Feeding For Yb Racing

Guest Dorset-lad

Guest Dorset-lad

Hi all as this is my first season back racing, my aim is to build myself a team of young cocks for widowhood next season, so was just wondering what other fanciers advice would be on feeding these youngbirds during raceing as im not to bothered in chasing young bird races, just want them to be well schooled ?.... They will not be on darkness this season, so it would be nice to hear how you aproach you're YB season thinking off the following season.

Regards Brian

PS lets have you.re views lads and lasses please. :D

feed a good breeding / weaning mix for 3 weeks then start to feed the corn you wish to race on with 20% barley , getting birds in control / pre conditioned to feeding will set them up for life whistle whilst feeding , then trapping is so much easier Laurent covered this in his Q&A :)

Guest Dorset-lad

feed a good breeding / weaning mix for 3 weeks then start to feed the corn you wish to race on with 20% barley , getting birds in control / pre conditioned to feeding will set them up for life whistle whilst feeding , then trapping is so much easier Laurent covered this in his Q&A :)

I know Mark ive had a read off all the Q&A and they were very well dealt with... but also its nice to hear other people's views, and thankyou for your,s :emoticon-0137-clapping::animatedpigeons:

When I raced my youngsters 'naturally' I fed Marimans Super-M. Two feeds a day, the first feed was mixed with depurative making it a 50/50 mix at around a 1/3 of an ounce per pigeon, the evening feed was 100% Super-M at around 1 ounce per pigeon. This of course had to be tweaked because the more work they put in around home plus the training they had could mean they my need a tad more. I trained them 2-3 times a week at around 35 mile (the harder they were trained the slower they moulted). I use to let them pair if they so wished which meant they didn't exercise around home too good but if I got them sitting it would slow them down in the moult. The only time they got any seed or trapping mix was when I exercised them around home before I took them training, just enough to trap them in, no seed given apart from that as again its was all about slowing the moult down. The day prior to basketing their daily ration was 3/4 ounce per pigeon of Super-M & the day of basketing they got 1/2 ounce of 50/50 (Super-M/Depurative) per pigeon.

A mistake a lot of folk make is to give them too much feed on the day prior to basketing and consequentially they eat little on the day of basketing. More youngsters are lost through dehydration than anything else so giving them a half decent feed on basketing day ensures they have a good drink after they've eaten and if all is well they've had digested it all come marking.