Rain

blue pied

only 2 days away from raceday , does putting your birds out in the rain today do them any good? :emoticon-0138-thinking: :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Mine been oot twice the day in the pisser nae probs. The stock in the aviray sat in it most of day!

I don't like my widowers out in the rain, if they get caught in it, the heating in the loft goes on. But my widows only go out once a day

Toooo posh for me :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Seriously tho do you bath yer widowers regularly?

Once a week mate and then the heating will go on. As I said I only exercise my widows once a day, and being cold and damp is a real form killer in my opinion.

Dont mind the rain for them as long as yer loft is nice and dry with good air then I think its beneficial?

No warm hand baths on a friday moorning for you then mate?

Guest Gareth Rankin

6 oc at the most today, with rain all day and a cold notherly wind, didn't see how it could do them any good so kept them in the loft.

Agree it's not any fun for us standing in the rain watching the birds out in it, but IMO the choice to be out in it must be theirs. Opened the doors this morning OBs went out in it no bother. Both hens & cocks flew in that wind and rain for over an hour each. Only the wind stopped me letting YBs out, if it had just been raining, they'd have been allowed out too, on their own.

Wouldn't dream of training in that weather but I reckon watching how the birds handle it locally gives me some confidence that they're less likely to ground on race days, if they meet the same on the way home.

Guest stb-

Mine been oot twice the day in the pisser nae probs. The stock in the aviray sat in it most of day!

mine oot all day every day in the pisser only kept in if the winds very heavy due to over head pylons . most of the birds were bone dry in the heavy rain only a few pairs feeding yb were a bit wet round the face and neck but the birds on eggs were like ducks water tight just runs of them

mine oot all day every day in the pisser only kept in if the winds very heavy due to over head pylons . most of the birds were bone dry in the heavy rain only a few pairs feeding yb were a bit wet round the face and neck but the birds on eggs were like ducks water tight just runs of them

An old gentlemen, much cleverer than me, once told me that a good sign of condition was how quick the bird LOOKED dry after a wet fly!!!

Now he might just have been telling a youngun like I was then a lot tosh but who knows????

If ye are racin frae a distance to Scotland then there is a fair chance that they will encounter heavy showers or prolonged rain somewhere on route and then his theory of how quick they recover or how they handle it would come into play I suppose?

Mine are wee fine weather softies like me ,dont mind warm rain its the cold stuff that knocks the form of omo :emoticon-0156-rain: Although have noticed if let out in rain when they are in real tops they dont want to come down

it rains here everyday anyway and if not daytime then nightime really is unbelievable usually cant get birds even trained properly ,worst year ive ever saw in racing pigeons and we are due to fly the channel in 3/4 weeks.

Your spot on there ,and here's me laughed at my neighbour when he moved to cyprus :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Guest stb-

An old gentlemen, much cleverer than me, once told me that a good sign of condition was how quick the bird LOOKED dry after a wet fly!!!

Now he might just have been telling a youngun like I was then a lot tosh but who knows????

If ye are racin frae a distance to Scotland then there is a fair chance that they will encounter heavy showers or prolonged rain somewhere on route and then his theory of how quick they recover or how they handle it would come into play I suppose?

it was comming doon in torrents today and i was sitting watching the birds slapping about all over the sky like it was a summers evening felt cold and miserable for me but they seemed to be enjoying it

some of the cocks were up and doon to the feild picking up twigs etc for there nests and were bone dry all the time :animatedpigeons: