any others or ??

6 , what distances do you race the widow team from ? to ? what about training , loft flying for the team ?

7 , any information on feeding ?

8 , do you plan to make any changes for the future ??

9 , what are your lofts like ? standard , home made ? have you made any changes to trapping system or ventilation etc ?

10 , how do you select your breeders ? when you find a good pair, do you leave them together or ?? if your looking for new stock whats your criteria ?

11 , youngbirds ,darkness , natural, or ? to what distance do you send youngsters ? anything you do with them inparticular ? spending time with them ,or plenty of training , door system ?

12 , do you have a treatment regime prior to pairing ? oldbird ? and youngbird racing ?

13 , tell us your greatest moments flying ?

14 , you've helped a novice in the past by breeding him a winner . what advice can you give to those who are struggling to take cards ??

a BIG thank you to Ryan for taking the time to answer the above questions ,regards , andy.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally would like to mention a thank you to Andy, for approaching me to do this Q & A thread. I will try my best to make it as interesting as possible for those who fancy taking a look.

1. I was actually born into pigeons as my father had been a pigeon fancier since he was around 15 years old. Meaning I would have been in and around pigeons for the last 24 years. However, having my own section and racing my own way would be around 9-10 years ago. However I've always had some involvement around the birds, which hopefully I'll be able to explain a bit more in latter answers.

My grandfather on my mothers side, wasn't a pigeon racer, but a pigeon keeper when he was a very young man in the 1930s in Derry, on the Lecky Road. His pigeons were mainly all fancy breds which he used to purchase of a disabled chap on the same road. When moving to England he never kept pigeons again, however he always had an interest and would always ask about the birds and how they was doing result wise.

My fathers uncle is and was until recent years, was a very successful fancier on what East Londoners call the "Island" which is short for the Isle of Dogs. Uncle Ron was very successful in the at one time big Millwall club. He also started up my fathers interest when he was a young boy, and got him his first pair of pigeons A black cock and white hen.

My nephew had an interest for a short while, however like all lads when the other birds come calling, the lads go crawling. My little boy also has a keen interest and has a habit of naming all the birds, he actually is a natural around all animals, and it is amazing to watch him and hopefully his interest continues to grow.

3. Most children, when they was 6 year old at the time had football players, musicians, actors ect as role models, I had a pigeon fancier. I remember like it was yesterday, watching the famous video at the time 'Best Of British' featuring Frank Tasker and Geoff Kirkland. I was utterly in ore, besotted by the video after the first viewing. I watched it over and over again. A common thing my parents would say was "Are you watching that again?". I knew the video word for word, I even said the lines before they were said on the screen. I was amazed by the professionalism, the quality of the pigeons and what was in my mind advanced techniques. I convinced my father to follows Franks methods to the tee from the video. I was at the time in charge of all morning procedures around the lofts .

It was some years later, that my father gave in and let me attend Blackpool. I was still watching the video and knew it word for word, I saw the stand list and first port of call was to Franks Stand. At this time I had a regular column in the RP, as a scribe for the RP. I made a point that I must have a photo of myself with Frank, and write an article on my Blackpool experience. While visiting the stand a Blue chequer hen caught my eye a Grandaughter of "The Filmstar" and Willy Thas' "Pokke". We purchased her and took her home. What I must mention I was in charge of selecting all pairings from a very young age. The same year I purchased the hen from Frank, my father and myself joined a second club, which my father said would be my own club, and he gave me my own section to play with and do my own thing, where I would race about 10 young birds my own way. The other young birds we raced in the other club I was still in charge but we followed a different system.

I have wondered slightly. However from this Blue chequer hen, in her first year, I bred 6 young birds from her, where all 6 would be part of my team. At the end of the season, 5 was left, 4 won races as babies, the 5th one was the most successfully and consistent as an old bird and although he never won he took many cards up until he was lost at 4 years old at a difficult Berwick. Myself and my father was shocked at the success rate at what this hen had produced.

A couple years later I approached Frank on Pigeon Basics, to get a cock bird to pair to the hen. He stated he was impressed by some posts I had done on the website and he made a promise he would only give me his best, and he had a late bred in mind, but he wanted to see how it matured. He also said he'll take me under his wing. I was like a kid in a car, to say I bugged him constantly, was it ready yet would be an understatement. But Frank was a great gentleman. A few months later this cock arrived and my jaw hit the floor he was breath taking. In my mind he was the complete pigeon. He was a full brother to Franks Olympiad pigeon.

