Best Strains Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   blaz 

• High Ranking
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Gold Member
  • Locationwallyford
  • Club:inveresk club midlothian fed

Posted 3 November 2012 - 23:21 PM

in your opinion what would get you vote for the best strain of racing pigeons. if you put a post up only mention 1 strain and the distance you find that strain good at some fanciers might need to mention 2 strains .as may be crossing to strains serve their purpose it might make good reading and be helpful to some other fanciers.as a wide variety of members are on that race birds all over UK and Ireland. at sprint /middle/long distance in club fed and national level.

i would give van loons my vote as race well enough for me from 60 to 400 miles
1st fed eatbourne 9th nat 1st fed ypres 18th nat1st fed marlborough 19th nat 1st fed ypres 8th nat 1st fed maidstone 16th nat 1st fed yb open newark 1st fed yb nat

#2 User is offline   gulkie 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Locationcambusnethan
  • Club:newmains

Posted 4 November 2012 - 20:10 PM

Got to be busschaurts 60 miles to 550 great all rounders

#3 User is offline   billt 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationcarmarthenshire

Posted 4 November 2012 - 20:16 PM

Busschaerts for me
Who loves Percy

#4 User is offline   Gerard 

• Chipping
  • PipPip
  • Group: question and answers
  • Club:PV Vice Versa

Posted 4 November 2012 - 20:23 PM

Is there in fact a real so called "strain"? I do think there's to much things that can be easily manipulated to make a so called "strain". There's no one looking after any pairing or offspring, no dna or what so ever. Maybe I sound negative, but I had this trouble with a bought de rouw sablon. The top cock Locco was steriel and just had 2 proven offspring. He was in my peds of 2 birds I bought for 700 pounds. So, just wundering whats worth a ped or so called strain.....

#5 User is offline   sapper756 

• High Ranking
  • LocationThe Kingdom of Fife
  • Club:Retired Doo Man

Posted 4 November 2012 - 20:50 PM

Jan Aardens 500+ miles
Posted Image

HE WHO DARES WINS.

Everybody wants change, but nobody wants to change.

#6 User is offline   billt 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 4 November 2012 - 21:02 PM

View PostGerard, on 4 November 2012 - 20:23 PM, said:

Is there in fact a real so called "strain"? I do think there's to much things that can be easily manipulated to make a so called "strain". There's no one looking after any pairing or offspring, no dna or what so ever. Maybe I sound negative, but I had this trouble with a bought de rouw sablon. The top cock Locco was steriel and just had 2 proven offspring. He was in my peds of 2 birds I bought for 700 pounds. So, just wundering whats worth a ped or so called strain.....

As you say , there can never be a strain as such, just birds cobbled together from someone but some people are better than others at it, guess that's why we know them by name
Who loves Percy

#7 User is online   andy Burgess 

• High Ranking
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationEast Lothian
  • Club:gladsmuir

Posted 4 November 2012 - 21:03 PM

probably not so many true "strains" i agree , i have a multitude of diffrent names here , but if i am honest ,if i like the pigeon and if its won ,regardless of name , i am happy :emoticon-0157-sun:
"north wales novice" no longer .

#8 User is offline   Owen 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationTalywaun, near Pontypool
  • Club:Hanbury Arms, Welsh South Road Fed

Posted 4 November 2012 - 21:28 PM

Someone has been kidding you. There are no such things as the strains which have been kept alive and kicking for years and years. If you are interested in finding good birds you should go to a current racing loft that is doing well right now and get your birds from there. The idea of advertising strains of pigeons with the names of long dead Fanciers is a device to sell pigeons. The only thing to watch when you look for a good modern loft is to make sure you buy birds suited to your type of racing. If you want sprinters it is no use buying stayers unless you want to spend time changing them to what you need them to do.

