Schalie Colour Genetics?

Wiley

Is there any genetics for the Schalie or Slateys as there sometimes called? Reason for asking is my loft never had any Slateys however they keep appearing in a certain line of my pigeons, and turn out to be good performers. Is it Genetics or a throwback to a pigeon in there ancestry going back to 1980s?

Is there any genetics for the Schalie or Slateys as there sometimes called? Reason for asking is my loft never had any Slateys however they keep appearing in a certain line of my pigeons, and turn out to be good performers. Is it Genetics or a throwback to a pigeon in there ancestry going back to 1980s?

Hi Ryan, I think Oldyellow is yer man to answer thishttp://forum.pigeonbasics.org/public/style_emoticons/default/emoticon-0138-thinking.gif

only slateys I ever bred were from my Janssens

ive got a few slate birds all out of my janssen lines

also got a gift of 2 nestmates last year 1 is a slate and janssen again

not been tested fully yet so will see how they perform

BHW's John Harwood often talks of his Schalies but I don't think I've ever seen the bird or even a photo of one. I have a book on colour genetics but neither Schallie or Slatey are terms used in it. Nearest is Smokey, which I have seen, if that's an alternative name for them then it is recessive; unfortunately there's also a Sooty and Dirty, also recessive, which to my untrained eye (colour blind, or jist blind if ye like) looks much the same. But everything at the end of the day comes down to what genes the bird carries.

What colour would you lads call this cock ?

this bird is a opal , basically a red with indigo , most indigo birds have a purple hue as does shaille or slatey ;)

this bird is a opal , basically a red with indigo , most indigo birds have a purple hue as does shaille or slatey ;)

What colour would you expect to breed from him,his hen is a black pied,not a catch question as I have just got them in for this season.only have one late bred off them and it's a sooty blue cock.

Hope to take at least three nests off them.

What colour would you lads call this cock ?

to me lindsay that bird is a slate

which in mine when moulted can remain slate or turn into dark checkers or checkers

the ones strappers posted would be opals

had these before when a red hen and a check cock were mated together

they moulted out into checkers

What colour would you expect to breed from him,his hen is a black pied,not a catch question as I have just got them in for this season.only have one late bred off them and it's a sooty blue cock.

Hope to take at least three nests off them.

A black is basicaly a blue with spread factor so hence your offsping been a sooty blue as the blue dominant , bronzes or kites possible with the black spread , but the spread will probably mask anything else

How would a pencil blue affect genetics?

pencil is basically paternation rather than a colouring