No Moult

Guest H@wkBait

Guest H@wkBait

I have one pigeon out off 57 that has not moulted a single feather its a young bird and was bred at the same time as the others and all the rest have moulted no problem anyone any idea what causes this? will it have any effect on the bird in 2013 flying in an old jacket? the only answer i have had is the birds not healthy but its healthy apart from no moult lol

I have one pigeon out off 57 that has not moulted a single feather its a young bird and was bred at the same time as the others and all the rest have moulted no problem anyone any idea what causes this? will it have any effect on the bird in 2013 flying in an old jacket? the only answer i have had is the birds not healthy but its healthy apart from no moult lol

i have an old Buscheart cock that always shines with health ,flew well for me when a novice ,and bred a card winner every year since going to stock .he never appears to be moulting ,always shining and bouncing ,a great character .he never looks any different wonder if this is the case with yours ?? think Dave Allen the "widowhood" man had a bird the same ? :emoticon-0138-thinking:

if your birds are moulting as they should you should just be able to see like a tide mark it starts around the nose then you see it going down the neck then on to the body you should have to look very hard to see it if you can see them moulting all ragged they are having a bad moult you dont see many wild birds with feathers missing ?? i think the better the moult the better the bird all my best birds look great all year round

Guest H@wkBait

i have an old Buscheart cock that always shines with health ,flew well for me when a novice ,and bred a card winner every year since going to stock .he never appears to be moulting ,always shining and bouncing ,a great character .he never looks any different wonder if this is the case with yours ?? think Dave Allen the "widowhood" man had a bird the same ? :emoticon-0138-thinking:

yup hes always gleaming n full off energy bit off a looker aswell he was my favourite for the shows but the wing stamps still on him lol and the birds defo not sick just wondering why hes not moulting all my other birds are through the moult now

if your birds are moulting as they should you should just be able to see like a tide mark it starts around the nose then you see it going down the neck then on to the body you should have to look very hard to see it if you can see them moulting all ragged they are having a bad moult you dont see many wild birds with feathers missing ?? i think the better the moult the better the bird all my best birds look great all year round

Removed a couple this year for that very reason mate bad moult nae gd to naebody

had a bird that moulted all year round was hard to notice was never on the darkness or anything it was some racer topped fed at least once has bred fed winners to for its new owner a new starter if thats the case dont make a harsh decision

Dead right there JAM, if people kept records they would find that the top birds always have some oddity in their make-up, I think Del and George have been hasty there

Guest H@wkBait

Removed a couple this year for that very reason mate bad moult nae gd to naebody

its not had a bad moult its not had a moult and its one the best bred birds in my loft i wouldnt dream off culling it its far from ill

Dead right there JAM, if people kept records they would find that the top birds always have some oddity in their make-up, I think Del and George have been hasty there

Not hasty at all the pigeons in my loft were struggling badly on the 4th last flight when the rest were on their last! Something underlying I don't know but they were not right

Not hasty at all the pigeons in my loft were struggling badly on the 4th last flight when the rest were on their last! Something underlying I don't know but they were not right

Do you check all your birds when moulting as I must say I don't, If they look well I leave well alone

Do you check all your birds when moulting as I must say I don't, If they look well I leave well alone

No I do not but it's not that hard to tell your doo is having a bad moult compared to the rest of the pigeons making me pick the pigeon up and have a look

Ps I was meaning the pigeons that got removed were having a bad moult everyy othe pigeon in the loft is a picture of health as some of my pictures show

The ones ive binned have never proven me wrong :lol:;) Seriously, if a bird has a dodgy makeup then its no use to anybody.You can kid yourself all you want, most birds are crap and a very small percentage ever make the grade.Im not talking about sprint/middle distance birds, im talking about the gold dust DISTANCE birds.ps. I bred a special cock last year for the stock loft, he is off International winners and the very best of Scottish distance pigeons.He has had a blood quill last year and this and now hes on the way out without breeding from him.Constitution is paramount in my loft.

