Hello Everyone

Guest RedWest

Hello Gentlemen.

My name is Frank and I am returning to the fancy after more than 25 years absence, now that the kids are grown and out of my hair (although both boys are still living at home). I used to breed and show West of England Tumblers back in the late 70's and early 80's and had a really nice stud of line bred birds when I had to pack up, due to work hours and young kids and the mix was not conducive to maintaining the birds in the way I liked. I showed around the country at the classic flying breed shows and was also a judge before I packed it all in.

Now I'm retired(only 60 though),back and raring to go, although I don't have any birds yet,but I have my stock birds lined up from a good friend who was on the go when I was. He has invited me to visit his lofts in Devon to pick my starting pairs. He was always at the top of his game and his birds were always top notch, so I am confident of getting the right birds to start a new stud. I live in Nottinghamshire and am currently awaiting a new loft to be delivered from Parkhall Timber Products in Derbyshire. It should be arriving next week.I can't wait.

Anyway, I could rabbit on all day about preparations, etc, but this is just supposed to be an introduction, so I'll stop gabbing and just say that finding a site like this was wonderful, because when I was in the fancy the last time, there was no such thing and forums like this are a wonderful way for fanciers who are usually spread out all over the country to keep in touch.

wellcome to you frank and as a resent member of the 60 yr old club i know what you mean m8 lol im still learning how to work this thing but im getting there great site this and as you say allows you to speak to fanciers far and wide hope you enjoy it and good luck with your birds

Welcome to basics Frank I hope you enjoy the site and I look forward to your posts. Although racing pigeons is my main hobby I also have a few pairs of Wests that I obtained to give my young daughter an interest so I hope I can pick up a few tips from your good self as to loft management and preparation for shows etc.

Pat

Hello Gentlemen.

My name is Frank and I am returning to the fancy after more than 25 years absence, now that the kids are grown and out of my hair (although both boys are still living at home). I used to breed and show West of England Tumblers back in the late 70's and early 80's and had a really nice stud of line bred birds when I had to pack up, due to work hours and young kids and the mix was not conducive to maintaining the birds in the way I liked. I showed around the country at the classic flying breed shows and was also a judge before I packed it all in.

Now I'm retired(only 60 though),back and raring to go, although I don't have any birds yet,but I have my stock birds lined up from a good friend who was on the go when I was. He has invited me to visit his lofts in Devon to pick my starting pairs. He was always at the top of his game and his birds were always top notch, so I am confident of getting the right birds to start a new stud. I live in Nottinghamshire and am currently awaiting a new loft to be delivered from Parkhall Timber Products in Derbyshire. It should be arriving next week.I can't wait.

Anyway, I could rabbit on all day about preparations, etc, but this is just supposed to be an introduction, so I'll stop gabbing and just say that finding a site like this was wonderful, because when I was in the fancy the last time, there was no such thing and forums like this are a wonderful way for fanciers who are usually spread out all over the country to keep in touch.

Great introduction Frank, welcome to the site and back to your pigeons, hope all goes well for you and you get established quickly back into the sport. atvb John.

This really is heart warming to receive so many welcoming posts and for those of you who might be interested in Wests, or to see how I get on in my return, I have started a blog today, to document my return after 25 years away.

Since I don't have my birds yet and the loft is due to arrive next week, I thought it would be good to start right from the beginning now, rather than try to remember stuff in a few months time when my "old fart memory" plays tricks on me. I am going to try to document everything that happens to do with pigeons.

I hope it's not against the rules to post the link to my blog? It's in my sig anyway.

And thanks again everyone who has posted a welcome, it's much appreciated.

Good luck with your return to the sport Frank

Read your blog very good

Have raced the doos for 41 years and until I viewed the fancy pigeons at Blackpool two years back was ignorant of there existence ,must say I was very impressed and proved that once again never to late to learn

Atb Mick