Snfc Nostalgia/chat

ForestForever74

Hi All,

Thought it would be interesting to hear peoples stories about starting out flying with the SNFC? Your first races? when you won your first prize?, relive the moment you won your best prize so far? Any myths surrounding the races? stories about birds performing heroics etc I know some people get a bit shy about achievements and talking about them but my own feeling is "if you win it then you should be proud of it".

As a brand new member of the SNFC this year I have really fallen for the history of the races and the previous winners of the open and in particular our Section, Section E. I have really been inspired by how well local fanciers to me have done over the years and we definitely plan to make our mark (the arrogance of a youthful 38 year old eh? lol).

Good luck for Maidstone everyone. I look forward to hearing some stories.

Andy

My first time in ,i was 15 and had waited since liberation from Rennes ,but nothing on the night but i was up at 3.30 next day and away upto the loft waited and waited Then she came over the tree`s down and in i finnished 330th open ish but i thought i had won the race,

I cried with joy that my wee doo (4139) had just flown 535 mls home to me .

Another time i painted the loft a dif colour when the birds were at the race,the birds just flew round and round lol ,The brother kicked me up and down the garden .

My first time in ,i was 15 and had waited since liberation from Rennes ,but nothing on the night but i was up at 3.30 next day and away upto the loft waited and waited Then she came over the tree`s down and in i finnished 330th open ish but i thought i had won the race,

Another time i painted the loft a dif colour when the birds were at the race,the birds just flew round and round lol ,The brother kicked me up and down the garden .

Haha cracking story pal, I remember my first ever race my doo came and circled for about 5 mins and my wee bro said George are they no ment to go in the doocot lol I chased him out my garden lol

last bits a cracker Colin :emoticon-0136-giggle::emoticon-0140-rofl:

Exeter 1983, Blaw hame, cheq hen landed on roof and took two minutes tae shout down. Grahamie was gan mental as it looked at him. I, 11yr old, did not quite grasp the his anger and told him to calm doon!!!! Well his reply turned the air blue and he was given a right bollocking frae my mam cos the neighbours could hear him!!! The hen was 1st sectA.Here is the pair of us at the excelsior gettin the trophy. Quite dashing in my tank top???

post-5579-13712414340952_thumb.jpg

Exeter 1983, Blaw hame, cheq hen landed on roof and took two minutes tae shout down. Grahamie was gan mental as it looked at him. I, 11yr old, did not quite grasp the his anger and told him to calm doon!!!! Well his reply turned the air blue and he was given a right bollocking frae my mam cos the neighbours could hear him!!! The hen was 1st sectA.Here is the pair of us at the excelsior gettin the trophy. Quite dashing in my tank top???

lol good one mate and a cracking pic as well. Partnerships have many benefits but one of them is not both partners waiting at the loft for the doo's to come home. Rab and I are hilarious, our neighbours get a right laugh at us. I sit in my chair and wait, silent just thinking the doo is just around the corner and who the heck knows what goes on in Rab's head! 30 cups of tea, pacing up and down the garden and asking the time every 30 seconds then I freak out and shout "where the **** are they" and hes like WTF where did that come from?. Partnerships are fun lol

lol good one mate and a cracking pic as well. Partnerships have many benefits but one of them is not both partners waiting at the loft for the doo's to come home. Rab and I are hilarious, our neighbours get a right laugh at us. I sit in my chair and wait, silent just thinking the doo is just around the corner and who the heck knows what goes on in Rab's head! 30 cups of tea, pacing up and down the garden and asking the time every 30 seconds then I freak out and shout "where the **** are they" and hes like WTF where did that come from?. Partnerships are fun lol

Exactly the same here mate. It was worse when a cousin of my dads kept the birds in the next garden and would pulverise us at the short races!! I would say' theres another to Ali' and I could see my old boy boiling LOL

Exactly the same here mate. It was worse when a cousin of my dads kept the birds in the next garden and would pulverise us at the short races!! I would say' theres another to Ali' and I could see my old boy boiling LOL

