Yearlings Missing 2013, Darkness/natural 2012

ForestForever74

Hi All,

Given events today racing into Scotland and the losses that have occurred with Yearlings. It would be interesting to find out if the birds were on darkness or natural as young birds 2012?

Had them on darkness the 3 years since we started back in the sport but switched to natural this year to see what happens results wise yb's this year and hopefully have them in peak condition as yearlings but given recent events its a bit of a worry. Big losses with young birds across the board and now it seems that racing yearlings is tricky as well. Its a daunting thought when trying to build a team for the future,

Didn't sent this week and that seems to have been the best decision we have made this season given we fly a very small team.

Would be interesting to hear what people think regarding yearlings brought through darkness or natural.

Cheers

Andy Smith

Cumbernauld

Hi All,

Given events today racing into Scotland and the losses that have occurred with Yearlings. It would be interesting to find out if the birds were on darkness or natural as young birds 2012?

Had them on darkness the 3 years since we started back in the sport but switched to natural this year to see what happens results wise yb's this year and hopefully have them in peak condition as yearlings but given recent events its a bit of a worry. Big losses with young birds across the board and now it seems that racing yearlings is tricky as well. Its a daunting thought when trying to build a team for the future,

Didn't sent this week and that seems to have been the best decision we have made this season given we fly a very small team.

Would be interesting to hear what people think regarding yearlings brought through darkness or natural.

Cheers

Andy Smith

Cumbernauld

No diffo, they still need looking after unless ye have the one that has the special thing???? Tried to build a team for 30yrs and necer got close, lack of space and lack of quality??????

must be an equal amount of each astray here , so thats not the "problem" :emoticon-0127-lipssealed:

Agreed Andy but as a relative new start in the game along with my fathers long term experience its daunting to know that getting through the yb season and its losses as well it being difficult to get yearlings home in great numbers means the patience game is very important and not a lot of people have patience.

What you building a team for??

After two years most of your old birds will be dead or lost. Racing pigeons has changed in the last 20 years no time to build teams unlike years ago when most guys built a team of old birds for the distance races . Goodness sake the birds are just over the 200 mile and a lot guys are ready to finish up for the season with losses etc.

Yearlings should be raced out only the lucky good ones will remain.

Sorry to be brutal but its the truth

Agreed Andy but as a relative new start in the game along with my fathers long term experience its daunting to know that getting through the yb season and its losses as well it being difficult to get yearlings home in great numbers means the patience game is very important and not a lot of people have patience.

the hospitals full of them lol

"patience is a virtue" , not a lesson easily learnt pal . however , even if not a skill you currently have , its one you must take on board .

What you building a team for??After two years most of your old birds will be dead or lost. Racing pigeons has changed in the last 20 years no time to build teams unlike years ago when most guys built a team of old birds for the distance races . Goodness sake the birds are just over the 200 mile and a lot guys are ready to finish up for the season with losses etc. Yearlings should be raced out only the lucky good ones will remain. Sorry to be brutal but its the truth

very true pal.

After two years most of your old birds will be dead or lost. Racing pigeons has changed in the last 20 years no time to build teams unlike years ago when most guys built a team of old birds for the distance races . Goodness sake the birds are just over the 200 mile and a lot guys are ready to finish up for the season with losses etc.

Your not wrong mate, only have a small team and I have 5 for the inland snfc nationals this year 4x2 year olds and 1xyearlings and that's from a team of 40 young birds in the last two seasons. Our two section prize winners from yb national last year have been iffy and am not willing to fling them away. Lots of well bred doo's going missing all over the place, its frightening and like I said only seriously being new to the sport in the last few years its daunting. Just want to gage peoples opinion and I wont disagree with anyone. Its all about the individuals experience.

Brutal honesty is best all day long.

"patience is a virtue" , not a lesson easily learnt pal . however , even if not a skill you currently have , its one you must take on board .

Im a new breed I got patience all day long, the auld man is off the days gone by when the birds went every week, hes learning though lol :-)

very true pal.

Guest chad3646

spot on frank the stock birds are breeding your young ones the young ones are getting slaughtered you dont know if the stock birds are any good, so race them right out to see if they are any good

spot on frank the stock birds are breeding your young ones the young ones are getting slaughtered you dont know if the stock birds are any good, so race them right out to see if they are any good

how do you know if they are any good if the ones that survive are the ones you are saying are good! you cant make that judgement in todays racing, only the good are aurviving! total b/s its luck if anything. Top fliers are losing birds just the same as everybody else. If that's the case I look forward to losing birds bred down from Tam Richardson, Eadie and Kelly, Robbie Higgins and Harky and the likes next season. Grrrrr

how do you know if they are any good if the ones that survive are the ones you are saying are good! you cant make that judgement in todays racing, only the good are aurviving! total b/s its luck if anything. Top fliers are losing birds just the same as everybody else. If that's the case I look forward to losing birds bred down from Tam Richardson, Eadie and Kelly, Robbie Higgins and Harky and the likes next season. Grrrrr

thought you said you wont disagree with anyone, aye sounds like it

racing all yearlings that were natural ybs and latebreds,so far so good.

NEVER MIND THE DOO!S....Patty Bhoy.....just had my photograph taken at my family retirement meal with no other than...."LUBO" MORAVCHICK excuse the spelling....cheers

I'm with Frank yearlings have got to be raced out to the coast atleast. You will not build a team worth having molly coddling them imo

The basket is the key! Get them sent you will be left with doos worth a perch

I never said you would build a team. You won't have many left for a team.

Let me know when there successful then.

Could name one right now that has built a team up over the last 6 year I think and been in the top 20 from the channel 3 times in the last four.

There is another who came back to the sport last year who has dropped only 3 pigeons from forty odds so far this season. I bet ye see him on the newbury result

As most know I don't race my youngsters or if I do then its one or two races at most , I have lost 2/3 rds of my yearlings up to now , half of them training , quite sure Percy has lts to do with that , but other guys in club that have raced their youngsters right out are no better than me % wise , it's the same when yearlings ,IMHO. Gone are the days when u could send them all out to the later races, even the coast . I think if you can get them out to Leicester distance 270 odd miles then they are worth putting bye till next year .

Could name one right now that has built a team up over the last 6 year I think and been in the top 20 from the channel 3 times in the last four.

There is another who came back to the sport last year who has dropped only 3 pigeons from forty odds so far this season. I bet ye see him on the newbury result

you want to name them ? now ?