Pigeon Health Questions For Walter

andy Burgess

i jag my old birds after ther last old bird race and do my young birds the same day as i have only just paired up they are about 10 weeks old by then

and all birds old and young are done at same time every year , have not had any issues with vaccinating like walter described but as say do all once a year :emoticon-0167-beer:

and thats why you dont have any problems stb thats the way to solve it m8

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and thats why you dont have any problems stb thats the way to solve it m8

its just me being miserable walter and only buying one bottle m8 as at end of old bird season theres no as many old birds left either m8 and any yb thats no shaped up are gone by then too plus its easier to remember when there due for jagging asweel

that is right walter but if you had some left you would put it in the fridge, a weak goes buy you meet a fellow fancier he say,s walter any vaccine left enough said

dont know if thats right chad the bottles open who says whats left after a week is still a potent vaccine the labs are saying use when opened not and the rest will still be ok next week and thats part of the problem we just assume its ok m8

crackin read walter realy opend my eyes as i usualy jag in two goes i will be doing them all together this year about a month before young bird season starts that way they should be ok before they start training which for me is usualy 2 weeks before first race do you think that will be ok

its just me being miserable walter and only buying one bottle m8 as at end of old bird season theres no as many old birds left either m8 and any yb thats no shaped up are gone by then too plus its easier to remember when there due for jagging asweel

yes but it works m8 thats the point jagging at different times is keeping the virus running through the loft training vans and race baskets and we need to stop it so we all have that 2 or 3 weeks where no ones birds are passing the virus so if we all jagg our birds say 3 weeks at least before racing or after with old birds we can stop this

crackin read walter realy opend my eyes as i usualy jag in two goes i will be doing them all together this year about a month before young bird season starts that way they should be ok before they start training which for me is usualy 2 weeks before first race do you think that will be ok

yes higg but just make sure your old birds are finnished racing or there abouts or you will knock the old birds back ive a wee job to do and will explain this after i get fed waterd m8

Guest chad3646

My vet told me that you actually have to vaccinate twice for PMV.Once with a live vaccine and then a few weeks later with a dead vaccine, or twice with a dead vaccine.This is the only real way to avoid pmv.Another thing she said, a dead vaccine can be used again as long as its a different needle taking out the solution and its kept in the fridge after use.She put a time scale of 6 months on this to be sure but says it has lasted up to a year WITH TESTS.But this is interesting Wattie, and it does make sense re YBS.We would all have to vaccinate at the same time, keeping the birds in for a week so they arent mixing with others.

just read your first post again and realising jagging 1 month before young bird racing i would be running the risk of adenovirus in the old birds is that correct

My vet told me that you actually have to vaccinate twice for PMV.Once with a live vaccine and then a few weeks later with a dead vaccine, or twice with a dead vaccine.This is the only real way to avoid pmv.Another thing she said, a dead vaccine can be used again as long as its a different needle taking out the solution and its kept in the fridge after use.She put a time scale of 6 months on this to be sure but says it has lasted up to a year WITH TESTS.But this is interesting Wattie, and it does make sense re YBS.We would all have to vaccinate at the same time, keeping the birds in for a week so they arent mixing with others.

del thats what i used to think m8 when i saw your post ive just phoned the people that make the vaccine and made out my vet told me its ok to use and put back in the fridge he said the vet was talking rubbish when opened it must be used in hours and the rest disgarded that was from the lab at meditech i have the phone no here for anyone that needs proof so what chance do we have if the vets dont know m8

del thats what i used to think m8 when i saw your post ive just phoned the people that make the vaccine and made out my vet told me its ok to use and put back in the fridge he said the vet was talking rubbish when opened it must be used in hours and the rest disgarded that was from the lab at meditech i have the phone no here for anyone that needs proof so what chance do we have if the vets dont know m8

I use an avian vet in England Wattie, she knows her stuff. In fact, I would say she is one of the best in Europe.When I asked her she said it was only live vaccines that had to be used within 2-4 hours of opening.The dead vaccine bottle can be used continually if kept in the fridge and different needle used to vaccinate / extract solution from bottle.This vaccination has a self sealing top for this reason.Im only reporting on what she says m8, maybe Meditech is right and she is wrong but only one of them is making money out it :emoticon-0138-thinking:

What a marvelous read Walter and am sure is appreciated by all who have read so far however their is always another side to the coin regarding vaccination.

My own experience has enabled my flock to go through life without contracting YBS or any other disease except on a couple of occasions which I will not delve into on this post.

The Vaccine ; I stick the needle into the bottle, attach the injector and draw up the quantity of vaccine required for 4 birds, remove the injector from the needle left in the bottle of vaccine and attach new needle, Vaccinate 4 pigeons, remove needle from empty injector and fit onto needle attached into vaccine and withdraw enough for 4 again, repeat untill all birds are vaccinated. Withdraw needle from bottle and put in fridge till next time.

I will do my Young Birds on leaving the nest at about 25 days taking 3 rounds with all going through the same procedure over a couple of months from the same bottle of vaccine.

My old birds are vaccinated after the last old bird race, usually from the same bottle of vaccine opened 4 months previously and if we look closely I have in all probability been doing what you reccommend with the exception of not disposing of left over vaccine.

Veterinary surgeon reccommended this practise of vaccine usage.

What a marvelous read Walter and am sure is appreciated by all who have read so far however their is always another side to the coin regarding vaccination.

My own experience has enabled my flock to go through life without contracting YBS or any other disease except on a couple of occasions which I will not delve into on this post.

The Vaccine ; I stick the needle into the bottle, attach the injector and draw up the quantity of vaccine required for 4 birds, remove the injector from the needle left in the bottle of vaccine and attach new needle, Vaccinate 4 pigeons, remove needle from empty injector and fit onto needle attached into vaccine and withdraw enough for 4 again, repeat untill all birds are vaccinated. Withdraw needle from bottle and put in fridge till next time.

I will do my Young Birds on leaving the nest at about 25 days taking 3 rounds with all going through the same procedure over a couple of months from the same bottle of vaccine.

My old birds are vaccinated after the last old bird race, usually from the same bottle of vaccine opened 4 months previously and if we look closely I have in all probability been doing what you reccommend with the exception of not disposing of left over vaccine.

I do same with needles but have 2 bottles one for yb and one ob .

Guest chad3646

you

you say your own experience your flock has went through life without contracting ybs

then you sayexcept on a couple of occasions make your mind up

you then sayyou probably do what walters doing except you dont through out the vaccine walter recommends that you through out the bottle not put it back in the fridge

right lads lets just recap on what ive found till now one vaccinated birds give unvaccinated birds ybs or adenovirus what ever you like to call it if they come into contact with each other or there dropings now the problem is not the pmv jag its what comes out our pigeons bodies after theve been jagged for at least 14 days its toxic stuff keep them in or you take the chance of you old birds picking it up two those of us who jagged birds coming out the nest only the birds jagged the day you open the bottle are garnteed to be protected so we are sticking a needle in the birds for nothing as it states on the leaflet use when opened and lab at medetech has just confirimed to me itshould be used with in hours not days fact so lots of birds out there could be lost because they were not protected from pmv ok next how i found out when you vaccinate you yb it affects your old birds after i found i was still getting some ybs with birds that had been in and strait from the nest i waited till i had my yb team then jagged them all my self and billy 99 on here are great pals and we dicuss pigeon problems every other night he was out the game for a few years and when he started up again he could not believe the losses that guys were having because like me he think no matter how bad the race is the birds should get home bar the one or two that get hawked or wired because there homing pigeons at the end of the day i told there was a lot of sickness about ybs was rife but this old birds that were not getting home billy said well they must be sick to but with what ithought i told him about good birds birds missing from tosses short races that looked ok i knew something was wrong but did not think mines could besick as he had me treating for everthing and my birds were all jagged i train up some late breds for early racing and they do very well the first 3 or 4 races i have did this with good sucess for the last 3 years winning afew early races on the way billy said to me you allways do well in the early races allways in the shake up then you drop off the pace for 2 or 3 weeks then come back i had allways put this down to bad races and my lb droping off threw early training then my yrl coming into a bit of form as i pair them 3 weeks apart i right everything down i do about the loft so started to look at my books to see if i could put my finger on enything as it had happend 3 years on trot first 3 or 4 races 2 or 3 birds in the first 6 then 8 th ioth 12th and lost birds training and racing birds coming home as if they had flown the national wings down and one or two nearly missed the landing board they looked knackerd from 150 miles then i noticed in my book i had jagged my yb at the same time week between the 3rd and 4th old bird races and had done the same thing the day before this time i watched the old birds within two or three days of jaging my yb the shine went off the old birds the first thing i noticed was no noise they went very quite there was no husle busle no fighting no claping up into boxes and they did not want fly two times round the loft and down and just sat about they handled ok but i knew they were just not right i picked a few out to go to the race you could not see anything was wrong feathers not as tight maybe thats all i could see really when i got to the the club again it struck me how there was 500 pigeons in baskets and hardly a sound as i looked in some of the club baskets there were birds all hunched up what ever it was the club had it to it was a bad race for lots of us plenty missing i was iith and a 3rd missing it had to be somthing to do with jagging the yb but my old birds were jagged in feb on the monday i phoned the place i got my vaccine from and asked to speak to someone from the lab the girl said doctor so and so was in the office at that moment i could speak to him the guy came on the phone i told him that every time i jag my yb my old birds are not right are the yb isolated he said well there in a section of the loft for yb and they are out on there own out where he said flying about the loft says i thats your problem he told me you have to keep them in or the dropings will infect other birds what with i ask lets call it mild parra mixo i told him all my other had been jagged allready so that mean it does not work no he said when you jag them it helps them to fight the pm virus but it does not stop it from attacking them every time the virus is around so every time i jag my yb it will attack my old birds yes if they are not isolated for 14 days and maybe even if they are it spreads very quickly and easily but your old birds will come through it ok but no work just rest them 2 or three weeks and they will be ok is there a way round this i said yes jag every bird in the loft at the same time so the virus is not present durring racing and make sure your birds dont come into contact with newly vaccinated birds or birds that have been in contact with them so last season i bred my yb team early and jagged every bird in the loft and nests on the 17th of march winning 8 firsts 20 fed prizes 16 trophys and best comave west section lanarkshire fed against 22 thousand pigeons so the proofs in the pudding

