Scottish Fanciers Self Destructing

Not so many years ago Federations transported their members birds only doubling up with the Fed next door for the last inland race where they were all basicaly racing into the same area. Combines emerged with local Feds to ensure all birds were racing into a small area and all the fanciers were reasonably happy with returns. So what changed to destroy what was successfull ??.

A certain few fanciers wanted to be big cheeses and attempted to destroy the proven successfull ways by encouraging the SNFC to offer inland races which they would offer to convoy Federations cheaper than the past.

Federation members being Scottish could see that they were going to have cheaper racing without looking to the future and jumped aboard creating a false SNFC membership but hey ho who cares when cheaper birdage is offered.

So instead of our yearlings and two year olds being schooled to race into a small area such as Combines they are subjected to being dragged over the length and breadth of Scotland AND you wonder why their is a shortage of distance birds.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

best post you put up . a nostalic view , of a dim and distant past . polotics and ego,s changed it all . ever hopefull it may one day ,,,,,, return to how it was ?? :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Andy,

I was an inaugral member of the Gwent Greater Distance Club which was affiliated to the BICC and would have made a successful model for clubs up here.

I dont believe I am being nostalgic when I say the quicker we return to what we had which was a success the better. It is never to late to return to the grass roots of racing pigeons it only requires a determination by the members. There are better ways to fly other than the old ways. It only takes common sense...

Andy,

I was an inaugral member of the Gwent Greater Distance Club which was affiliated to the BICC and would have made a successful model for clubs up here.

I dont believe I am being nostalgic when I say the quicker we return to what we had which was a success the better. It is never to late to return to the grass roots of racing pigeons it only requires a determination by the members. There are better ways to fly other than the old ways. It only takes common sense...

yes you are correct there peter and it only takes 3 years to get things up to speed with that i mean to have birds for channel races if all doos fly the same route and are libed from the same place, divide the regions into abcd one week it will be a and b together the next it could be c and d till it ends as abc and then d are all out at a distance together and for the birds that are out distance ahead of others they get released first be it 30min or a hour depending on the distance they reach there lofts at

Andy,

i still , with all honesty , believe the view to be nostalgic . i again , honestly think it will only return to "how it was" when all is lost , and the few that remain can do no else but race along one route . :animatedpigeons:

That is why we as members of the solway federation have voted at our agm that this season 2013 we will race from the south coast giving members a chance to get there yearlings to 300 plus miles without being dragged all over ,sure for the fanciers who send all there yearlings to the nationals by all means that is there choice alone but by the vote at the agm it carried well .

yes you are correct there peter and it only takes 3 years to get things up to speed with that i mean to have birds for channel races if all doos fly the same route and are libed from the same place, divide the regions into abcd one week it will be a and b together the next it could be c and d till it ends as abc and then d are all out at a distance together and for the birds that are out distance ahead of others they get released first be it 30min or a hour depending on the distance they reach there lofts at

EH ???

That is why we as members of the solway federation have voted at our agm that this season 2013 we will race from the south coast giving members a chance to get there yearlings to 300 plus miles without being dragged all over ,sure for the fanciers who send all there yearlings to the nationals by all means that is there choice alone but by the vote at the agm it carried well .

Unfortunately I am in the Midland Federation and they have determined to go down the West route being convoyed with the SNFC as soon as possible but what can you expect when the Fed President is the SNFC Secretary. What chance my birds being schooled ??.

Not so many years ago Federations transported their members birds only doubling up with the Fed next door for the last inland race where they were all basicaly racing into the same area. Combines emerged with local Feds to ensure all birds were racing into a small area and all the fanciers were reasonably happy with returns. So what changed to destroy what was successfull ??.

A certain few fanciers wanted to be big cheeses and attempted to destroy the proven successfull ways by encouraging the SNFC to offer inland races which they would offer to convoy Federations cheaper than the past.

Federation members being Scottish could see that they were going to have cheaper racing without looking to the future and jumped aboard creating a false SNFC membership but hey ho who cares when cheaper birdage is offered.

So instead of our yearlings and two year olds being schooled to race into a small area such as Combines they are subjected to being dragged over the length and breadth of Scotland AND you wonder why their is a shortage of distance birds.

agree with that Peter already put a post on the scot nat region changes saying the same thing , i think the combines were great for schooling the yearlings without them being dragged all over .

Scottish Central Combine used to have a Yearling only race from Cheltenham when we all went down the west route and it was extremely successfull followed up by a race from Sartilly which completed the race programmes for the 4 Feds all very well supported. Nobody seems to be able to tell me why they were discontinued ?.

Hope im not intruding here when i give my opinion,

I understand what you saying Peter about shipping together, but to "school" future distance birds to come to an area is wrong imo. I think they either have it or they dont and training them to home from certain areas is false. If a bird is to come from France to Scotland it has to be able to navigate, there is no drag there. Therefore the drag in inland races is only going to affect result because what cant home from being dragged around the country as ybs/yearlings is worth *expletive removed* all..Scotland is not that big of an Area when you think about it.

atb

Mick

I understand what you saying Peter about shipping together, but to "school" future distance birds to come to an area is wrong imo. I think they either have it or they dont and training them to home from certain areas is false. If a bird is to come from France to Scotland it has to be able to navigate, there is no drag there. Therefore the drag in inland races is only going to affect result because what cant home from being dragged around the country as ybs/yearlings is worth *expletive removed* all..Scotland is not that big of an Area when you think about it.

atb

Mick

can also see your point Mick . they have to have it in them to get home anyway , regardless of direction . Surely they are better if on the line of flight they lead and home to win tho ?? :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Scottish Central Combine used to have a Yearling only race from Cheltenham when we all went down the west route and it was extremely successfull followed up by a race from Sartilly which completed the race programmes for the 4 Feds all very well supported. Nobody seems to be able to tell me why they were discontinued ?.

quite simply because the folk that normally sent to them started to go to the inland nationals and birdage wained . I think the last west coast combine race only got an entry of 30 birds , end of combine no point in running it with no support . I must hold my hands up aswell as i stoped sending with the combine to send to inland nats aswell .

Thank-you for your thoughts and reply as it is always constructive to the discussed matter.

I will not attempt to rectify what to me could be an error in your thinking however if you believe that pigeons do not have to be schooled then that is your perogative. Coming from Ireland I find it strange that the home of the finest race horses which are schooled should find a pigeon fancier with a different view.

atb

Mick

dont agree with that mick , a lot of good distance birds are slow to mature and can be easily thrown away as young birds and yearlings but as 2 and 3 yrs olds can go anywhere , young birds and yearlings are like children and teenagers concentration and adaptation isnt always there . :emoticon-0167-beer: :emoticon-0167-beer:would also note that irish birds dragged over here never seem to want to return apart from in a box and the same when ours get dragged over to ireland cant think of many make it back on there own steam . :emoticon-0167-beer:

Edited by stb-

quite simply because the folk that normally sent to them started to go to the inland nationals and birdage wained . I think the last west coast combine race only got an entry of 30 birds , end of combine no point in running it with no support . I must hold my hands up aswell as i stoped sending with the combine to send to inland nats aswell .

Did you and the west coast fanciers stop sending because of finance ? or did you believe it would be better financially pool wise

Did you and the west coast fanciers stop sending because of finance ? or did you believe it would be better financially pool wise

Personally im not really one for pooling might just put a couple of pounds or the nom on one ,think the bigger birdage was more of the attraction the west coast combine was all sect f lofts but in nat the west is sect e and f plus a lot would prefer to win sect at nat than win the combine .But the combines have deffo suffered with the inlands nats.

Unfortunately I am in the Midland Federation and they have determined to go down the West route being convoyed with the SNFC as soon as possible but what can you expect when the Fed President is the SNFC Secretary. What chance my birds being schooled ??.

join the clarkson club, or glenmavis, or the coatbridge club and fly the east route

Thank-you for your thoughts and reply as it is always constructive to the discussed matter.

I will not attempt to rectify what to me could be an error in your thinking however if you believe that pigeons do not have to be schooled then that is your perogative. Coming from Ireland I find it strange that the home of the finest race horses which are schooled should find a pigeon fancier with a different view.

Peter im only saying my thoughts, hope no offence is taken. Race horses trained here, they will race the same courses throughout there lives and have jockeys to guide them.

our pigeons need training, mostly to get them on a line and keep fit. They either have homing instinct or they dont.

just my thoughts

Mick

dont agree with that mick , a lot of good distance birds are slow to mature and can be easily thrown away as young birds and yearlings but as 2 and 3 yrs olds can go anywhere , young birds and yearlings are like children and teenagers concentration and adaptation isnt always there . :emoticon-0167-beer: :emoticon-0167-beer:would also note that irish birds dragged over here never seem to want to return apart from in a box and the same when ours get dragged over to ireland cant think of many make it back on there own steam . :emoticon-0167-beer:

Rab i agree to an extent, lots of good doos maybe lost at a young age. But its the ones that dont give up, heart and love for home i think we need.

ok maturity may give that, but thats up to the individual fancier to decide what he wants. I have patience, more than some, but if a yb/yearling doesnt home by itself i have an X against it. Some will turn out good but majority will be crap when going gets tough.

Ive had only about 6 Scottish strays in since i started in 2003 and evry one left on their own.

Mick