Blue Tongue

Guest radouani

Guest radouani

Hi everybody

i don't know wot's wrong with some of my pigeons,they have a blue tongue...is this a disease?? and how to get rid of this blue colour in their tongues,please any help would be greetfull.

When tissues that are normally red turn blue, this is because there is less oxygen in these tissues. This can have several reasons. For example when the tip of the tongue of a pigeon is cold, there will be less blood circulation and the tip will appear blue. It doesn't have to mean anything. If it's associated with blue flesh it can be a problem certainly for birds that have to perform. Again it can be caused by multiple factors like inadequate nutrition/supplementing, inadequate training, dehydration (shock in extreme cases), etc...

Make sure they have access to the fresh air and sun and reduce the protein in their diet by adding barley to the mix at the rate of about 2/3 rds. Make sure you give them fresh grit and crumbled clay bolocks every day. I like to mix a little bit of vitamineral in mine to ensure that the birds have enough calcium and magnesium.

blackdog is right in what he says because it might not be anything to worry about but you need to ensure that your birds are not given too much protein and that they are not deficient in vit "D".

Guest radouani

thank you everybody for your usefull replies,,,i don't give them any grit for a long time,no vitamins,and no garlic..but the loft is sunny..and i give much barley in my mix..so i will try to give them garlic in the water,twice a week,and some fresh grit,,,and will see,,thank you

Make sure they have access to the fresh air and sun and reduce the protein in their diet by adding barley to the mix at the rate of about 2/3 rds. Make sure you give them fresh grit and crumbled clay bolocks every day. I like to mix a little bit of vitamineral in mine to ensure that the birds have enough calcium and magnesium.

blackdog is right in what he says because it might not be anything to worry about but you need to ensure that your birds are not given too much protein and that they are not deficient in vit "D".

Garbage: I feed a high protein diet and never experienced blue tongue in any of my birds