right lads lets just recap on what ive found till now one vaccinated birds give unvaccinated birds ybs or adenovirus what ever you like to call it if they come into contact with each other or there dropings now the problem is not the pmv jag its what comes out our pigeons bodies after theve been jagged for at least 14 days its toxic stuff keep them in or you take the chance of you old birds picking it up two those of us who jagged birds coming out the nest only the birds jagged the day you open the bottle are garnteed to be protected so we are sticking a needle in the birds for nothing as it states on the leaflet use when opened and lab at medetech has just confirimed to me itshould be used with in hours not days fact so lots of birds out there could be lost because they were not protected from pmv ok next how i found out when you vaccinate you yb it affects your old birds after i found i was still getting some ybs with birds that had been in and strait from the nest i waited till i had my yb team then jagged them all my self and billy 99 on here are great pals and we dicuss pigeon problems every other night he was out the game for a few years and when he started up again he could not believe the losses that guys were having because like me he think no matter how bad the race is the birds should get home bar the one or two that get hawked or wired because there homing pigeons at the end of the day i told there was a lot of sickness about ybs was rife but this old birds that were not getting home billy said well they must be sick to but with what ithought i told him about good birds birds missing from tosses short races that looked ok i knew something was wrong but did not think mines could besick as he had me treating for everthing and my birds were all jagged i train up some late breds for early racing and they do very well the first 3 or 4 races i have did this with good sucess for the last 3 years winning afew early races on the way billy said to me you allways do well in the early races allways in the shake up then you drop off the pace for 2 or 3 weeks then come back i had allways put this down to bad races and my lb droping off threw early training then my yrl coming into a bit of form as i pair them 3 weeks apart i right everything down i do about the loft so started to look at my books to see if i could put my finger on enything as it had happend 3 years on trot first 3 or 4 races 2 or 3 birds in the first 6 then 8 th ioth 12th and lost birds training and racing birds coming home as if they had flown the national wings down and one or two nearly missed the landing board they looked knackerd from 150 miles then i noticed in my book i had jagged my yb at the same time week between the 3rd and 4th old bird races and had done the same thing the day before this time i watched the old birds within two or three days of jaging my yb the shine went off the old birds the first thing i noticed was no noise they went very quite there was no husle busle no fighting no claping up into boxes and they did not want fly two times round the loft and down and just sat about they handled ok but i knew they were just not right i picked a few out to go to the race you could not see anything was wrong feathers not as tight maybe thats all i could see really when i got to the the club again it struck me how there was 500 pigeons in baskets and hardly a sound as i looked in some of the club baskets there were birds all hunched up what ever it was the club had it to it was a bad race for lots of us plenty missing i was iith and a 3rd missing it had to be somthing to do with jagging the yb but my old birds were jagged in feb on the monday i phoned the place i got my vaccine from and asked to speak to someone from the lab the girl said doctor so and so was in the office at that moment i could speak to him the guy came on the phone i told him that every time i jag my yb my old birds are not right are the yb isolated he said well there in a section of the loft for yb and they are out on there own out where he said flying about the loft says i thats your problem he told me you have to keep them in or the dropings will infect other birds what with i ask lets call it mild parra mixo i told him all my other had been jagged allready so that mean it does not work no he said when you jag them it helps them to fight the pm virus but it does not stop it from attacking them every time the virus is around so every time i jag my yb it will attack my old birds yes if they are not isolated for 14 days and maybe even if they are it spreads very quickly and easily but your old birds will come through it ok but no work just rest them 2 or three weeks and they will be ok is there a way round this i said yes jag every bird in the loft at the same time so the virus is not present durring racing and make sure your birds dont come into contact with newly vaccinated birds or birds that have been in contact with them so last season i bred my yb team early and jagged every bird in the loft and nests on the 17th of march winning 8 firsts 20 fed prizes 16 trophys and best comave west section lanarkshire fed against 22 thousand pigeons so the proofs in the pudding

now you have brought it to my attention wattie i will now look into this more when folk say they have yb sickness , would be interesting to see how they vaccinated aswell . :emoticon-0167-beer:

Guest chad3646

great read walter