#9 User is offline   blaz 

• High Ranking
  • Locationwallyford
  • Club:inveresk club midlothian fed

Posted 4 November 2012 - 21:48 PM

View Postblaz, on 3 November 2012 - 22:21 PM, said:

in your opinion what would get you vote for the best strain of racing pigeons. if you put a post up only mention 1 strain and the distance you find that strain good at some fanciers might need to mention 2 strains .as may be crossing to strains serve their purpose it might make good reading and be helpful to some other fanciers.as a wide variety of members are on that race birds all over UK and Ireland. at sprint /middle/long distance in club fed and national level.

theirs me thinking this would be easy to understand
1st fed eatbourne 9th nat 1st fed ypres 18th nat1st fed marlborough 19th nat 1st fed ypres 8th nat 1st fed maidstone 16th nat 1st fed yb open newark 1st fed yb nat

#10 User is online   b.massey 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationMidlothian
  • Club:Rosewell

Posted 4 November 2012 - 21:58 PM

Sootjens
1st Club 9th Open Newark SU10ML3621
1st Club 5th Fed Newark SU10ML3621
1st Club 15th Fed 58th Sec B 148th Open SNFC Cheltenham SU10ML3621
1st Club 6th Fed Newark SU10ML3621

#11 User is offline   fid 

• Squeaker
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Locationalgarve
  • Club:loule

Posted 4 November 2012 - 22:57 PM

busschaerts, The old lines from first race till last. Rawle nd thomson, kirby blues. wish i still had them.lol

#12 User is offline   MIK 

• Old Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationIreland

Posted 4 November 2012 - 23:18 PM

View Postblaz, on 3 November 2012 - 23:21 PM, said:

Gary to me a strain would be a line of winning pigeon or pigeons your family descended from, and continue to win for yourself through generations. There are many winning strains all over the UK and Ireland purposely bred by the individual, all from top breeders from the UK and the continent.
so what im trying to say is that your van loons are a strain developed by yourself for your own requirements and have served you well. Same with anyone buying , say a busschaert,Aarden or any other for that matter. We all develope our own strain.

atb
Mick

#13 User is offline   billt 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 4 November 2012 - 23:52 PM

Owen you're an old cynic, I must say I don't disagree with any of your posts I read, but I know you have worked hard to get the sprint family you have now, If I were advising a newbie/youngster starting up today I would definitely advise to go for a "strain", this starting with odd birds, donations from good hearted fanciers must be the worst possible start and the surest way to put people off staying in the sport, That way they are always starting at the beginning, with a "strain" at least you have a foot on the ladder
Who loves Percy

#14 User is offline   just ask me 

• High Ranking
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin Team

Posted 5 November 2012 - 02:08 AM

the famous locco sorry to hear you got done with that one there will be a lot more loccos in the near future i think

#15 User is offline   just ask me 

• High Ranking
  • Icon

Posted 5 November 2012 - 15:52 PM

the birds from Benny Steveninck will make a decent impact i think where he breeds most of birds around his bird chipo

#16 User is offline   bakes 

• Veteran of the Loft!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationwest midlands
  • Club:church road flying club ( coventry district south road federation)

Posted 6 November 2012 - 15:57 PM

busschaerts for me the strain birds been in my family for years way before i was born my nans side family her dad grandad uncles all raced busschaerts they had theres direct from george himself all best.

#17 User is offline   john@formula 1 lofts 

• Old Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 6 November 2012 - 19:16 PM

Strain/famillys depend on what distance you want to race at IMO

Lambrechects or SVR 0 - 250 miles

Frans Zwols - 100 - 400 miles

Rutz & Son for long distance racing
please have a look at our website www.formula1lofts.com

#18 User is online   geordie1234 

• High Ranking

Posted 6 November 2012 - 20:53 PM

View Postjohn@formula 1 lofts, on 6 November 2012 - 19:16 PM, said:

Strain/famillys depend on what distance you want to race at IMO

Lambrechects or SVR 0 - 250 miles

Frans Zwols - 100 - 400 miles

Rutz & Son for long distance racing

Never heard of them John is there any articles online about this family/strain of pigeon?

#19 User is offline   just ask me 

• High Ranking
  • Icon

Posted 6 November 2012 - 20:58 PM

View Postgeordie1234, on 6 November 2012 - 20:53 PM, said:

Never heard of them John is there any articles online about this family/strain of pigeon?

german birds they race from barca

#20 User is online   geordie1234 

• High Ranking

Posted 6 November 2012 - 21:00 PM

View Postjust ask me, on 6 November 2012 - 20:58 PM, said:

german birds they race from barca

I'm on google just now trying to find some stuff, many miles fae barca to them in Germany Jam?

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

• Advert: Racing Pigeon Supplies
  • Advert: B.Leefe & Sons
  • Advert: Saltire Couriers
  • Advert: Crafty Fifer: bespoke loft equipment
  • Advert: Solway Feeders