How Many Birds Have You Lost This Year Racing

Guest TAMMY_1

Guest TAMMY_1

How many birds have you actually lost racing this year so far ?[or is it a secret]

6 for us,

and as Alf asked in a post if everybody put up their losses/returns then everybody would see how many birds are actually being lost and from where

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was at everyrace for the first five plus the kelso open sent every pigeon everyweek except eggs hens

So up to thirsk I had dropped 7/32 then I missed a week away on a stag doo. First race back on saturday I lost 10/20 fekin shocking.

So im left with ten plus 4 hens that were eggy on sat they will go to leicester

Lost a yearling cock,he missed the first couple of races due to casting an end flight,put him into a 160ml race which turned out a stiff one and dipped him.With racing only inland, don't tend to get many losses (touch wood).

Guest stb-

dunbar 10 sent 0 lost

st boswells 16 sent 0 lost

otterburn 36 sent 4 lost one of those 4 yr old reported dead with bop

aycliffe 24 sent 3 lost one back last week hawked

weatherby 16 sent 1 awol was the best racing cock in loft

newark 15 sent 7 awol

Guest big slim

Started with 12 cocks and 6 hens. Lost 1 cock racing and 2 cocks off loft on same night. One of them was best cock in loft i was gutted, bad enough losing them racing.

How many birds have you actually lost racing this year so far ?[or is it a secret]

6 for us,

and as Alf asked in a post if everybody put up their losses/returns then everybody would see how many birds are actually being lost and from where

Its a start but then what,I believe that a lot more information would need to be collated,information such as....

1.velocities of leading birds

2.missing birds.....where did they end up east/west/north/south

3.compare against other federation at the same race point.

The list is endless as I stated in a previous post very high losses have resulted in fanciers breeding more birds each year trying to compensate for their heavy losses,breeding from birds that they should have binned the year before,

I was once given a tip many years ago from a fancier who won 1st rennes with the S.N.F.C. when ringing your young birds,when there is two in the nest choose what you see as being the better of the two and ring it with the even number ring,the one you least fancied ring it with the odd number,in the case of a single reared y/b make your own decision even or odd.....at the end of the season check the numbers,after a couple of years you will find that a high percentage left each year will be even numbers and if you have an odd number ring left you will in all probability have its nest mate .....what I am tying to point out you get a chance early in the birds life to dispose of it...it just wont make the grade....try it