Nest Bowls

Guest TAMMY_1

Guest TAMMY_1

When you are pairing your birds when do you put the nest bowls in with the birds,Liz and I differ greatly on this ,she says and puts the nest bowls in when the birds go in the box,I say waiting a few days as they just mess them up if in straight away,I paired some birds up on Monday and just put the bowls in Today [Friday]and almost straight away most of the cocks went straight on to the nest bowls,what is your idea involving the nest bowls ?

i put the bowls in after 5 days of them running together . like you ,after cleaning the bowls ,i dont want them soiled again before they are ready to go to nest.i go for 5 days , because ive had and do have hens that have or do lay after 5 days (althought the majority take longer) :animatedpigeons:

Guest TAMMY_1

I always put the bowls in on the fifth day after pairing,it seems to liven the pair up again but know a lot who have it in from day one,don't know if it makes much difference.

the only differences I find is they do not get soiled if you keep them out for a few days,like the 5 I said which seems to be common just now,but I have also found after waiting the 5 days the cocks are very keen to get on the nest bowl

just been to the loft to let different pairs out and either the cocks or the pair are all in a nest bowl

Guest TAMMY_1

i like to put the nestbowl in after two days when they have settled down and also put in tabbacca cut to six inch lenghts and they start to build a nest straight away :001:

is it golden virginia or old holburn? :emoticon-0140-rofl:

The bowls are in from day but upside down, to give the hen somewhere to stand out of the way if you have aggressive cock. They are then monitored Untill things are calmed and the cocks just call, the bowls are then turned over and they go to the bowls. Plenty of saw dust is put in the boxes and bowls to prevent mess. Day 5-6 nest felts are placed, and the birds are offered 100% pine needles

Put the next bowls with the nest felts in around 5-6 days, because if you put them in right away, the cock makes a hole in the middle owe them, then you have to replace the nest felt, then they are given tobbaco stalks to get on with it, :emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0140-rofl::animatedpigeons:

Tobbaco stalks are cut in half.

Guest Dorset-lad

I always think of the doos like humans and give the bowl to the hen from day 1

As when i was younger and took a new bird hame she defo didnae wait 5 days tae see the bed

Simples :lol: :lol:

:o:emoticon-0127-lipssealed::lol:

Guest geordiejen

interesting!ive never thought about holding back the nestpans.i put them in straight away.when i put the boxes and nestpans in at the end of january i sat in the loft for hours.you find out a lot about the birds when you watch them.i had to remove a pair as a cock bird would not let any other bird have a nestbox or go feed or drink.i removed this pair and put them i a large nestbox by themselves.