Haha nothing makes the old mans blood boil more than a doo landing on the wrong roof and even thinking about taking a drink from the gutter! he torn himself inside out to get them to stop it and the answer was very simple in the end and he stopped it. It always amazes me how we are on the same page every day when looking after our doo's but race day is something completely different. We work like clock work Monday to Friday and a sunday but a Saturday is just mental lol

Thats the same top ye had on the night :lol:

Hi All,

Thought it would be interesting to hear peoples stories about starting out flying with the SNFC? Your first races? when you won your first prize?, relive the moment you won your best prize so far? Any myths surrounding the races? stories about birds performing heroics etc I know some people get a bit shy about achievements and talking about them but my own feeling is "if you win it then you should be proud of it".

As a brand new member of the SNFC this year I have really fallen for the history of the races and the previous winners of the open and in particular our Section, Section E. I have really been inspired by how well local fanciers to me have done over the years and we definitely plan to make our mark (the arrogance of a youthful 38 year old eh? lol).

Good luck for Maidstone everyone. I look forward to hearing some stories.

Andy

First race I will ask my dad 1975 i think,first certificate 81 yb nat 3rd section,best prize 1st section alencon gold cup winning the arb trophy,we have been very lucky Andy and have won the region from all SNFC races ie young bird national,inland 400miles,500 miles and also 600 miles,some great history with the national and plenty of reading about if you want a loan of any old books etc no problem,but that's for the winter lol good luck at Maidstone. :partick-thistle-Crest:

I timed a hen to be 3rd Section Hastings in 2001, when you phoned your time in at that time, you got someone to speak to unlike today dealing with machines, anyway the gent on the other side of the phone told me i was the first to report a doo in the West, for the next few hours i experienced what it was like to win 1st Section SNFC. Little did i know Mr Hamilton from Netherburn would be 1st and G, Rankin was 2nd. Didnae matter though, i had the experience of my life until i heard their times and still smile when i think of that day.smile.gifsmile.gif

First race I will ask my dad 1975 i think,first certificate 81 yb nat 3rd section,best prize 1st section alencon gold cup winning the arb trophy,we have been very lucky Andy and have won the region from all SNFC races ie young bird national,inland 400miles,500 miles and also 600 miles,some great history with the national and plenty of reading about if you want a loan of any old books etc no problem,but that's for the winter lol good luck at Maidstone. :partick-thistle-Crest:

Cheers John I would deffo like those books and we will talk soon. All the best for Maidstone mate. I am sure luck played a part in your success but it was a very small percentage and I am more sure that good doo keeping was 90% of the task :-)

Interesting topic, A wee story fae me my first national must have been Rennes in the early eighties my dad hadn't been really interested in the nationals but had tried the last combine fae Averanches a few times.I was 11 or 12 when my dad met a neigbour who had scored well in the nationals in Longriggend with his dad. He confinced my dad to join and me had a 1977 Mealy cock who had been to most races except over the pond. So we joined and set up this old mealy for the race my dad decided myself and mum would take the bird over to Hamilton. We stood at the bus stop with a one bird basket and a very nice pigeon man on his way passed stopped and asked if we were going to Hamilton. He promptly invited us into car and ran us over to Hamilton think his name was Alex Ross fae Fife area. needless to say the old plodder of a mealy homed but out of race time. Mr Ross also ran us home he had been shocked to find a member of or own club and fed had ran past and gave him a dig at Hamilton lol

Cheers Shug

here's my wee bit of nostalgia for what it's worth,my first attempt at the gold cup with my single entry blue pied cock su o5 nw 6653 reims 2010 571 miles with the snfc,anyway after waiting all night the wife came in from her job as a carer at 10pm and shouted down the back to the lofts asking if i'd had anything to eat,after saying i hadn't she then went on to ask if i'd like to go with her down to the chippy,so having given up the ghost and thinking i wasn't going to get him home on the night we headed off being away for approx 10 minutes,on returning i told her i was just going down to lock up for the night and i'd be up in a minute,anyway on entering the garage i happened to glance at the ets clock and i nearly dropped the wee bugger was timed in at 10.11pm and after waiting all day and night and then being away for 10 mins and missing him coming home still brings a smile to my face and a feeling i'll never ever forget 1st fed 4th sect d 41st open absolute brilliant feeling so roll on this year starting with maidstone next week

