Cinnamon

hi every one does any one use cinnamon on the corn of your birds to stop young bird sickness happening.just saw it some where that a fancier as used it for about five years and not got young bird sickness in that time

yogurt would be used to help birds with young bird sickness, but most believe it comes from, birds being in contact with birds that have just been jagged, at different times of the month, and put in your shed with others it is the only thing I could think that could bring this on, as it only affects young birds in may to june time leaving feeding about and it getting soiled would be the number one route

hi every one does any one use cinnamon on the corn of your birds to stop young bird sickness happening.just saw it some where that a fancier as used it for about five years and not got young bird sickness in that time

Owen uses cinnamon powder I believe every day he may see this and share his reasons for using it

Nice on warm brown toast with honey,especially on a cold morning with a mug of tea. :animatedpigeons:

Your pigeons are well cared for Lindsay!! I reckon mine would eat the toast and honey, but I'm not so sure about the mug of tea. Do you give them it in a mug or in the fountain or am I just being silly? :emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl:

• 1 month later...

Norbans extracts has cinnamon in its great stuf and much cheaper than ropa b

Alot of Norbans Stuff they no longer sell, I bought some stuff of John two years back and was really impressed by it, when looking at their website few months back to buy more, the stuff they either no longer make or sell. John sadly recently passed away he was a good man.

Before the days of antibiotics herbs and spices were used as medicines or promotions of health in people and animals. I first found out about cinnamon from an Australian Vet who recommends it to promote health. I have used cinnamon on the corn for years now and I swear by that and fresh chopped garlic. I think that it is much better to use this sort of stuff in small quantities every day rather that larger quantities less frequently.

I would never use antibiotics these days although I did use them years ago. I reckon that antibiotics ruin pigeons. In regard to the idea that cinnamon helps with YBS. I doubt that it can help to cure a viral disease but it will help to get the birds into very good health which must help to protect them from illness. I think that there is a massive misunderstanding about YBS because I know that in this area people use all sorts of potions and antibiotics to try to cure it. If as I believe YBS is a virus no amount of medication will cure it much the same as with the common cold in people or distemper in dogs. Maybe secondary infections can be helped but they will probably be bacterial infections that have attacked the bird when it has been weakened by the virus. My way with YBS is to try to avoid the disease striking by vaccination at the right time and by making sure my birds are as healthy as possible by worming them regularly and keeping a check on other potential health problems.

Before the days of antibiotics herbs and spices were used as medicines or promotions of health in people and animals. I first found out about cinnamon from an Australian Vet who recommends it to promote health. I have used cinnamon on the corn for years now and I swear by that and fresh chopped garlic. I think that it is much better to use this sort of stuff in small quantities every day rather that larger quantities less frequently.

I would never use antibiotics these days although I did use them years ago. I reckon that antibiotics ruin pigeons. In regard to the idea that cinnamon helps with YBS. I doubt that it can help to cure a viral disease but it will help to get the birds into very good health which must help to protect them from illness. I think that there is a massive misunderstanding about YBS because I know that in this area people use all sorts of potions and antibiotics to try to cure it. If as I believe YBS is a virus no amount of medication will cure it much the same as with the common cold in people or distemper in dogs. Maybe secondary infections can be helped but they will probably be bacterial infections that have attacked the bird when it has been weakened by the virus. My way with YBS is to try to avoid the disease striking by vaccination at the right time and by making sure my birds are as healthy as possible by worming them regularly and keeping a check on other potential health problems.

what do you use for worming Owen as was reading that worms building up resistance to a lot of wormers now .

my wormer of choice is cydermectine. I don't think worms can build a resistance if you make sure you do not leave worms alive. The danger is with hair worm because it can need more than one treatment to kill them all.

sometimes you dont get what it says on the bottle or a watered down version

moxi is probally the best product around for worms as it eliminates most worms and mite

i was reading it on a cattle forum and they were saying worms were getting very resistant to ivemectin now !! moxidectin is just a different version of ivermectin

Most test results I've read has been in horses but it shows in nearlly every aspect that moxi is far superior to ivermectin moxi is a newer wormer and in any tests I've read its ivermectin which as shown poorer results they may be the same family but one is newer and way more advanced the same really as most drugs they move on every few year

Most test results I've read has been in horses but it shows in nearlly every aspect that moxi is far superior to ivermectin moxi is a newer wormer and in any tests I've read its ivermectin which as shown poorer results they may be the same family but one is newer and way more advanced the same really as most drugs they move on every few year

have to agree with you on that and to be honest pigeon fanciers have short memories it was reported that the use of IVERMECTIN was responsible for the deaths of vultures that had ate the carcasses of dead animals that had been treated with it for worms etc think it was ROLAND that put something on here about it at the time that the know alls had made alterations to it in order that birds of prey would no longer die from its use making it completely useless ;)

sammy it was not ivermectin that was killing the vultures m8 i put up the post it was diclofenec that was killing them but i was told by a vet that ivermectin can make pigeons sterile with over use scary stuff

it dont matter what it was walter but the powers to be will have it altered by now :animatedpigeons: