Pigeon Health Questions For Walter

andy Burgess

have noticed Walter Boswell 59 has been in the sport a good while , i like some of his posts and they have interested me. so i want to put a question to Wattie about the health of birds in the basket ,something he commented on in another thread. looking forward to the answers and guidance . thanks in advance pal . :animatedpigeons:

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok andy 1st of all let me say im no writer and i have nothin to gain by saying what i have found other than my birds will be less likely to catch anything from any other birds if we all do the same to help our selves and our sport this is going to take a while to go through step by step and i am not to cleaver on computer but for andy and those who are interested here goes 15 years ago i bought 12 yb from louella i did not know michael and john massarella then as i do now but was on good tearms with there manager keith whom i found to be a real nice helpful guy keithcalled to say birds were on there way i allready had 16 of my own in the section only taken away the week be fore i had taken the new birds out the box checking them as i put them in beside my 16 they where all in perfect health within two days something was very wrong all my own yb were on the floor in a corner trying to get in the darkess part of the loft and they were sh t g green slimey water i did not know what to do or what was wrong they had all the simptoms of what we call ybs all i could think of was give them oramycine antibiotic as was told no cure for ybs the 3rd and 4th days all the louella birds were sick but not the sameway as mine dropings a bit loose and not much apetite and retaining food in crop day five mines are still the same but 2 of the new birds were dead on floor and the rest looked really bad i phoned my vet let him see one of each he told me to keep up the atbotcsand gave me more i spent a fortune on diff meds but nothing worked i knew then vet did not have a clue day 6 and 3 more louella birds dead i stoped the med and fed small stuff lots of wheat and just glucose in water as min seemed to be dehydrated i phoned keith at louella as all i could think of the louella birds had ybs and gave it to mine keith said it maybe diff bactrea in the loft has caused it and told me all rings i sent back would be replaced as it had not even been aweek on day 7 4 more louella birds dead i killed the rest and sent the rings back as i knew they would die also mines were eating a little better someone told me about natural yogurt i put that on the feed to try i posted the 12 rings on sat keith got them monday sent me another 12 tues got them wed morn i checked them over and as mine had came on a ton put the new birds inthe loft but in beside the old birds which had been flying well picking up good pools and prizes out to 280 miles with only 10 natural racers 3 days later it starts again to of the new yb dead on the floor it was only a 16 ft loft in 3 sections my old birds looked ok but i had a bad toss that day one missing 4 late bop i thought the rest of the new yb had plenty body but just did not look wright moved my old birds into the 1st section now i have my yb in one sect new yb in one sect and my old birds in a sect but the section walls are just spars separating each section next day 4 more louella yb dead what the f ks going on i phone keith and tell him 6 dead allready he suggests giving the remaining louella birds the antibiotics and asks me if i use deep litter yes i said must be the diff bacteria he thinks give them the med and let me know how it goes by the 7th day of getting them only three survived and i knew they were not going to last there body was ok but they were loose and there feet were very cold they had something but i did not know what next day there were dead to i phoned keith he was baffeld also but said he would speak to the boss for me to my surprize he tel and told me to send the rings back as it had only been a matter of days before they got sick they were going to replace them again which i thought was fantastic for any stud to do as the birds were all healthy when i got them my old birds were one hour behind the winner that week but it was a bad race and only had 5 away droped 2 thesewere birds that had been round the world and back but the bops were getting a real problem i thought my own yb were coming on fine now all most 100 per cent with just natural yogurt and some glucose i gutted the loft washed it all down with jeyes fluid and new litter ready for the new batch of yb coming as thats all i could think of keith phones i will send your yb out tomorow all will be healthy and vacinated as i put them i the box as before it hit me like a tonne of bricks my yb were not jagged for pmv yet i told him not to jag them as i had not done mine yet its ok its a dead vacine he says should not matter it cant give them pmv dont jag them anyway i said i will do them all togethere i then went and read the leaflet in my pmv vacine from top to bottom vacinated birds must be isolated for 14 days this is what was happening in my loft what is comeing out the vacinated birds dropings is not paramixo as you would think its adenovirus young bird sicknessas wee call it the jag birds pass out adenovirus which gave my unvacinated birds ybs my birds then give the vacinated birds adenovirus and they had no resistence to fight it be cause ther imune system was already fighting the pmv vacine all my own yb came through it all the jaged birds died all other birds that came to my loft unvacinated were fine this made me aware there was a problem and did not let any birds near my loft or near any of my birds untill the 14 day vacination pereod is up this was lesson no one jagged yb give un jagged yb adenovirus and after speaking to an expert about it who make the vacine told me your not even suppose to let vacinated birds out for 14 clear days when infection is passing though the birds body into the dropings and spreading every where about your loft baskets and garden and now i need a break before telling you are getting adenovirus in the race baskets and how to prevent it at your own loft thats if people are interested if not ill not waste my or your time im not trying to be a smart ass here but i know for a fact im on to somthing that could help us all tea time f k

ok andy 1st of all let me say im no writer and i have nothin to gain by saying what i have found other than my birds will be less likely to catch anything from any other birds if we all do the same to help our selves and our sport this is going to take a while to go through step by step and i am not to cleaver on computer but for andy and those who are interested here goes 15 years ago i bought 12 yb from louella i did not know michael and john massarella then as i do now but was on good tearms with there manager keith whom i found to be a real nice helpful guy keithcalled to say birds were on there way i allready had 16 of my own in the section only taken away the week be fore i had taken the new birds out the box checking them as i put them in beside my 16 they where all in perfect health within two days something was very wrong all my own yb were on the floor in a corner trying to get in the darkess part of the loft and they were sh t g green slimey water i did not know what to do or what was wrong they had all the simptoms of what we call ybs all i could think of was give them oramycine antibiotic as was told no cure for ybs the 3rd and 4th days all the louella birds were sick but not the sameway as mine dropings a bit loose and not much apetite and retaining food in crop day five mines are still the same but 2 of the new birds were dead on floor and the rest looked really bad i phoned my vet let him see one of each he told me to keep up the atbotcsand gave me more i spent a fortune on diff meds but nothing worked i knew then vet did not have a clue day 6 and 3 more louella birds dead i stoped the med and fed small stuff lots of wheat and just glucose in water as min seemed to be dehydrated i phoned keith at louella as all i could think of the louella birds had ybs and gave it to mine keith said it maybe diff bactrea in the loft has caused it and told me all rings i sent back would be replaced as it had not even been aweek on day 7 4 more louella birds dead i killed the rest and sent the rings back as i knew they would die also mines were eating a little better someone told me about natural yogurt i put that on the feed to try i posted the 12 rings on sat keith got them monday sent me another 12 tues got them wed morn i checked them over and as mine had came on a ton put the new birds inthe loft but in beside the old birds which had been flying well picking up good pools and prizes out to 280 miles with only 10 natural racers 3 days later it starts again to of the new yb dead on the floor it was only a 16 ft loft in 3 sections my old birds looked ok but i had a bad toss that day one missing 4 late bop i thought the rest of the new yb had plenty body but just did not look wright moved my old birds into the 1st section now i have my yb in one sect new yb in one sect and my old birds in a sect but the section walls are just spars separating each section next day 4 more louella yb dead what the f ks going on i phone keith and tell him 6 dead allready he suggests giving the remaining louella birds the antibiotics and asks me if i use deep litter yes i said must be the diff bacteria he thinks give them the med and let me know how it goes by the 7th day of getting them only three survived and i knew they were not going to last there body was ok but they were loose and there feet were very cold they had something but i did not know what next day there were dead to i phoned keith he was baffeld also but said he would speak to the boss for me to my surprize he tel and told me to send the rings back as it had only been a matter of days before they got sick they were going to replace them again which i thought was fantastic for any stud to do as the birds were all healthy when i got them my old birds were one hour behind the winner that week but it was a bad race and only had 5 away droped 2 thesewere birds that had been round the world and back but the bops were getting a real problem i thought my own yb were coming on fine now all most 100 per cent with just natural yogurt and some glucose i gutted the loft washed it all down with jeyes fluid and new litter ready for the new batch of yb coming as thats all i could think of keith phones i will send your yb out tomorow all will be healthy and vacinated as i put them i the box as before it hit me like a tonne of bricks my yb were not jagged for pmv yet i told him not to jag them as i had not done mine yet its ok its a dead vacine he says should not matter it cant give them pmv dont jag them anyway i said i will do them all togethere i then went and read the leaflet in my pmv vacine from top to bottom vacinated birds must be isolated for 14 days this is what was happening in my loft what is comeing out the vacinated birds dropings is not paramixo as you would think its adenovirus young bird sicknessas wee call it the jag birds pass out adenovirus which gave my unvacinated birds ybs my birds then give the vacinated birds adenovirus and they had no resistence to fight it be cause ther imune system was already fighting the pmv vacine all my own yb came through it all the jaged birds died all other birds that came to my loft unvacinated were fine this made me aware there was a problem and did not let any birds near my loft or near any of my birds untill the 14 day vacination pereod is up this was lesson no one jagged yb give un jagged yb adenovirus and after speaking to an expert about it who make the vacine told me your not even suppose to let vacinated birds out for 14 clear days when infection is passing though the birds body into the dropings and spreading every where about your loft baskets and garden and now i need a break before telling you are getting adenovirus in the race baskets and how to prevent it at your own loft thats if people are interested if not ill not waste my or your time im not trying to be a smart ass here but i know for a fact im on to somthing that could help us all tea time f k

good read wattie you will now be looking for a cure for a sore finger now :emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0140-rofl:

thanks for the information Walter ,i am always happy to learn a lesson .especially one that may have taken me years to find out for myself.i appreciate the answer and the time its taken you to punch it out . :emoticon-0137-clapping::emoticon-0137-clapping:

ok lads my good lady has gone to to bed with old bird sickness from both ends and im staying well out her road lol lets get on with part two so now i know that birds jagged with pmv vacine if come into contact within 14 days of jag will give any unvacinated yb adenovirus which will spread to the vacinated birds so like most i jagged them as they came out the nest and raced very well thefew old birds i had left were put to stock in a small loft at my dads house i have allways been able to fly a good yb winning plenty yb ave club and fed and had the best yb ave in fed one year all sections with onehundred and twenty eight thousand birds competing racing 16 yb only so i had sorted the ybs problem my yb were fed on a winter mix that had barley in it a wee bit seed and a teaspoon of thin household bleach in a gallon of water and left for a half hour before going in the drinkers three 30 mile tosses a week and they were going like a train every body yb were getting sick but not mine so the jag was sorting the pmixo and i now think the bleach was keeping the rest at bay i used the bleach because because i worked long hours and not every shop sold milton and a vet in the bhw said thin bleach did the same job and i could it anywhere i then moved to my present ad bought a brand new 24 foot by eight and filled the loft with louella jan aardens again all yb were jagged as they came out the nest all was well untill i jagged the last twenty yb and put them in with earlyer batch this would be about may old bird racing was well under way but this batch of yb were not right it was like they had very mild ybs or adeno and i was finding it was getting harder to get my old birds to fly all the birds seemed to have no buzz about them but my wee ones were worse how could it be they were all jagged it was an 80 dose bottle of nobivac the bottle was opened mid jan then kept in fridge i had done everything right i thought meanwhile i was loseing birds training and racing but so was everyone else i sent 20 yearlings to newark won the race but did not get my 2nd bird for over an hour and droped 9 birds i took 2 of the wee ones to a diff vet who seemed to know what he was doing but he kept going to look at a book then back to the birds he then said i think its adenovirus no way i said there all jagged he then asked me how i did this and i told him i jagged a batch at a time as they came out the nest thats a very expensive way to do it he said must cost you a fortune on vacine no one bottle i said i had it with me and showed it to him when did you open this mid january i said the n i keep it in fridge thats your problem he said once you open the bottle you must use it all because as soon as air gets in it detereates very quickly who said you could do it this way i dont know lots of fanciers jag this way its easyer i said its not the way to do it you must jag them alltogeather or some or most of your birds will not be protected i was shocked i told him i did it like this for 2 years and had no problem he said i had been lucky when i got home and checked my book i had jagged six the week before so if the vet was right and the wee ones were not covered by the vaccine they got the adenovirus from the dropings of the six i put threw as it was not 14 days it was the louella problem all over again by now i had read up on adenovirus and found there is no cure all you can do is treat for secondery infection some came through it treating for canker cocci and an anty fungal antibiotics make it worse because they get a thush infection aswell so i put yogurt in to i was hearing guys were having problems all over and heavy losses everywhere if this vet was right we were doing the wrong thing by jagging them coming out the nest i called him and asked it he was sure about the vaccine being open he told me again all vaccine has a very short shelf life when opened dont take the chance jag them all together they will have some imunity from the pairents as long as they have been jagged within the year last part tomorow old birds

mik here is a wee bit of info that backs up what im taking im reading this from the the leaflet inside my box of nobilis vaccine im not reading all of it just the bits that im on about it says shown to reduce virus excretion after onset of immunity 4 weeks after vaccination so there passing this out for four weeks allso use immediately after opening the container so the guys that use nobilis are wasting there time puting it in the fridge they are not protecting there birds i need a lie down after this ma backs breaking

Walter, al i can say my eyes where opened tonite. i had YBS 2004 and 2012 and i couldnt understand why untill 2nite.

last year i brought in 12 young 6 came first that where vaccinated and the other 6 werent. none of mine were vaccinated and what broke out was a nightmare. I tried to let it run its course giving glucose and bi-carbonate soda to no avail. i disposed 18 that were about to die within a 7 day period, then i went to vet.

the secondarys where bacterial and candida(thrush..with no meds?). my OBs took a down turn and i was losing pigeons i shouldnt have( birds that fleww the channel i lost inland?).

2004 was differen, but birds responded better to glucose and bi-carb and went on to do well. But in jan 2005 i thought my birds wernt right so i sent of samples and it came back Candida and treated accordingly. OBs done nothing that year but young did well.

All this for starting in 2003....keeping them healthy i now know is paramount rather than relying on natural immunity. I only have used antibiotics twice in 10 years, but this year im trying a few natural products to try and keep them tip top.

Thanks for your insight tonite

atb

Mick

Walter, al i can say my eyes where opened tonite. i had YBS 2004 and 2012 and i couldnt understand why untill 2nite.

last year i brought in 12 young 6 came first that where vaccinated and the other 6 werent. none of mine were vaccinated and what broke out was a nightmare. I tried to let it run its course giving glucose and bi-carbonate soda to no avail. i disposed 18 that were about to die within a 7 day period, then i went to vet.

the secondarys where bacterial and candida(thrush..with no meds?). my OBs took a down turn and i was losing pigeons i shouldnt have( birds that fleww the channel i lost inland?).

2004 was differen, but birds responded better to glucose and bi-carb and went on to do well. But in jan 2005 i thought my birds wernt right so i sent of samples and it came back Candida and treated accordingly. OBs done nothing that year but young did well.

All this for starting in 2003....keeping them healthy i now know is paramount rather than relying on natural immunity. I only have used antibiotics twice in 10 years, but this year im trying a few natural products to try and keep them tip top.

Thanks for your insight tonite your wellcome m8 good to know someone got something out of it thanks nice to know i did not waste my time pal

atb

Mick

well done again thank you :emoticon-0137-clapping: where I get mine from told me if you leave the needle in and cover it you can use for up to a week or so from when its opened

yes i thought the same buster but its not true its the leaflet you get with the vaccine that counts as thats from the lab and they say use when opened so this blows away the jagging birds coming out the nest idea unless your full yb team come out the same day so everyone who jags this way needs to read the lab leaflet and have a rethink i had to as thats how i did it to m8 and thankyou im glad it opened your eyes its opened mine i will get to the 3 rd and final part later i hope take care

Just received my Colombovac this morning and it clearly states, use entire contents of vial once opened.

