Training Young Birds

Guest andyweatherspoon

Guest andyweatherspoon

Hi all, hope your all ok. I know it is possible to train the youngins to go into the baskets for training spins but was wondering if anyone on basics does it and also how they go about it?. Do you need to any special additions to the loft and does it work all season??? One of the reasons I ask apart from not knowing how to do is I am constructing new lofts from scatch in a new garden and only want to do things once. I really want to do my homework with these ones as I'm sure you will agree its no fun banging nails in when you can be enjoying these amazing birds instead. Any advice appreciated.

i know of 2 ways 1 is to have basket outside so as it goes over the hole yb,s use to get out loft.the other is by feeding birds in old baskets in loft from a very young age. so yb,s learn to go in to basket soon as it is put on loft floor.

My grandfather use to be able to do it with young birds he had a opening in the hut that had a ledge at the other side he would place a large basket there with the flap coming inside the hut He would go in to the young bird end with a small cain and gently easy them in to the basket saving him all the hassle of chasing the young birds around the loft

My grandfather use to be able to do it with young birds he had a opening in the hut that had a ledge at the other side he would place a large basket there with the flap coming inside the hut He would go in to the young bird end with a small cain and gently easy them in to the basket saving him all the hassle of chasing the young birds around the loft

this is the way i do it today put basket against the hole flap inside put tipbit in basket allso hang drinkers on with seed in to get them used to it 2 or 3 times then start chasing them into it then shut flap after 2 or 3 times they know what to do i basket 40 yb in less than a minute put basket on even if not going training with drinkers on so they learn to eat and drink in basket

Guest chad3646

this is the way i do it today put basket against the hole flap inside put tipbit in basket allso hang drinkers on with seed in to get them used to it 2 or 3 times then start chasing them into it then shut flap after 2 or 3 times they know what to do i basket 40 yb in less than a minute put basket on even if not going training with drinkers on so they learn to eat and drink in basket

fair enough walter it is a very quick way of doing but asyou are hunting them in say for a training toss you do not know if a bird is carrying an injury ,or is light so you could be just throwing them away

My policy is that I never catch my pigeons inside the loft. So if I want to treat them or examine them I run them into a crate which is fixed to the outside of the loft and mounted in a wooden frame. I have a sliding door on the loft which is opposite the the crate and the crtae door opens into the loft. I start them off by scattering a small amont of seed into the crate to get them used to going in there. I then remove the drinkers from the loft so that they are forced to drink from the blue drinkers fixed to the crate. When i want to basket the birds i push them into the crate with a brush or a long handled scrapper. They soon get used to it.

fair enough walter it is a very quick way of doing but asyou are hunting them in say for a training toss you do not know if a bird is carrying an injury ,or is light so you could be just throwing them away

i normally spot any problems like that before basketing chad but could have missed an odd one swings and roundabouts

Guest andyweatherspoon

Seen Jim Cullen basket about 60 young birds in 2-3 minutes with a wee flap in each section after the first 2 or 3 times the doos know the drill

Geordie are the flaps in the bottom of the corridor sections?