Best Strains

blaz

in your opinion what would get you vote for the best strain of racing pigeons. if you put a post up only mention 1 strain and the distance you find that strain good at some fanciers might need to mention 2 strains .as may be crossing to strains serve their purpose it might make good reading and be helpful to some other fanciers.as a wide variety of members are on that race birds all over UK and Ireland. at sprint /middle/long distance in club fed and national level.

i would give van loons my vote as race well enough for me from 60 to 400 miles

Is there in fact a real so called "strain"? I do think there's to much things that can be easily manipulated to make a so called "strain". There's no one looking after any pairing or offspring, no dna or what so ever. Maybe I sound negative, but I had this trouble with a bought de rouw sablon. The top cock Locco was steriel and just had 2 proven offspring. He was in my peds of 2 birds I bought for 700 pounds. So, just wundering whats worth a ped or so called strain.....

Is there in fact a real so called "strain"? I do think there's to much things that can be easily manipulated to make a so called "strain". There's no one looking after any pairing or offspring, no dna or what so ever. Maybe I sound negative, but I had this trouble with a bought de rouw sablon. The top cock Locco was steriel and just had 2 proven offspring. He was in my peds of 2 birds I bought for 700 pounds. So, just wundering whats worth a ped or so called strain.....

As you say , there can never be a strain as such, just birds cobbled together from someone but some people are better than others at it, guess that's why we know them by name

probably not so many true "strains" i agree , i have a multitude of diffrent names here , but if i am honest ,if i like the pigeon and if its won ,regardless of name , i am happy :emoticon-0157-sun:

Someone has been kidding you. There are no such things as the strains which have been kept alive and kicking for years and years. If you are interested in finding good birds you should go to a current racing loft that is doing well right now and get your birds from there. The idea of advertising strains of pigeons with the names of long dead Fanciers is a device to sell pigeons. The only thing to watch when you look for a good modern loft is to make sure you buy birds suited to your type of racing. If you want sprinters it is no use buying stayers unless you want to spend time changing them to what you need them to do.

in your opinion what would get you vote for the best strain of racing pigeons. if you put a post up only mention 1 strain and the distance you find that strain good at some fanciers might need to mention 2 strains .as may be crossing to strains serve their purpose it might make good reading and be helpful to some other fanciers.as a wide variety of members are on that race birds all over UK and Ireland. at sprint /middle/long distance in club fed and national level.

theirs me thinking this would be easy to understand

Gary to me a strain would be a line of winning pigeon or pigeons your family descended from, and continue to win for yourself through generations. There are many winning strains all over the UK and Ireland purposely bred by the individual, all from top breeders from the UK and the continent.

so what im trying to say is that your van loons are a strain developed by yourself for your own requirements and have served you well. Same with anyone buying , say a busschaert,Aarden or any other for that matter. We all develope our own strain.

atb

Mick

Owen you're an old cynic, I must say I don't disagree with any of your posts I read, but I know you have worked hard to get the sprint family you have now, If I were advising a newbie/youngster starting up today I would definitely advise to go for a "strain", this starting with odd birds, donations from good hearted fanciers must be the worst possible start and the surest way to put people off staying in the sport, That way they are always starting at the beginning, with a "strain" at least you have a foot on the ladder

the famous locco sorry to hear you got done with that one there will be a lot more loccos in the near future i think

busschaerts for me the strain birds been in my family for years way before i was born my nans side family her dad grandad uncles all raced busschaerts they had theres direct from george himself all best.

Guest maricelbill

guys and dolls, firstly you should all agree what constitutes a strain. there are different strains of flu. of cabbage. so, the concept of "strain" does exist. the buzz word these days in Europe seems to be "colony". It's a great idea and we can all agree that each of us has our own colony. our own collection of misfits.

to my mind there has few few "strains" of pigeons. it's a much misused word. if i take home a pigeon from Owens loft for example, if Owen has been cultivating his pigeons for many years and all his birds have common ancestors i can rightly say that pigeon comes from Owen's family of pigeons. on the basis he has been cultivation a family, as one would cultivate orchids or roses. simply saying they are a family doesn't not make them good or useless. it's simply a description.

However, in order to considered as a "strain" of pigeons, those pigeons should be so different, so unique, that they can rightly be classified as a separate strain. In the UK I would say the pigeons of George Busschaert were so different so unique so superior to the opposition of the day that they could justifiably be classified as a strain. In Belgium however, given that so few fanciers flew them, they would not and could not be justifiably considered as such.

Given the globalized nature of the modern world such an impact, as that had by Busschaerts in the UK, is unlikely to ever occur again.