Guest H@wkBait

also lads take into consideration if its a young bird how it was raced if it was on eggs young ones etc as this will effect the moult also birds stooped racing early in the year can moult earlier than a bird raced out till the end of the year

Young bird raced to perch and it was stopped racing after 110 miles but it still has all its wing stamps so hasnt moulted its a mystery i guess and i wasnt asking if i should kill the bird im capable of making they decisions mysel i was asking if anyone knew what caused it theres no chance off the bird being culled such is its breeding if t had no wings 1 eye n leg i would still keep it :)

The ones ive binned have never proven me wrong :lol:;) Seriously, if a bird has a dodgy makeup then its no use to anybody.You can kid yourself all you want, most birds are crap and a very small percentage ever make the grade.Im not talking about sprint/middle distance birds, im talking about the gold dust DISTANCE birds.ps. I bred a special cock last year for the stock loft, he is off International winners and the very best of Scottish distance pigeons.He has had a blood quill last year and this and now hes on the way out without breeding from him.Constitution is paramount in my loft.

the vet deweert has said that blood quills are sign of paratyphoid if they appear when the bird moults

Guest geordiejen

the bird moult can be a nightmare if its not managed properly.i have issues with the moult and im searching for some answers.ive bought a racing pigeon book and im going to read what it says about the moult.with your bird not moulting it could be down to more than one reason.you could find that that bird will just fall appart in the moult over the next few weeks.if its a late bred youngster then its yearly cycle could be knocked out some.as for putting a bird in the bucket for not moulting i think its a bit harsh but each to there own.

Guest H@wkBait

the bird moult can be a nightmare if its not managed properly.i have issues with the moult and im searching for some answers.ive bought a racing pigeon book and im going to read what it says about the moult.with your bird not moulting it could be down to more than one reason.you could find that that bird will just fall appart in the moult over the next few weeks.if its a late bred youngster then its yearly cycle could be knocked out some.as for putting a bird in the bucket for not moulting i think its a bit harsh but each to there own.

Not a latebred and all my other yb racers through the moult as for killing the bird theres no chance i bet the same people telling me to get rid off the bird would spend a fortune on sick birds or birds with ybs as where i dont and wont a sick birds a dead bird here the birds not sick at all i was looking for the answer as to what causes it not what i should do with the bird i know what im doing with the bird i was just curious. i look forward to your findings geordiejen

In all the years I have kept pigeons I have experienced 3 birds with Blood Quills that I know of.

1] A Blue Pied Cock in the early seventies who raced his entire career from the yearling stage onwards and won 10 club nominations from 65 miles to 400 miles in 3 years and was clocked from Beuvais 1st Fed with Usher Vaux beating the entire West Section by 2 1/2 hours.

2] A black Splashed Latebred cock was 3rd Fed Open 400 miles with a nest Blood Quill all his days, Lost at 650 miles.

3] This year Cheq Pied young bird 1st Fed 114 miles.

I am afraid I dont see it as a weakness nor any ailment however I must admit it is annoying to see and its not hereditry nor detrimental to the rest of the loft inmates.IMO

I was speaking to a fellow club member about this very subject on friday at our prize presentation and he had a pigeon many years ago that never moulted its body feathers or its last flight and was going to bin it as a yearling but sent it over the water and bang timed it in the open result ! it went on to win Gold award in the SNFC and timed it 6 times in the result. some pigeon

is there something causes it is it something iv done or not done or just the bird and he will be flying in the snfc next year il let yas know how he does :P

i had a blue pied in 2011 on the darkness which never moulted a feather , i mentioned it to a few lads as it was the first time i had noticed this . The other ybs looked like yearlings but this bl pd looked like a baby . Anyway it raced as a yb and flow to 260 last year as yearling and its been in clock a good few times . It did moult through late in the year and is now a 2yr old but dosent seem to have done it any harm .

just to add it never had blood quill or nowt just didint drop body feathers till late december :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Edited by stb-