Color Breeding

Guest levelnesteele

Guest levelnesteele

Hi can any body tell how to reproduce my barlees mealy grizzle cock,i have a full sister who is black grizzle and a red grizzle dtr,also is he geneticly red or black ,he is covered in loads of black splashes or dusting,he should be as my avatar,any advice welcome,steve.

Guest geordiejen

he is ash red spread.those black splashes means he is carrying 2 colours.the one he is showing and another hidden.if you pair him to a black hen you might get birds the same colour.you dont know what he is carrying.also he may be only carrying 1 gene for spread.

Guest levelnesteele

thank you,if i paired him to his dtr who is a red griz would i stand more chance of getting a similar youngster in colour to him or am i on the wrong track,steve.

Guest geordiejen

it all depends on what the cock bird is genetically.on face he is an ash red spread carrying a dilution.in order to get cocks and hens like him you should pair him to another spread coloured bird.although if he has 2 spread chromasoms in his genes then a red cheq hen would throw red spreads and red cheqs but also blacks or blue cheqs.if he is paired to a red hen then any bird thats blue will be a hen as the cocks other colour will be shown only in his daughters.

Guest levelnesteele

thank you its obviousley not as straight forward as i hoped ,gues all i can do is experiment,but thanx for your advice,steve.

Guest ljb107

What are his parents? He's a spread ash red carrying blue by the sounds.

Also what pattern is he? and what did you pair him to, to get his daughter?

Lloyd :)

Guest geordiejen

hens dont carry any other colour than shown.ash red is the strongest colour then blue then brown.blacks are basically blue with the spread gene.so pairing a red onto a blue will not guarantee the young will be red.the simple answer is if you want a pigeon a particular colour then pair 2 birds that are that colour.im sure someone will have an ash red spread hen spare.

Guest levelnesteele

hi his dad is black splash barless all i know is his mother was a grizzle ,i got him from a stud so i dont have the parents,when he produced me the red grizzle dtr he was paired to a blue grizzle,thanx to both of you for your advice,these a roland janssens if that helps at all,cheers steve.

Guest levelnesteele

sorry forgot to add i dont understand what color pattern means he just looks white with loads of sooty like dusting particularly on tips of each individual feather all over and its showing more since his winter moult,

Guest ljb107

You have a bit of learning to do on colours, patterns and modifiers i'm afraid.

Like geo has said there are 3 colours, brown, blue and ash red, in order of dominance. Then you have 4 patterns which are barless, bar, chequer and t-chequer, in order of dominance.

Then you have modifiers such as various grizzles, bronzes, spread (which makes blacks when on blue, spread browns on brown and spread ash red when on ash reds), recessive red, recessive white, indigo, dominant opal, recessive opal etc

Lloyd :)

Guest levelnesteele

thanx for your reply,looks like ive some reading to do ,i managed the ressesive red thing pairing dtr back to father ,that was easy but ths is like a whole new ball game,thanx from this newby,steve.