do you see the problem harry i dont know of any pmv vaccine that tells you youcan use then reseal and use days or weeks later and even months in my case i dont know who came up with this idea but i think it stemed from the nobivac bottle that had a we screw on cap so guys just took it you could reseal it but i now know that was to protect the user from spillage the full bottle is to be used as soon as its opened maybe there is one but i dont know of any maybe someone who jags this way can tell us m8 as i see a very wide spread problem hear with birds not being protected

do you see the problem harry i dont know of any pmv vaccine that tells you youcan use then reseal and use days or weeks later and even months in my case i dont know who came up with this idea but i think it stemed from the nobivac bottle that had a we screw on cap so guys just took it you could reseal it but i now know that was to protect the user from spillage the full bottle is to be used as soon as its opened maybe there is one but i dont know of any maybe someone who jags this way can tell us m8 as i see a very wide spread problem hear with birds not being protected

Makes it very hard for One Loft Races that take in birds that have been Vaccinated at all different times they would have to take all the birds in not Vaccinated and do them altogether when all the entrants are in,it would have to be done the same way at everybodys loft all birds Old and Young vaccinated on the same day and any more that you bring in after that would have to have been vaccinated at least 14days prior to that or vaccinated and kept away from your loft for 14 days.

Guest chad3646

the way i see it walter if what you say is correct if you breed two or three nests it is going to cost a bit of money each time the only solution there is to phone around fellow fanciers and use the bottle up and vice versa

the way i see it walter if what you say is correct if you breed two or three nests it is going to cost a bit of money each time the only solution there is to phone around fellow fanciers and use the bottle up and vice versa

yes chad that would do or wait till you have your yb team then jag m8 which i will come to later on when i have a bit more time what do you think of what i have said till now

Fantastic post from mrBoswell, its answered a lot of questions as i along with my partner suffered the same probs with Massarella 4/5 yr ago.We ended up disposing of at least 2 thirds of our y/b team and Massarella took no responsibility what ever stating that because my pertner said he was happy with the birds when they arrived the were know longer the studs responsibility.

One thing I do is make sure I jag all youngsters at once so doing this coming out the nest is impossible for me. So once I have my full team moved then I will jag the lot

now i know what i know thats the way we should all be doing it m8 when the vaccine 1st came out thats the way it was done everyone in your club was jagged at more or less the same time every year

Fantastic post from mrBoswell, its answered a lot of questions as i along with my partner suffered the same probs with Massarella 4/5 yr ago.We ended up disposing of at least 2 thirds of our y/b team and Massarella took no responsibility what ever stating that because my pertner said he was happy with the birds when they arrived the were know longer the studs responsibility.

thanks fid i was just lucky getting mine replaced and have to admit at the end of the day it was not studs fault i was not jagged and at that time no one knew vaccinated birds gave unvaccinated birds a problem m8

i jag my old birds after ther last old bird race and do my young birds the same day as i have only just paired up they are about 10 weeks old by then

and all birds old and young are done at same time every year , have not had any issues with vaccinating like walter described but as say do all once a year :emoticon-0167-beer:

Guest chad3646

yes chad that would do or wait till you have your yb team then jag m8 which i will come to later on when i have a bit more time what do you think of what i have said till now

bang on walter but is it our own stupid fault, through the years there must have been hundres of quality young birds lost or is it the vets fault for not giving us the right information

Guest chad3646

now i know what i know thats the way we should all be doing it m8 when the vaccine 1st came out thats the way it was done everyone in your club was jagged at more or less the same time every year

that is right walter but if you had some left you would put it in the fridge, a weak goes buy you meet a fellow fancier he say,s walter any vaccine left enough said

bang on walter but is it our own stupid fault, through the years there must have been hundres of quality young birds lost or is it the vets fault for not giving us the right information

thanks chad now were getting to the nitty gritty m8 i think its the labs selling the stuff for not making it very clear that the vaccine is no good after it has been opened for 24or 48 hours or what ever but there get out of jail card is on the leaflet the contents must be used when opened so its our own stupidity trying to save a few bob and make it easyer on our selves were all to blame m8

i jag my old birds after ther last old bird race and do my young birds the same day as i have only just paired up they are about 10 weeks old by then

and all birds old and young are done at same time every year , have not had any issues with vaccinating like walter described but as say do all once a year :emoticon-0167-beer:

i only do it at this time as i can count all the birds in loft at the time and get enough vaccine to do the lot at once , if i done it in 2 lots i would prob loose the first bottle of vaccine anyway :emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0140-rofl: