War Lofts

Guest Rangeview

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

My fathers pigeons were used in the war,whilst he was away serving his country all the birds were looked after by my mum,army personnel would arrive at the loft and take a number of birds away with them,for some reason it was never any more than 10 at any given time,these were old birds,no young birds were taken.No information was ever given as to when any birds would be expected to return,but remember mum telling me that it was normally two or three weeks before any would return.The lofts were fitted with a battery operated bell,the trap would remain open 24/7 and when a bird returned the bell would ring untill it was reset,I remember mum saying that when the bell was ringing all the neighbours would come out and gather on the washing greens out the backies.on the birds return my mother would remove a small capsule that was attached to the birds leg(must have been like an e.t.s.ring)she would remove it and take it to the chemist shop a short distance away,where messages were decoded and passed on to higher authorities the chemist shop my mother said had a 24 hr door bell this was kept in a locked metal box to which mum had a key........these were the days,A feed allowance was allowed for feeding the birds,I remember mum saying that the allowance was far in excess of what they needed so the lofts in the backies got free feed most of the time,many birds failed to return...Dad received a enameled label badge "pigeon war service" he wore this badge in his blue demob suit with great pride,Older fanciers have a lot of great knowledge to pass on to younger fanciers.......cheers...JBC/.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...