Interesting topic, A wee story fae me my first national must have been Rennes in the early eighties my dad hadn't been really interested in the nationals but had tried the last combine fae Averanches a few times.I was 11 or 12 when my dad met a neigbour who had scored well in the nationals in Longriggend with his dad. He confinced my dad to join and me had a 1977 Mealy cock who had been to most races except over the pond. So we joined and set up this old mealy for the race my dad decided myself and mum would take the bird over to Hamilton. We stood at the bus stop with a one bird basket and a very nice pigeon man on his way passed stopped and asked if we were going to Hamilton. He promptly invited us into car and ran us over to Hamilton think his name was Alex Ross fae Fife area. needless to say the old plodder of a mealy homed but out of race time. Mr Ross also ran us home he had been shocked to find a member of or own club and fed had ran past and gave him a dig at Hamilton lol

Cheers Shug

[/quote

Its amazing that 36 years later father and son relationships still continue. My father Rab done very well racing doo's week in week out from Exeter, Dorchester and Worcester but never entered nationals. I still don't understand why not but hes in the nationals now and loving it. I should mention a very wise man for supplying him with doo's to do it at the time. Newby Dixon from Newcastle who sent him young birds as a thank you for reporting a lost pigeon but Rab still made them perform especially at a race from sartilly when I was very young.

here's my wee bit of nostalgia for what it's worth,my first attempt at the gold cup with my single entry blue pied cock su o5 nw 6653 reims 2010 571 miles with the snfc,anyway after waiting all night the wife came in from her job as a carer at 10pm and shouted down the back to the lofts asking if i'd had anything to eat,after saying i hadn't she then went on to ask if i'd like to go with her down to the chippy,so having given up the ghost and thinking i wasn't going to get him home on the night we headed off being away for approx 10 minutes,on returning i told her i was just going down to lock up for the night and i'd be up in a minute,anyway on entering the garage i happened to glance at the ets clock and i nearly dropped the wee bugger was timed in at 10.11pm and after waiting all day and night and then being away for 10 mins and missing him coming home still brings a smile to my face and a feeling i'll never ever forget 1st fed 4th sect d 41st open absolute brilliant feeling so roll on this year starting with maidstone next week

Great stuff Martin,just shows romance is not dead :emoticon-0140-rofl: did you get irn bru with the chips, :D

We had a hen late 80s early 90s who scored fae Rennes 3 year in a row her best position being 81st open but every year she came back she would sit on the house roof for 20-30 mins meaning she lost out in better positions. We couldn't understand her flying that distance and not trapping. Lost her the next year at Rennes she was 9 years old by this time and her first time over was when she was 6.

Cheers Shug

[/quote

Its amazing that 36 years later father and son relationships still continue. My father Rab done very well racing doo's week in week out from Exeter, Dorchester and Worcester but never entered nationals. I still don't understand why not but hes in the nationals now and loving it. I should mention a very wise man for supplying him with doo's to do it at the time. Newby Dixon from Newcastle who sent him young birds as a thank you for reporting a lost pigeon but Rab still made them perform especially at a race from sartilly when I was very young.

Cheers mate sadly a lost my dad last October to cancer just when we were talking about getting a few birds. We had to remind him hospital about memories and i brought up the time when he he wrote the wrong number on a transfer and the hen scored in a national 91st section only to be disqulified it brought a tear to his eye but a least he remembered as the staff said he was dilerious

cheers mate

ame='ForestForever74' date='14 June 2013 - 23:36 PM' timestamp='1371249409' post='845566']

Cheers mate sadly a lost my dad last October to cancer just when we were talking about getting a few birds. We had to remind him hospital about memories and i brought up the time when he he wrote the wrong number on a transfer and the hen scored in a national 91st section only to be disqulified it brought a tear to his eye but a least he remembered as the staff said he was dilerious

cheers mate

Amazing.