Young Bird Sickness

Guest vander mungo

Guest vander mungo

this young bird sickness has a twist some die from it not like the ones ive had in the past whole of beith hs had it no one could race ther ybs this year it made some lame and not able to get to a perch if left you would find them dead on the floor next morning kinder to cull

this young bird sickness has a twist some die from it not like the ones ive had in the past whole of beith hs had it no one could race ther ybs this year it made some lame and not able to get to a perch if left you would find them dead on the floor next morning kinder to cull

Seems to me like paratyphoid. Billy not YBS .

all the hallmarks Stut , i would be worried myself with that . Hope you all get to the bottom of it .

Edited by stb-

Unfortunately what your describing isn't young bird sickness. Sounds to me either paratyphoid or Streppy.

There is a new strain of young bird sickness that struck Holland last year, and I believe hit these shores this year, which was a more vigorous form, but none with the symptoms your describing.

Sure you are right there Stuart E. coli salmonella secondary infections kicking in

Contacted it once through purchasing farm beans no doubt covered in rat / mouse ------

Birds were dying very quickly yb's that is ,got dead one tested at government place

Confirmed salmonella defra were informed

Got rid of feeding and birds that had been fed with it problem solved overnight

Otherwise can never be sure you have not then got a carrier

Sure you are right there Stuart E. coli salmonella secondary infections kicking in

Contacted it once through purchasing farm beans no doubt covered in rat / mouse ------

Birds were dying very quickly yb's that is ,got dead one tested at government place

Confirmed salmonella defra were informed

Got rid of feeding and birds that had been fed with it problem solved overnight

Otherwise can never be sure you have not then got a carrier

Happened o a fancier in my old club nearly 30 years ago , bought a few birds a few years on and bang an outbreak , traced it all back to this pair of birds , he hot rid of everything associated with them and the loft was fine again . It could Finnish you off easily .

Guest strapper

its very unlikely that youngbird sickness would be the problem associated with limps legs in pigeons..there are several options you have that will/could and several have been mentioned already.

youngbird sickness would not keep a loft from racing for long so if any lofts have been suffering for a long while then its most obviosly not youngbird sickness.

its easy for a loft to come under attack from salmonela because it can simply be brought in on a slug and then into your birds through eating off the floor or in the feeder the slug has moved over.

Billy can only speak for myself,but none of mine died,some showed no symtoms whatsoever.i noticed it monday afternoon,the week of the first race.i had them training at cumnock that morning and they beat me home.i always check the doos in the basket before release and noticed some droppings colour of mushy peas.as the day went on the doos looked as if they had been to a hard race.i fed them as normal that evening and as the night went on some birds were being sick(y/birds).in the morning the birds had been sick through the night and some some still doing it as i was in the loft.droppings were dark green and slimey and some wet,some both.did hear from others though that some of theirs had died on them.

Guest chad3646

has it been verified that it is a new strain ?