Barcelona

PATTY BHOY

Guest snowy2011

I would say its more of an endurance more than a race...

Still love to fly it one day though.

And it's finding the pigeons to do the job

Do you think sending to Barcelona from Britain is a good race or too much for the pigeons.

Depends on location and the pigeons. John Ellis done it in Dundee, over 1000 miles. Takes a special bird and special preparation. Some English fanciers are managing 700 miles plus on the day, so I would think that would have to be your starting point. You would need birds from 700 - 800 mile families to even have a chance.

Flew Barca last year for the first time - still waiting for my entries. (746 miles)

Its a very tough race for one reason only but.........its a very big reason called the ALPS.

I have had good success from race points Pau and Perpignan this side of the Alps but in my opinion to get through the Mountains, the birds have to be lucky.

They need to pick the right valleys on their first trip and then they will come through everytime. The problem is, there are too many wrong valleys which lead off to Poland, Luxembourg etc.

I have now decided not to send to Barcelona until the birds have been to the South of France at least 1/2 a dozen times.

D.D

There was a good few fanciers getting them to fly over 1000 miles,I had a hen that flew it twice,

Excellent. There used to be a club back in the late 60's early 70's. Remember Davidson?, the schoolteacher from Kilwinning doing it a couple of times, but it took his bird around a month, I think.

How does this race go do you send the birds to race back or is it a one loft race ???

Both.

You can send with the Barcelona Club, marking station at Carslisle, although they sometimes go to Palamos, or the BICC, marking stations down south somewhere.

The one loft race is based in France and run by John McGee and John Tyerman.

Excellent. There used to be a club back in the late 60's early 70's. Remember Davidson?, the schoolteacher from Kilwinning doing it a couple of times, but it took his bird around a month, I think.

Naw before my time, But i remember G.Ogilvie & sons hen flew Palamos 3 times 1043 miles in the Scottish 1000 mile club, They went with the British Barcelona club

1957.T.A.MURRAY,ANSTRUTHER,FIFE,1,047 MILES,24TH DAY ( NEW RECORD).

1958.J.McALPINE&SON,ARMADALE,1,036 MILES,8 DAYS 23 HRS( NEW RECORD).

1959.D.FORSYTH,PAISLEY,1,042 MILES,18 DAYS( NEW RECORD).

1960.''FAITH''W.G.DAVIDSON,STEVENSTON,1,033 MILES,8DAYS 23HRS 50 MINUTES ( NEW RECORD),WHO MADE ANOTHER RECORD BY BEING THE FIRST BRITISH PIGEON TO DO 1,000 MILES TWICE BY DOING IT AGAIN IN 1961.

1960.J.BRUCE.FRASERBURGH,1,142MILES( THE PRESENT BRITISH LONG DISTANCE RECORD).1961.

MR&MRS.J.GRAHAM,ECCLEFECHAN,HAD THE FIRST TWO INTO SCOTLAND,BUT W.G.DAVIDSON WAS AGAIN THE FIRST TO VERIFY OVER 1,OOOMILES.

1963.J.MOFFAT,GOREBRIDGE,1,025MILES,8DAYS 2HOURS 38 MINUTES( PRESENT RECORD).

1964.W.G.DAVIDSON,STEVENSTON,AGAIN HAD THE FIRST 1,000MILER

1960.''FAITH''W.G.DAVIDSON,STEVENSTON,1,033 MILES,8DAYS 23HRS 50 MINUTES ( NEW RECORD),WHO MADE ANOTHER RECORD BY BEING THE FIRST BRITISH PIGEON TO DO 1,000 MILES TWICE BY DOING IT AGAIN IN 1961.

1960.J.BRUCE.FRASERBURGH,1,142MILES( THE PRESENT BRITISH LONG DISTANCE RECORD).1961.

MR&MRS.J.GRAHAM,ECCLEFECHAN,HAD THE FIRST TWO INTO SCOTLAND,BUT W.G.DAVIDSON WAS AGAIN THE FIRST TO VERIFY OVER 1,OOOMILES.

One can only imagine etc the pride the owners all must have had, when they saw those gallant birds land from such a distance."Fantastic effort" at least in my view.

Enjoy.

That's him, the schoolteacher from Kilwinning. He was still sending them in 1970's and they were still coming back.