The Little Magic We Try To Capture

OLDYELLOW

The art of breeding , a good start is winners , in this game nothing is guaranteed the price of a pigeon is only ever determined by how much you are willing to pay for it . Market is a simple supply and demand system . Two champions seem to be the ideal to give the best progeny . However due to genetics of nature it's more likely you get birds that don't home and refer back to the wild type . You are just as likely to breed good progeny from two nothings . Winners are a very small percentage of birds ever bred . However in your quest you will breed good homers , these wont win but are the vital steps to breeding that freak of nature the winner . These are the 2% of a racing loft . Nature always wants to breed robust birds these wont always be fastest these are bred purely for survival in your quest is to breed the freak the winner . So as stated the winners are best to start with these contain that freak gene you wish to have within your loft , now you have a collection of birds the best way to form a family is around the freak the winner so best to put this bird to as many birds within your loft if a cock this can be done on a bull system and this will determine the best hen for your selected cock . But nature is working against the freak and many will revert back to the wild type . So hopefully the freak you have passes the genes on through his next generation these are the true freak as genes pass from generation to generation . The more freaks you have within your loft the better the outcome for racing is . I have read upon this forum that certain flyer has bred years upon winners then nothing , yes this happens as the freak genes is depleted , good lofts bring in one freak line from the best he can seek and run through his birds , in reality most be of the wild type , some be good homers others will be consistent and only a few will ever be that freak , there's only ever one winner in each race the rest also runs . Lock in the freak genes and breed the winners . All the best OLDYELLOW

The art of breeding , a good start is winners , in this game nothing is guaranteed the price of a pigeon is only ever determined by how much you are willing to pay for it . Market is a simple supply and demand system . Two champions seem to be the ideal to give the best progeny . However due to genetics of nature it's more likely you get birds that don't home and refer back to the wild type . You are just as likely to breed good progeny from two nothings . Winners are a very small percentage of birds ever bred . However in your quest you will breed good homers , these wont win but are the vital steps to breeding that freak of nature the winner . These are the 2% of a racing loft . Nature always wants to breed robust birds these wont always be fastest these are bred purely for survival in your quest is to breed the freak the winner . So as stated the winners are best to start with these contain that freak gene you wish to have within your loft , now you have a collection of birds the best way to form a family is around the freak the winner so best to put this bird to as many birds within your loft if a cock this can be done on a bull system and this will determine the best hen for your selected cock . But nature is working against the freak and many will revert back to the wild type . So hopefully the freak you have passes the genes on through his next generation these are the true freak as genes pass from generation to generation . The more freaks you have within your loft the better the outcome for racing is . I have read upon this forum that certain flyer has bred years upon winners then nothing , yes this happens as the freak genes is depleted , good lofts bring in one freak line from the best he can seek and run through his birds , in reality most be of the wild type , some be good homers others will be consistent and only a few will ever be that freak , there's only ever one winner in each race the rest also runs . Lock in the freak genes and breed the winners . All the best OLDYELLOW

good read but a bit much calling winners freaks.if i only bred 2% winners i would have packed up long ago

Got a bit mind boggling for me. The freaks, wild type, good homers through me right of the scent of the message of the post I feel. The freaks must be the supers or the repeaters as we'd call them I'd imagine?

The wild type of pigeon is the rock dove hanging to cliffs scavenging for food you could say this is the natural state of racing pigeons we keep now . These don't travel 100's of miles to seek food . Man has made these into the race birds we have now . We have developed these birds to home ok this is natural , but taking them hundreds of miles nature never intended is not natural , pigeons are non migratory birds so never have to do this in there wild / natural state . So the birds that are ahead of the rest are in my mind not of the normal type these are freaks birds that are far superior to there counterpart homers , these birds don't always pass on there winning ability to there offspring so reverting back to the natural type the type we see naturally in the wild , the birds we all seek is the birds that breed generation after generation the winners these are far away from the natural wild type , nature breeds survivors , survival of the fittest. Our quest is to breed winners , so the freaks are those one's that win and breed there like generation after generation ;)

good read but a bit much calling winners freaks.if i only bred 2% winners i would have packed up long ago

you may have bred many winners but you need birds in your loft to pass on these traits the fact is every race only has 1 winner :) be 1 in 600 1 in 6,000 birds still one winner

Guest geordiejen

pigeon breeding can be looked on in many different ways.we all take different methods in our breeding and it would be a good topic for everyone to put in there tupenceworth.if its only 2% of birds bred are potential winners then where does the 98% go?

• 5 years later...