Frank and Anne invited me down to their lovely home, to learn more about their family of birds and methods. I was made most welcome. I think it was the first time in my life I had handled what I would call a family of birds, every pigeon handled to type all like peas in a pod. One after the other, champion after a champion for a young man it was a dream. I learnt a lot that day, more importantly the throat theory which I had seen many years before on BEST OF BRITISH, but was confused by. He taught me all his ways. I think Frank liked my inquisitiveness looking around every corner and asking why.What I hadn't stated, I was regularly on the phone to Frank, and was bombarding him with questions and general pigeon talk sometimes on a daily basis.

I could go on about it all day. But what I will say is not many people come along like Frank he was one in a million, he would help anyone. I'm truly in debt to him. I often think about him and think what would Frank do, when I'm around the lofts. I just hope one day I can win the London North Road Combine again, and be able to name one of my birds in his honour.

3. Most children, when they was 6 year old at the time had football players, musicians, actors ect as role models, I had a pigeon fancier. I remember like it was yesterday, watching the famous video at the time 'Best Of British' featuring Frank Tasker and Geoff Kirkland. I was utterly in ore, besotted by the video after the first viewing. I watched it over and over again. A common thing my parents would say was "Are you watching that again?". I knew the video word for word, I even said the lines before they were said on the screen. I was amazed by the professionalism, the quality of the pigeons and what was in my mind advanced techniques. I convinced my father to follows Franks methods to the tee from the video. I was at the time in charge of all morning procedures around the lofts .

It was some years later, that my father gave in and let me attend Blackpool. I was still watching the video and knew it word for word, I saw the stand list and first port of call was to Franks Stand. At this time I had a regular column in the RP, as a scribe for the RP. I made a point that I must have a photo of myself with Frank, and write an article on my Blackpool experience. While visiting the stand a Blue chequer hen caught my eye a Grandaughter of "The Filmstar" and Willy Thas' "Pokke". We purchased her and took her home. What I must mention I was in charge of selecting all pairings from a very young age. The same year I purchased the hen from Frank, my father and myself joined a second club, which my father said would be my own club, and he gave me my own section to play with and do my own thing, where I would race about 10 young birds my own way. The other young birds we raced in the other club I was still in charge but we followed a different system.

I have wondered slightly. However from this Blue chequer hen, in her first year, I bred 6 young birds from her, where all 6 would be part of my team. At the end of the season, 5 was left, 4 won races as babies, the 5th one was the most successfully and consistent as an old bird and although he never won he took many cards up until he was lost at 4 years old at a difficult Berwick. Myself and my father was shocked at the success rate at what this hen had produced.

A couple years later I approached Frank on Pigeon Basics, to get a cock bird to pair to the hen. He stated he was impressed by some posts I had done on the website and he made a promise he would only give me his best, and he had a late bred in mind, but he wanted to see how it matured. He also said he'll take me under his wing. I was like a kid in a car, to say I bugged him constantly, was it ready yet would be an understatement. But Frank was a great gentleman. A few months later the late bred arrived and my jaw hit the floor he was breath taking. In my mind he was the complete pigeon. He was a full brother to Franks Olympiad pigeon.

Frank and Anne invited me down to their lovely home, to learn more about their family of birds and methods. I was made most welcome. I think it was the first time in my life I had handled what I would call a family of birds, every pigeon handled to type all like peas in a pod. One after the other, champion after a champion for a young man it was a dream. I learnt a lot that day, more importantly the throat theory which I had seen many years before on BEST OF BRITISH, but was confused by. He taught me all his ways. I think Frank liked my inquisitiveness looking around every corner and asking why.What I hadn't stated, I was regularly on the phone to Frank, and was bombarding him with questions and general pigeon talk sometimes on a daily basis.

I could go on about it all day. But what I will say is not many people come along like Frank he was one in a million, he would help anyone. I'm truly in debt to him. I often think about him and think what would Frank do, when I'm around the lofts. I just hope one day I can win the London North Road Combine again, and be able to name one of my birds in his honour.

What I would say the success rate of Franks birds is nothing myself or my father has experienced

4. I do not believe in families of birds, I only believe in good pigeons. Over the years Ive had and added certain strains, my family of birds contain blood of, Haelterman, Thas, Maurice Cassaert, Gevaert Van Schoorise, Leemputten, Fran's Laermans, Lefebre Dhaenen, Vandenabeeles, Soontjen, Marcelis, Rene Naewelaert, Lambrechts there maybe a few I've failed to mention.

Selection is typically based, on my own pedigree, that there must be winners on each generation of birds.

5 and 6. My widowhood system is very basic. The cocks are let out once per day for a period of 2 hours. There expected to exercise for 45 minutes with the doors closed. The doors are then opened and it's what we say here there allowed to play and do as they please. The cocks are never trained, and they see there hens every Friday and return from race.

Certain birds are selected for races. But the last few years I race from 74-500 miles. However I haven't raced for a number of years but have been successful with the birds at 600 miles.

Birds are also fed communally.

7. Regarding feeding I have many beliefs, but the general jest, is when returning from a race the birds must have high percentage of protein. For when you tear muscle fibres you must repair, and proteins and amino acids are the building blocks. As the days go on the protein must be lowered dramatically and the fats and carbs must be introduced. There is a post I done which Fifer asked to make into an article, on the main website.

8. Next season, the plan is to attempt double widowhood, as being a small team fancier, I would like to improve my chances at the distance events when I cannot remember sending more then 3 birds. So the hens aim would be for the LNRC events. I'm relishing the prospects of racing widowhood hens. As for many years my best racing young hens went to stock, and I feel my family of birds may be suited to racing hens. But i will be following a feeding method that Frank showed me with hens.

9. My widowhood loft was hand made by a friend, but was converted. Now it's front is 95% twin polycarbonated sheeting, which lets in plenty of light and brings in warmth. The loft is also lined with loft insulation and boarded out. There is little to no air apart from small cracks from bad workmanship and any air is chin eyed affected from 2 wholes either side of the apex. The loft I must state is dry all year and controls humidity well. There is heating fitted also but it is only used for about one month in the year . Also has wire doors if I feel the loft needs to be cooler in the summer these are used.

My young bird and stock lofts were made by Phoenix and as well as widowhood loft these lofts are open door trapping

The last loft is the old experiment loft, this is where we keep out May bred babies. The loft design is on red rose lofts but is a converted 6x4 garden shed. Very happy with this loft.

10. Pairs are never left together here, however it doesn't mean they will not be paired together again. I keep 8 pair of stock birds, Many are retired winners. I look a lot at bloodlines. I like to line breed back to two pigeons, the filmstar and Pokke. As said before if you can get at least one winner in each generation your on the right path. I also look at the throat, but only do it once a year. My best stock hens however before paired to stock cocks are paired to my best racing cocks currently, once laid, eggs under sat, and split.

When looking for new stock if I can't buy the champion himself, I will buy a son(if champion hen) or a daughter (if a champion cock). I also will look at the throat but at auctions this can be misguided as the bird is under constant stress.

11. All youngsters are put on dark no matter when their weaned. Nothing special is done, apart from trying to make them feel comfortable with their environment, by making dark spaces for them. My young birds are not seperated if they pair they can pair but to be honest my birds are not early bred, so they only start to show towards the end of the season. They are trained 3 times per week.Can't say it's special but from weaning they only loft fly on weekends, until roughly 5 weeks before first race. The young birds are selected for the combine event which is roughly 235 miles

12. Prior to pairing all birds are treated for paratyphus for 14 days, and all birds are vaccinated for PMV about 4 weeks prior to pairing date. They are cankered while sitting eggs. I must state I haven't coccied or wormed a pigeon for a number of years now. The Old birds will be blind treated for respiratory prior to training with the car preseason. Young birds on weaning are vaccinated for PMV, and given a canker tablet. Before training they'll be respiratoried blindly. No birds will be treated apart from that unless I feel it's necessary.

I will say I am a big believer in GEMS Strike every Sunday after a race. It isn't an antibiotic but I feel it helpse cleanse the birds after a race, from anything they've picked up in the crates.

13. It's Hard to say without sounding like blowing your own trumpet, but I'll only mention the last 3 years in London North Road combine races in top 20, I will not mention club or fed. 7th Open LNRC Berwick, 5th Open LNRC Berwick, 8th Open LNRC Scotch Corner, 12th Open LNRC Berwick, 9th Open LNRC Aycliffe, 16th Open LNRC Aycliffe.

14. The biggest mistake I see people doing when their not taking cards, is chopping and changing systems and methods and following one thing, changing the next. Make a plan, stick with it and it will come good.

I've helped and tried to help many people in the past and is something I enjoy to do when and often as I can.